sendmail and UUCP to Internet addressing situation

sendmail and UUCP to Internet addressing situation

Post by John 'Hemo' Hieme » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Salutations!

I've configured sendmail as supplied with SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 and hooked up
with my 'smarthost' as my Internet UUCP feed.

All unknown addresses get sent via UUCP (dialup) to our Internet provider,
just as we desire.

The mail addresses on the 'From' and 'Reply-To' lines are a mess.  I enter a

'system!system.domain.com!john'

ick

Has anyone run into this, or can anyone provide tips, clues, solutions to
this situation?

Appreaciate all responses, thanks!

 |  |                      John 'Hemo' Hiemenz
 __ |  -_)  ` \   _ \  http://www.cloudnet.com/~hemo

  '...Running Madly into the Wind and Screaming...'

Post by Berni Ern » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: Salutations!

: I've configured sendmail as supplied with SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 and hooked up
: with my 'smarthost' as my Internet UUCP feed.

: All unknown addresses get sent via UUCP (dialup) to our Internet provider,
: just as we desire.

: The mail addresses on the 'From' and 'Reply-To' lines are a mess.  I enter a

: 'system!system.domain.com!john'

: ick

: Has anyone run into this, or can anyone provide tips, clues, solutions to
: this situation?

: Appreaciate all responses, thanks!

Did you get any hints for this problem ? If yes please let me know as
I am in the same situation.

thx

berni

| and to nothing else !                                   |

Post by Danny Aldh » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: I've configured sendmail as supplied with SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 and hooked up
: with my 'smarthost' as my Internet UUCP feed.
: All unknown addresses get sent via UUCP (dialup) to our Internet provider,
: just as we desire.
: The mail addresses on the 'From' and 'Reply-To' lines are a mess.  I enter a

: 'system!system.domain.com!john'
: ick

You have a ruleset problem. Check your rulesets 0 and 3 . There
are no quick & simple answers with sendmail. That is why O'Reilly
is able to sell their 1000+ page book. You might want to try posting
to comp.mail.sendmail. You can test your rulesets by running
./sendmail -bt
and then entering the ruleset number & the address to test, like:
$ /usr/lib/sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

--
Danny Aldham           SCO Ace , MCSE , JAPH , DAD
I don't need to hide my e-mail address, I broke my sendmail.

sendmail and UUCP to Internet addressing situation

Post by John 'Hemo' Hieme » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Salutations!

My first post elicited no responses, so I'm determined to continue posting
this message weekly until I can get it straightend out.

Post by Paul Schoonderwoer » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Salutations!

> My first post elicited no responses, so I'm determined to continue posting
> this message weekly until I can get it straightend out.

> I've configured sendmail as supplied with SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 and hooked up
> with my 'smarthost' as my Internet UUCP feed.

> All unknown addresses get sent via UUCP (dialup) to our Internet provider,
> just as we desire.

> The mail addresses on the 'From' and 'Reply-To' lines are a mess.  I enter a

> 'system!system.domain.com!john'

> ick

> Has anyone run into this, or can anyone provide tips, clues, solutions to
> this situation?

> Appreaciate all responses, thanks!

>  |  |                      John 'Hemo' Hiemenz
>  __ |  -_)  ` \   _ \  http://www.cloudnet.com/~hemo

>   '...Running Madly into the Wind and Screaming...'

Yes, mkdev cf makes a mess of this.
You'll have to fiddle with the sendmail.cf configuration.
The from address is constructed in Ruleset 13 on SCO for the UUCP
mailer.
Look at chapter 10 in o'Reiylly's tcp/ip book for details on rulesets.

Regards,

Paul

sendmail and UUCP to Internet addressing situation

Post by Mark L. Wis » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

You will need to modify your sendmail.cf file to tell it to re-write the
return addresses in internet style .vs. UUCP (old style).

Do you know how to modify the sendmail.cf file??  Search for keyword "UUCP"
in the sendmail.cf file and see...

# convert old-style addresses to a domain-based address

This is the ruleset for doing it....

Mark

>> Salutations!

>> My first post elicited no responses, so I'm determined to continue posting
>> this message weekly until I can get it straightend out.

>> I've configured sendmail as supplied with SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 and hooked up
>> with my 'smarthost' as my Internet UUCP feed.

>> All unknown addresses get sent via UUCP (dialup) to our Internet provider,
>> just as we desire.

>> The mail addresses on the 'From' and 'Reply-To' lines are a mess.  I enter a

>> 'system!system.domain.com!john'

>> ick

>> Has anyone run into this, or can anyone provide tips, clues, solutions to
>> this situation?

>> Appreaciate all responses, thanks!

>>  |  |                      John 'Hemo' Hiemenz
>>  __ |  -_)  ` \   _ \  http://www.cloudnet.com/~hemo

>>   '...Running Madly into the Wind and Screaming...'

>Yes, mkdev cf makes a mess of this.
>You'll have to fiddle with the sendmail.cf configuration.
>The from address is constructed in Ruleset 13 on SCO for the UUCP
>mailer.
>Look at chapter 10 in o'Reiylly's tcp/ip book for details on rulesets.

>Regards,

>Paul

Mark L. Wise, CPIM               | Voice: (614)868-5033
President                        | Fax:   (614)868-1060

1312 Epworth Avenue              | WEB:   www.alpha2.com
Reynoldsburg, OH  43068-2116     | * Manufacturing/Distribution/Accounting SW

Post by Fred Smi » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: The mail addresses on the 'From' and 'Reply-To' lines are a mess.  I enter a

: 'system!system.domain.com!john'

: Has anyone run into this, or can anyone provide tips, clues, solutions to
: this situation?

I don't know which version of sendmail you have, and it may make a
difference. On my Linux box, with sendmail 8.8.4, it is easily set up
in the ".mc" file (the file from which your sendmail.cf is produced)
by adding lines like:

        define(`SMART_HOST', uucp-dom:connact)
        define(`UUCP_RELAY', uucp-dom:connact)

In this case, the part after the colon (the "connact') is the name of
my smarthost, who also happens to be the normal uucp relay.

The part that says "uucp-dom" means that even though transport is
via uucp, that it uses domainized addressing.

It MIGHT not be the same on older versions, I understand that somewhere
around 8.8 the .mc file contents changed.

Fred
--

                    The Lord detests the wayof the wicked

1. MMDF-addressing internet mail sent by UUCP

I'm using OSN3.0 (Unix 3.2v4.2) and just setting up a UUCP connection to
an ISP for internet email.  Everything works, but outgoing headers are
being rewritten by MMDF to look like UUCP-style addressing instead of
rfc822 addressing.

I'm using the badhost channel to get all outside mail (unrecognized
host) to go to the internet.  The mmdftailor entry looks like:
  MCHN badhosts, show="Internet routing", tbl=uuchn, ap=822, mod=reg,
     pgm=uucp, host="nwnexus", level=BST

For example, if I type

MMDF queues a request like the following (from uustat)
   01/15-14:30  S  nwnexus  mmdf  rmail halycon.com!dagon

It appears that nwnexus is fixing it somehow, as mail is actually
delivered, but the headers look rather odd and I'm concerned that with
all the rewriting someone will eventually find an address that breaks.

My first question is: Does it matter that the addresses look UUCP-ish if
they're working?  My second is: How do I convince MMDF to send
internet-style destination headers via UUCP?

Thanks much
--

2. AS255/300 and 18GB Disk

3. UUCP vs Internet mail addressing

4. /var/log/lastlog

5. How to send mail to uucp address from internet?

6. El Torito

7. Handling Internet addressing for UUCP hosts under Solaris 2.3

8. SLIP/TIA - Almost ... but not quite

9. <From> address messed up by Sendmail and UUCP

10. UUCP --> Internet --> UUCP connection

11. Linux SendMail Problem - Internet Email Address Rejected

12. Sendmail routing to UUCP host on OS5.0.4 (sendmail 8.8.5)

13. weird routing/firewall/internet situation. Help?