SCO OpenServer,Mylex DAC960

Post by Peter Bla » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

We are having some trouble with divvy when we do not accept the
defaults on a clean (initialized the drive pack first) install
of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2.  The system will not boot.  We can
boot from a floppy and all the files are there.  Using dparam,
etc does not solve the problem.  The error message is:

not a directory

boot not found
cannot open
Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot

The fix on Edge's web site does not solve the problem.
Has anyone else run into this?

SCO OpenServer,Mylex DAC960

Post by Steve Faba » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We are having some trouble with divvy when we do not accept the
>defaults on a clean (initialized the drive pack first) install
>of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2.  The system will not boot.  We can
>boot from a floppy and all the files are there.  Using dparam,
>etc does not solve the problem.  The error message is:

>not a directory

>boot not found
>cannot open
>Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot

>The fix on Edge's web site does not solve the problem.
>Has anyone else run into this?

I have not installed on the Mylex controller. I have no trouble with
Adaptec 2940UW with 15M boot, 345M root, and using the rest of the disk
as u or appl. In fact, all my partitions are EAFS and in some cases XENIX
filesystems (I have had BAD experiences with HTFS: When things go wrong,
I can't use fsdb to fix the problem or even rename odd-ball file names).

Show us your divvy table and advise if you select the fully configurable
installation.

                                        Steve Fabac
                                         S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                           816/765-1670

Post by Anatoly Belychoo » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We are having some trouble with divvy when we do not accept the
> defaults on a clean (initialized the drive pack first) install
> of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2.  The system will not boot.  We can
> boot from a floppy and all the files are there.  Using dparam,
> etc does not solve the problem.  The error message is:

> not a directory

> boot not found
> cannot open
> Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot

> The fix on Edge's web site does not solve the problem.
> Has anyone else run into this?

Latest versions of Mylex firmware have a new feature: 2/8 Gb disk
geometry.  Factory default is 8Gb whereas SCO driver seems not
taking this setting into account, presuming 2Gb geometry.
This doesn't prevent mounting Mylex disks when booting from
another controller since BIOS is out of the game in this case,
but when one tries to boot from Mylex he gets exactly the same
diagnostics as yours.

Try pressing <Alt-M> during POST and set 2Gb disk geometry.
Hope this will help.

---
Anatoly Belychook          Business Console Ltd.         Moscow, Russia