FastStart/Virtual Domains

Post by Peter A. Dachnowi » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I'm working on virtual domains and am concerned about the load placed
on the host system.  Any rule of thumb out there for this?

Currently, I have 3 virtuals running but none of them are taking any
hits, only the httpd is running and I'm seeing loads of 2.0

Any insite on how to better optmize the system

FastStart/Virtual Domains

Post by Deepak Thadan » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I'm working on virtual domains and am concerned about the load placed
> on the host system.  Any rule of thumb out there for this?

> Currently, I have 3 virtuals running but none of them are taking any
> hits, only the httpd is running and I'm seeing loads of 2.0

> Any insite on how to better optmize the system

Ouch!  Those load averages are not making much sense!  I have
Fast Start running with 6 Virtual Domains and the load average
still stays below 1 usually...we have a clone PC running with
32 MB of RAM.  If you look at your processes CPU time, you
will find out which processes are eating up the CPU.  Use
ps -ef and the column to look for I believe is called "C".
Are those processes with non zero's there part of the internet
processes?  Let us know...              Deepak.

FastStart/Virtual Domains

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I'm working on virtual domains and am concerned about the load placed
> on the host system.  Any rule of thumb out there for this?

> Currently, I have 3 virtuals running but none of them are taking any
> hits, only the httpd is running and I'm seeing loads of 2.0

> Any insite on how to better optmize the system

Is there in fact any activity on the system?  Use `ps -ef | awk '$4>0'`
and `sar -u 1 10` -- anything happening?

There is a known misbehavior when the system is acting as an NFS server:
"ghost" loads will show up.  If it's flat at "2.00 2.00 2.00", chances
are you have a ghost load of 2.  This is documented at:

  http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?430045

Quote:>Bela<

1. Internet Faststart Virtual Domains & DNS

Has anyone managed to get the Email for Virtual Domains working under
Faststart 5.02. The Setup of the Virtual domains works well, the Web and
FTP sites are available, but if I add mail users to the Virtual domain
and try to send them mail I get a "553 Mail loops back to myself error"

The MX record in the DNS for myvdomain.com is

myvdomain.com.  IN      MX      0       www.myvdomain.com.

The Virtual Domains are on a Faststart Server, and mail set to Virtual
Domain users bounces to root and back to the sender. I'm assuming this
is a DNS issue, but there may be an issue with Faststart.

Any advice is appreciated.

Kirk J. Farquhar
*Infinity Systems Inc.   Suite 207, Markham, Ont.  Canada  L3R 9T3
*
*(905)946-0060             SCO Sales and Support                   *

2. Home-made serial interface for UPS

3. local users not receiving mail with internet faststart, virtual domains

4. FTP Server

5. Using Faststart with Virtual Domains and Mail

6. Netscape can't send long newsgroup postings

7. Virtual domains on FastStart

8. How to make users change password on first login?

9. virtual domains on faststart

10. FastStart, Sendmail & Virtual Domains...Help!

11. APACHE/Newbie: Virtual Domains under a Virtual Domain?

12. Virtual Domain/Sub Domain?

13. Virtual Domains/multiple domains - one server