Need help with Wyse-50 terminal emulation and inverse video

Need help with Wyse-50 terminal emulation and inverse video

Post by drant.. » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

How do I configure my emulation software so that inverse video is
active when I am emulating a Wyse-50 terminal.  I am running
Openserver 5.0.4 and neither my Wyse terminals or my emulation
software is seeing the inverse video.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

Don

Post by Pat Welc » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> How do I configure my emulation software so that inverse video is
> active when I am emulating a Wyse-50 terminal.  I am running
> Openserver 5.0.4 and neither my Wyse terminals or my emulation
> software is seeing the inverse video.

> Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

> Don

Hi, Don.

I'll bet the terminals have DIM set as the protected attribute.

Wyse 50's can only have ONE protected attribute at a time. If you use
the DIM mode as protected you can't use reverse and vice versa.

Both your terminal emulator and the real wyse 50's will have settings to
change for what is the protected attribute.

Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
           A SCO Authorized Reseller
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (209) 745-5640
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122

Post by Bill Campbel » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>How do I configure my emulation software so that inverse video is
>active when I am emulating a Wyse-50 terminal.  I am running
>Openserver 5.0.4 and neither my Wyse terminals or my emulation
>software is seeing the inverse video.

If you have a choice of emulations, try almost anything but wyse-50.
The Wyse-50 is particularly brain-dead regarding video attributes.
Wyse-60 is better, and ANSI probably the best (if anybody can figure
out what's true ANSI :-).

The Wyse-50 requires ``magic cookie'' video attribute which takes a
visible space on each side of the field making programming decent
displays somewhat difficult.  The only way around the cookies is to
use their ``protected'' mode which doesn't take a space, but only
allows a single mode, reverse-video or dim.

The wyse-60 emulation is better because it doesn't require the
cookies, but the arrow keys present problems because left-arrow
produces the same ctrl-H as the backspace which makes it a bit
difficult to do some things.

Bill
--

UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

It is necessary for the welfare of society that genius should be
privileged to utter sedition, to blaspheme, to outrage good taste, to
corrupt the youthful mind, and generally to scandalize one's uncles.
                -- George Bernard Shaw

1. wyse 50 terminal emulation

I need to set up a wyse 50 emulation for a telnet session on my Sun
workstation to my Sun E3000 which is running a legacy app that needs
function key mapping, etc.  Previously I have only set up Procomm
session from Win9x PC's.  I am new to CDE and was wondering is there a
native tool I could use or is there some other product that I should
install like I used Procomm for?  Many thanks for your help.

2. Partition Problems Under RedHat 8.0

3. Wyse 50 - Terminal Emulation for Linux ???

4. Can you send a signal from within a module?

5. CURSES, WYSE-50 Terminal, under XENIX

6. pppd problem

7. Setting up WYSE-50 Terminal

8. ***** HELP PLEASE Linux RH5.1 won't boot

9. setting abort sequence on Wyse-50 terminal

10. Wyse-50 terminal

11. Help! Communications setup for a Wyse-50.

12. Wyse-50 on Linux? HELP!

13. 3151 Wyse 50 emulation cartridges