MMDF & alias tables (mailing list) alias.list FORMAT

MMDF & alias tables (mailing list) alias.list FORMAT

Post by Bob Wille » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

We are running into something I cannot find in the docs anywhere.
We have tried this on SCO UNIX Enterprise 3.2v4.2 and OpenServer 3.2v5.0.4
We know how to setup a mailing list under MMDF:
create an alias.list in /usr/mmdf/table:   E.g

medmgr-outbound:        include: /usr/mmdf/lists/medmgr
medmgr-request: bob

and then in /usr/mmdf/lists/medmgr:   E.g.
bob

.... list.....

But the question, is it possible to have comments on each line, like you do
in an e-mail program?  Like

To make it easier to look at the list and maintain?
Just a list of addresses can be confusing (especially after a few months...)
Thanks for any ideas.

| CCS Enterprises, Inc.   P.O. Drawer 1690     Easton MD  21601 |
|               http://www.ccs.com     Come Visit Us !!         |
|  Personal homepage:  http://www.intercom.net/user/consult     |
|-------> (410) 820-4670 ------------ FAX: (410) 476-5261 <-----|

Post by Steve Wert » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>To make it easier to look at the list and maintain?
>Just a list of addresses can be confusing (especially after a few months...)
>Thanks for any ideas.

In my lists, I have always used the format:

and that has always seemed to work until the lists get too big for
a simple MMDF list (Too many concurrent mail messages always
blew up NREGION).  We had to slow down the rate of delivery with
a simple PERL script.

-sw

1. listing aliases w/o /etc/aliases

You know how you never discover your backup is bad until you're in
trouble?

I accidentally overwrote by /etc/aliases file. Now, it wasn't very
complicated, and I was able to create a reasonable facsimile by getting
/etc/aliases from another machine I administer (since the backup was bad)
and modifying it a bit. But I want to make sure it's correct. I haven't
run newaliases so my old aliases are still in place.

Is there a way to find out what aliases are on a machine without
consulting /etc/aliases? Ideally, I'd love something that works like
crontab -l does, but any port in a storm.

I'm running sendmail 8.9.1 under IRIX 6.5.8, and I've groveled over FAQs
and the man page to no avail. If you have an answer, please email me.

--

My opinions are my own. PGP public key available. Surreal poetry on request.
"I waked, she fled, and day brought back my night." --Milton

2. CDROM problems with PAS16

3. list/alias file format for smail ?

4. Professional Home Pages v3.0.8 released...

5. Alias Mailing List Question

6. Environ block on Sparc Solaris?

7. help) mailing list using sendmail aliases..

8. Wanted: Used or great deals on Routers

9. mail forwarding undr SCO mmdf - mailing lists?

10. mailing-list & list-server help needed

11. aliases, aliases, aliases...

12. script alias problem - Re: apache alias and script alias problem

13. MAILING-LIST: Linuxisp Mailing list