Java

Post by Istvan Goda » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
It should contain the java.awt module.

Istvan Godany
Consultronics Development

Java

Post by Danny Aldh » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
: It should contain the java.awt module.

As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
be years down the road.

--
Danny Aldham       www.postino.com
Need a UUCP E-Mail feed? - Ask me!

Java

Post by Mike Hopki » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
>: It should contain the java.awt module.

>As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
>take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
>be years down the road.

Or 1997 whichever comes first.

Its also going to be part of the next OpenServer Release and probably
available as a standalone package for earlier OpenServer and UW releases...

--
- hops

Everything disclaimed (including disclaimer)

Mike Hopkirk ( hops )  |       Whenever possible steal code.
SCO Inc                |          Tom Duff. Bell Labs

Java

Post by Danny Aldh » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: >: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
: >: It should contain the java.awt module.
: >As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
: >take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
: >be years down the road.

: Or 1997 whichever comes first.
: Its also going to be part of the next OpenServer Release and probably
: available as a standalone package for earlier OpenServer and UW releases...

Good news. Now if only we can convince Symantec or Sun to port their
development environments to the Java VM, we could do some real work,
sometime in 1997.

--

Post by Jerry Heym » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: : >: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
: : >: It should contain the java.awt module.
: : >As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
: : >take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
: : >be years down the road.

: : Or 1997 whichever comes first.
: : Its also going to be part of the next OpenServer Release and probably
: : available as a standalone package for earlier OpenServer and UW releases...

: Good news. Now if only we can convince Symantec or Sun to port their
: development environments to the Java VM, we could do some real work,
: sometime in 1997.

Has anyone looked at porting guavac?  This is the GNU implimentation of
Java.  I downloaded the current version (0.2.5), and tried to compile with
CC - no luck.  Haven't had the time to try using gcc/g++.

:
: --
: Danny Aldham       www.postino.com
: Need a UUCP E-Mail feed? - Ask me!
: Dial-up access in British Columbia. TCP access around the World.

jerry
--

Combat System Simulation                   | http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~jerry
Applied Research Laboratories of UT Austin | "Software is the difference

Java

Post by Nils Myklebu » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:>: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
:>: It should contain the java.awt module.
:>
:>As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
:>take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
:>be years down the road.

:Or 1997 whichever comes first.

:Its also going to be part of the next OpenServer Release and probably
:available as a standalone package for earlier OpenServer and UW releases...

What's taking so long? Java is available so many places, but not on
SCO.
Of course we can't wait for Gemini, so the OpenServer Release is fine,
but does anyone know a release date.

I assume Java is available if one installs a Netscape server on SCO
today, running as server side Java code. Can anyone confirm this?

We however also need to run Java applications on SCO. That is stand
alone programs, and would need a Java VM for this. When will this
arrive?

The problem of a Java VM on SCO is that it will (again I assume) be
dependent on X-Windows, and run under that. We however also intend to
develop batch programs run from cron (or from a character based
command line) with no user interface. Will SCO make this available and
usefull without any X-Windows setup? For our application this is the
most important part in fact.

I like SCO, but the Java support is starting to make me conserned.
The tarantella project (http://tarantella.sco.com) shows that SCO are
doing a lot in and with Java, but what about us, the customers?

NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway
My opinions are those of my company
The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org

Java

Post by Michael Davids » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>We however also need to run Java applications on SCO. That is stand
>alone programs, and would need a Java VM for this. When will this
>arrive?

Sorry, I can't give an exact date yet, but expect it very soon.

Quote:>The problem of a Java VM on SCO is that it will (again I assume) be
>dependent on X-Windows, and run under that. We however also intend to
>develop batch programs run from cron (or from a character based
>command line) with no user interface. Will SCO make this available and
>usefull without any X-Windows setup? For our application this is the
>most important part in fact.

No - the JVM on SCO will not require X and it will be perfectly
possible to build Java applications that do not have a graphical
user interface. Of course you will need X and Motif if you want
to build applications that use the AWT classes.

Java

Post by Mike Hopki » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>:>: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
>:>: It should contain the java.awt module.
>:>
>:>As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
>:>take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
>:>be years down the road.

>:Or 1997 whichever comes first.

>:Its also going to be part of the next OpenServer Release and probably
>:available as a standalone package for earlier OpenServer and UW releases...

>What's taking so long? Java is available so many places, but not on
>SCO.

Yes.

Quote:>Of course we can't wait for Gemini, so the OpenServer Release is fine,
>but does anyone know a release date.

I believe the currently quotable date area for the next Comet release is Q2 97.

Quote:>I assume Java is available if one installs a Netscape server on SCO
>today, running as server side Java code. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't know about the server side Java support but applets are runnable from
the Netscape 3.0 Browser...

Quote:>We however also need to run Java applications on SCO. That is stand
>alone programs, and would need a Java VM for this.
> When will this arrive?

The slated release is with the next Comet release (above). As i said there
may be a standalone package released at about the same time. (JDK 1.1).

Quote:>The problem of a Java VM on SCO is that it will (again I assume) be
>dependent on X-Windows, and run under that.

The peer implementation of awt uses X/Motif - yes ...

Quote:>We however also intend to
>develop batch programs run from cron (or from a character based
>command line) with no user interface.
> Will SCO make this available and usefull without any X-Windows setup?

I'm not sure what you're after here..

If you don't use AWT in your classes it won't use  the X/Motif native classes
Your classes run fine as tty oriented or daemon programs

If you want a specific JVM that has no support built for any
access via awt to X/Motif then thats liable to be different again...

Quote:> For our application this is the most important part in fact.

>I like SCO, but the Java support is starting to make me conserned.

If its any consolation,
We have various versions of alpha, beta and pre release ports for both UW and
OSr5 being used here but its been the perception that we probably don't
want to release them for end use yet...
--
- hops

Everything disclaimed (including disclaimer)

Mike Hopkirk ( hops )  |       Whenever possible steal code.
SCO Inc                |          Tom Duff. Bell Labs

Java

Post by Nils Myklebu » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

This and the post from Mike Hopkirk all sounds greate.
We'll go ahead designing on Windows NT (would have done that anyway
using Visual Cafe and/or other products) and wait eagerly for SCO's
Java support.

:>
[...]

Post by Nils Myklebu » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Thanks for this, and it looks greate.

One thing I didn't spesify that we need is tiered implementation of
programs. That is some way of runing programs with objects on the
client (MS Windows, NC or whatever) and the SCO server. Will your Java
implementation support this? I assume this, but not knowing too much
about Java yet I thought I could ask.

Will it support and/or require CORBA or use/support some other
mechanism?
As to CORBA it seems to require some separate server. Visigenic is
making one but on their web site they give a runtime price of US$ 5000
which makes it completely uninteresting for us. It doesn't currently
run on SCO either so it's not very usefull, but the general question
is only to get some idea of what products we will need, and what their
costs will be.

Some idea of the price of the SCO JVM would also be nice. I realise
it's probably too early for anything exact, but you may know if it's
intended to be included with the Comet release or have a separate
price?

See also further comments below.

:>
:>:>: Does anybody know about a JAVA interpreter for SCO.(and JDK)
:>:>: It should contain the java.awt module.
:>:>
:>:>As much as I am an SCO fan, if you are doing Java dev. you should
:>:>take a look at NT. SCO have promised Java in Gemini, but that could
:>:>be years down the road.
:>
:>:Or 1997 whichever comes first.
:>
:>:Its also going to be part of the next OpenServer Release and probably
:>:available as a standalone package for earlier OpenServer and UW releases...
:>
:>What's taking so long? Java is available so many places, but not on
:>SCO.

:Yes.

:>Of course we can't wait for Gemini, so the OpenServer Release is fine,
:>but does anyone know a release date.

:I believe the currently quotable date area for the next Comet release is Q2 97.

A little late, but it will probably take us that much time to learn
and Java and implement code anyway. In the meantime we'll use Windows
NT.

:>I assume Java is available if one installs a Netscape server on SCO
:>today, running as server side Java code. Can anyone confirm this?

:I don't know about the server side Java support but applets are runnable from
:the Netscape 3.0 Browser...

Not very interesting for us. The serverside is what we are after. We
do however hope not to be dependent on a web server anyway.

:>We however also need to run Java applications on SCO. That is stand
:>alone programs, and would need a Java VM for this.
:> When will this arrive?

:The slated release is with the next Comet release (above). As i said there
:may be a standalone package released at about the same time. (JDK 1.1).

JDK 1.1 is of course the only one we would want to use, and this may
explain some of SCO's delay here.

:>The problem of a Java VM on SCO is that it will (again I assume) be
:>dependent on X-Windows, and run under that.

:The peer implementation of awt uses X/Motif - yes ...
Of course, and fine.

:>We however also intend to
:>develop batch programs run from cron (or from a character based
:>command line) with no user interface.
:> Will SCO make this available and usefull without any X-Windows setup?

:I'm not sure what you're after here..

:If you don't use AWT in your classes it won't use  the X/Motif native classes
:Your classes run fine as tty oriented or daemon programs

That's exactly what I am after.

:If you want a specific JVM that has no support built for any
:access via awt to X/Motif then thats liable to be different again...

No, this is no problem as long as I can run the programs as stated
when I have not used the AWT.

:> For our application this is the most important part in fact.
:>
:>I like SCO, but the Java support is starting to make me conserned.

:If its any consolation,
:We have various versions of alpha, beta and pre release ports for both UW and
:OSr5 being used here but its been the perception that we probably don't
:want to release them for end use yet...

You realy ought to release a beta version as soon as possible.

:--

Post by Mike Hopki » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Thanks for this, and it looks greate.

>One thing I didn't spesify that we need is tiered implementation of
>programs. That is some way of runing programs with objects on the
>client (MS Windows, NC or whatever) and the SCO server. Will your Java
>implementation support this? I assume this, but not knowing too much
>about Java yet I thought I could ask.

JDK 1.1 has something called RMI which allows invocation of remote objects
This will give you one flavour of doing what you want (the downside is that
its Java to Java only)

Quote:

>Will it support and/or require CORBA or use/support some other
>mechanism?

Exactly what bits we need to add support/provide gateways to is still
being worked out...
- CORBA access (and vendors) have been one of the discussion
    points - ( so  probably a tentative eventually maybe yes ... (:-) )

Quote:>...

>Some idea of the price of the SCO JVM would also be nice. I realise
>it's probably too early for anything exact, but you may know if it's
>intended to be included with the Comet release or have a separate
>price?

<note disclaimer below>
The (engineering) thinking so far seems to have been that this is going
to be core OS technology so it should be supplied with the OS releases
same as the other Base technology is....

    That may change depending on any perceived business case or the
exact status may vary depending on the platform its provided on or whatever...

>See also further comments below.

>:>I assume Java is available if one installs a Netscape server on SCO
>:>today, running as server side Java code. Can anyone confirm this?

>:I don't know about the server side Java support but applets are runnable from
>:the Netscape 3.0 Browser...

>Not very interesting for us. The serverside is what we are after. We
>do however hope not to be dependent on a web server anyway.

I saw some reports yesterday of an upgraded test suite for the Netscape Servers
to test the Server Java support - I suspect that means that you could use
the server as a JVM, subject to whatever limitations the server
 environment imposes

Quote:> ...

>You realy ought to release a beta version as soon as possible.

Yes.
--
- hops

Everything disclaimed (including disclaimer)

Mike Hopkirk ( hops )  |       Whenever possible steal code.
SCO Inc                |          Tom Duff. Bell Labs

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. bourne shell question

3. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

4. Set sh-variables out of content of a file

5. Catch-22: How to ugrade the RedHat compiler to GNU gcc?

6. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object

7. ViRGE Cache misses

8. Java with HotSpot on FreeBSD (Was: Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java)

9. java/jdk14 broken java.net.NetworkInterface (SIOCGIFCONF)

10. Java applet and Java plug-in

11. SSRT3582 Potential Sec. Vulnerability in Java VM (J2SE) and the Java Plugin

12. java/44380: patch for java-commapi-freebsd