Upgrade from Current OSR5.0.0 to 5.0.2?

Post by Jim Valavani » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I received my quarterly update for SCO OSR5.0.2.  I currently run 5.0.0
and noticed in the notes that it says I cannot upgrade from 5.0.0  to
5.0.2!

I assume I have to do a complete reinstall to receive all the new
updates and patches that have been associated with 5.0.2?

If I do that can I restore certain files from backup on the root
partition and avoid causing system problems?  Like MMDF and DNS setups?

Hope someone can answer this question.
Jim

  \   Kessler/Asher Group at     |   phone (312)786-4779         /
   \  the CBOE                   |   fax (312)786-4776          /
    ______  _______  _________       __        __       ______
   / ____/ /__  __/ /___  ___/      / /       / /      / ____/
  / /        / /       / /  _____  / /       / /      / /
 / /____  __/ /__     / /  /____/ / /_____  / /____  / /____
/______/ /______/    /_/         /_______/ /______/ /______/

Upgrade from Current OSR5.0.0 to 5.0.2?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Jim Valavanis propounded certain bytes, to wit:
| I received my quarterly update for SCO OSR5.0.2.  I currently run 5.0.0
| and noticed in the notes that it says I cannot upgrade from 5.0.0  to
| 5.0.2!
|
| I assume I have to do a complete reinstall to receive all the new
| updates and patches that have been associated with 5.0.2?
|
| If I do that can I restore certain files from backup on the root
| partition and avoid causing system problems?  Like MMDF and DNS setups?

Unless you want to run your site in French or German, avoid this
*ic exercise.  It is very difficult to do it right.

I have a file of 124 files and directories from the root filesystem
which I save (and NOT the symmlinks, but the actual contents) before
attempting this, and this list has gone trhough several iterations already.

There's always another .file in / , another /etc/default file,  another
inittab or gettytab or printcap, that should have been saved and then
needs to be found somewhere on a multi-Gigabyte master backup tape.