Problem with big IDE HD under SCO Unix

Post by Tom Parson » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Postmaster writes:
>Hi all!
>I have simple PC-computer with EIDE and big cheap IDE HD
>( Fujitsu 16 heads, 2048 cyls, 64 sector/track, 512 b/sector )
>1048 Mb capacity. I`d like to install SCO 3.2v4.2 or SCO ODT 3.0
>on whole disk but I have big problem. In documentation said that
>I can use only first 1024 cyl ! If I set 1024 cyl in disk parameters
>I loose half disk. If I set true parameters OS does hang up during
>installation. What I had to do to fix this problem ?
>May be someone resolve this stoopid restriction ?

You are only restricted to 1024 cylinders if you have a msdos partition
on the hard disk.

The best solution is to get Supplement uod429 which adds support for EIDE
drives and ATAPI cdrom drives.

Post by Postmaste » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi all!
I have simple PC-computer with EIDE and big cheap IDE HD
( Fujitsu 16 heads, 2048 cyls, 64 sector/track, 512 b/sector )
1048 Mb capacity. I`d like to install SCO 3.2v4.2 or SCO ODT 3.0
on whole disk but I have big problem. In documentation said that
I can use only first 1024 cyl ! If I set 1024 cyl in disk parameters
I loose half disk. If I set true parameters OS does hang up during
installation. What I had to do to fix this problem ?
May be someone resolve this stoopid restriction ?
Please reply to me
Best regard
SA Andrew

---

Post by Tom Philli » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Postmaster writes:
>>Hi all!
>>I have simple PC-computer with EIDE and big cheap IDE HD
>>( Fujitsu 16 heads, 2048 cyls, 64 sector/track, 512 b/sector )
>>1048 Mb capacity. I`d like to install SCO 3.2v4.2 or SCO ODT 3.0
>>on whole disk but I have big problem. In documentation said that
>>I can use only first 1024 cyl ! If I set 1024 cyl in disk parameters
>>I loose half disk. If I set true parameters OS does hang up during
>>installation. What I had to do to fix this problem ?
>>May be someone resolve this stoopid restriction ?

>You are only restricted to 1024 cylinders if you have a msdos partition
>on the hard disk.

>The best solution is to get Supplement uod429 which adds support for EIDE
>drives and ATAPI cdrom drives.

Another option is to setup your BIOS to "Large" mode, which will halve your
cyls and double the heads.  This will make SCO happy also.

Tom Phillips
Employers Resource