'too many userids' when running 'quot'

Post by cdar.. » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to use the "quot" command to identify heavy disk users.  I get the Message "quot: too many userids".  This is understandable
since I have all of my student accounts created on it.  The report is incomplete and doesn't show some of the heaviest users.  Is there
a way to use the quot command or is there an alternative?

...Chuck Darney

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I'm trying to use the "quot" command to identify heavy disk users.  I get the Message "quot: too many userids".  This is understandable
> since I have all of my student accounts created on it.  The report is incomplete and doesn't show some of the heaviest users.  Is there
> a way to use the quot command or is there an alternative?

You can see that this is a pretty old Techincal Article:

 Using the quot command gives the error "Too many user id's."

 KEYWORDS: quot uid user unix filesystem passwd mnttab du cmchk summarize
 ownership too many ids memory fault core dump options arguments

 RELEASE: SCO UNIX System V/386 Operating System Release 3.2.0 and 3.2.1

 PROBLEM: Using the quot command with the -f or -n option causes an error
          message, "quot: too many user id's."  Using the quot command with
          the -c option causes a memory fault core dump.

 SOLUTION: This problem was corrected in the SCO UNIX System V/386 Operating
           System Release 3.2v2.  Users with this problem should upgrade
           their systems to 3.2v2.

--

'too many userids' when running 'quot'

Post by cdar.. » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>  > I'm trying to use the "quot" command to identify heavy disk users.  I get the Message "quot: too

many userids".  This is understandable
Quote:>  > since I have all of my student accounts created on it.  The report is incomplete and doesn't

show some of the heaviest users.  Is there

>  > a way to use the quot command or is there an alternative?

>  You can see that this is a pretty old Techincal Article:

>   Using the quot command gives the error "Too many user id's."

>   KEYWORDS: quot uid user unix filesystem passwd mnttab du cmchk summarize
>   ownership too many ids memory fault core dump options arguments

>   RELEASE: SCO UNIX System V/386 Operating System Release 3.2.0 and 3.2.1

>   PROBLEM: Using the quot command with the -f or -n option causes an error
>      message, "quot: too many user id's."  Using the quot command with
>      the -c option causes a memory fault core dump.

>   SOLUTION: This problem was corrected in the SCO UNIX System V/386 Operating
>       System Release 3.2v2.  Users with this problem should upgrade
>       their systems to 3.2v2.

>  --

I'm currently running rel 3.2v4.2.  I don't get a core dump (whew!), but it appears to report on only the
first 999 uid's.

Chuck Darney

1. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

                 ^                                        ^
Wrong quotes, should be -
   echo "You have" `grep Subject: /usr/spool/mail/me | wc -l` "messages."
or -
   echo "You have `grep Subject: /usr/spool/mail/me | wc -l` messages."

But, another problem is, if you've no mail, /usr/spool/mail/me does not
exist, leading grep to say:
   grep: can't open /usr/spool/mail/me
Wc will still report 0.

You might try -
   sh -c 'echo "You have `grep 2>/dev/null Subject: /usr/spool/mail/me | wc -l` messages."'

Hope this helps.

2. Small Problem Xmailtool

3. boot in single mode.

4. RH 4.0 upgrade fails: 'hostname' ok, but 'uname -n' == "(none)"

5. chmod setting in /var/spool/mail

6. "rm: can't unlink 'files'",can't delete files

7. Stupid newbie question

8. running a 'C' program with different userid

9. 'incvers' error when running 'make'

10. Problem running 'waisq' in 'chroot' file system

11. Upgrading 'arad' Drivers to 'alad' on Altos 7000 running Altos SCO Unix

12. How to get 'SIZE' and 'RES' when running TOP in C?