Netfinity 5600 and the AMD PCI net

Post by j.. » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Here's something I would love to have some comment on:

Installed OSE 506 on IBM Netfinity 5600 using ibmraid BTLD;
works fine. During installation AMD PCInet card is correctly recognised.
It's also working .... but,
llistat -l shows the card is running at 10Mb
My switch says it's running at 100Mb
Next I changed the 'speed' entry in the space.c file for the
pnt driver (relink, reboot), but this didn't change anything.
Then I checked the 'Failover net 10/100' diskette also available
from IBM for this configuration. I found (can't remember the
exact numbers) that the driver in the 506 was from 1999 version 77.1
and the driver on the IBM disk was from 1995 version 3.9.
This can't be right?

Well, removed the card using netconfig (relink,reboot)
installed the driver from ibm (relink, reboot), installed the
card using netconfig (relink,reboot)
changed the 'speed' entry in the space.c file (relink, reboot)
and guess what?
llistat -l showed 100Mb!

Apart from the fact that ftp and rcp are still on less than 10Mb
(from sco to sco) this was a great adventure.

--
Jurriaan Aaftink
Networkadministration

Post by Fabio Giannott » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Here's something I would love to have some comment on:

> Installed OSE 506 on IBM Netfinity 5600 using ibmraid BTLD;
> works fine. During installation AMD PCInet card is correctly recognised.
> It's also working .... but,
> llistat -l shows the card is running at 10Mb
> My switch says it's running at 100Mb
> Next I changed the 'speed' entry in the space.c file for the
> pnt driver (relink, reboot), but this didn't change anything.
> Then I checked the 'Failover net 10/100' diskette also available
> from IBM for this configuration. I found (can't remember the
> exact numbers) that the driver in the 506 was from 1999 version 77.1
> and the driver on the IBM disk was from 1995 version 3.9.
> This can't be right?

> Well, removed the card using netconfig (relink,reboot)
> installed the driver from ibm (relink, reboot), installed the
> card using netconfig (relink,reboot)
> changed the 'speed' entry in the space.c file (relink, reboot)
> and guess what?
> llistat -l showed 100Mb!

> Apart from the fact that ftp and rcp are still on less than 10Mb
> (from sco to sco) this was a great adventure.

You said that llistat -l showed your card running at 10, and the switch
showed it running at 100.  Were you able to do any tests to see what speed
it was really running?

My guess is that your hardware (switch) is a more reliable indicator than
your software (llistat -l).

I just did an llistat -l on a couple of machines that I am fairly confident
are running at 100mb  (and the switch verifies this).  One came back at 100,
one came back at 10, and one came back at 0!  (Now, I can't guarantee that
the one that came back at 10 is really running at 100, but I do know that
the 0 is wrong!)

Just some observations...

Fabio