Screen flicker with OSR5 and #9 graphics

Screen flicker with OSR5 and #9 graphics

Post by Dave Robert » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

The #9 card is a PCI card inside a DELL Pentium P11 and has the S3 chipset
on it.  When I installed the OS, I selected 'Number 9 GXE 64'.  I have a
DELL Ultra Scan 17 inch monitor, so selected 'Other 17 inch'.  The
resolution, and refresh rate seems to be irrelevant, and I'm getting this
horrible wobbling of the screen image.

Bizaarely enough this doesn't happen in windoze, although I can drive it
at 79Hz there, as opposed to a max of 75Hz under SCO.

Anyone know of any better drivers out there that I could obtain, that is
perhaps specific to the S3 chipset, and perhaps goes as high as 80Hz??

TIA - Dave

Dave Roberts        | "Surfing the Internet" is a sad term for sad people.
Unix Systems Admin  | Get a board, find a beach, surf some REAL waves and
SAA Consultants Ltd | get a *real* life.
Plymouth, U.K.      | -=[For PGP Key, send mail with subject of "get pgp"]=-

Screen flicker with OSR5 and #9 graphics

Post by David Ts » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I hope you can find a way to make this work.  I am very sensitive to
screen flicker (i.e. 60 Hz VGA will give me a headache in about 10
minutes!).  I didn't have to worry about screen flicker on non-GUI
Unix, but with OS5, I guess this is a problem.

I had similar problems with Windows 3.0 but most drivers for Win 3.1,
NT, Win95 support faster refresh rates that cards are capable with.
Hopefully, SCO will work on adding this capability to their video
drivers.

Quote:>The #9 card is a PCI card inside a DELL Pentium P11 and has the S3 chipset
>on it.  When I installed the OS, I selected 'Number 9 GXE 64'.  I have a
>DELL Ultra Scan 17 inch monitor, so selected 'Other 17 inch'.  The
>resolution, and refresh rate seems to be irrelevant, and I'm getting this
>horrible wobbling of the screen image.

>Bizaarely enough this doesn't happen in windoze, although I can drive it
>at 79Hz there, as opposed to a max of 75Hz under SCO.

1. Screen saver for SCO OSR5 (no graphics)

Is there a screen saver or something similar for SCO Open Server Rel. 5.0.4?
I don't use graphics. I would like to automatically turn blank the system
console when not in use. I have read something about screen savers for SCO
Openserver (maybe in Skunkware?) but I can't find it any more. A search in
this newsgroup gave me no results.
Can anybody give me any tips?

Thank you
Lorenzo

2. compiling Apache 1.1.1 on dec-alpha-osf4.0

3. Bad graphics on character screen after OSR5 upgrade

4. Information requested on Unix management tools

5. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

6. BYTE interested in Linux?

7. How to create shared libraries?

8. Diamond Graphics 2001 flickers in 1024x768 mode

9. ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 8MB, Princeton Graphics Ultra 75 - flickering

10. XServer flickers with 60 Hz , graphic card S3 Visison864

11. flickering edge of screen...