SMTP problem on SCO Open Server (SVr3.2)

SMTP problem on SCO Open Server (SVr3.2)

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

   Note that I've changed the list of newsgroups somewhat; this
isn't a TCP/IP protocol question, and according to the message
it's not sendmail, either (it's MMDF), so I've toasted those
two.  comp.unix.sco.misc is the best newsgroup for SCO Unix questions
so I've added it.

$Being new to SMTP, I am stumped looking for what I'm sure is a simple
$answer. Although I _think_ that all of the configuration files are
$correct, and the SMTP daemon (deliver) is running,

   Actually, no.  deliver is on the back end of MMDF, not the front;
its job is to search the queues periodically and see if there any
mail messages which have been submitted and are awaiting delivery.

   Check /etc/inetd.conf and make sure that you have a line for
the SMTP port, 25.  It should activate the MMDF SMTP server,
smtpsrv.  The message you get sounds very much like there's simply
nothing listening on port 25.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. SMTP problem on SCO Open Server (SVr3.2)

Hello all

Being new to SMTP, I am stumped looking for what I'm sure is a simple
answer. Although I _think_ that all of the configuration files are
correct, and the SMTP daemon (deliver) is running, I can not get
a connect on TCP port 25. Connects on other ports (e.g. POP on 110)
work fine:
-------------------------
$ telnet blue 25
Trying 198.183.168.99...
$ telnet blue 110
Trying 198.183.168.99...
Connected to blue.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK PC-Interface POP server (version 5.0.0) at blue.brms.com ready.
quit
+OK Pop server at blue.brms.com signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.
--------------------------
What am I missing?
e-mail please. I will summarize on request.
Thanks

--

Gill & Piette                                          uunet!gandp!dick
1568 Spring Hill Road, McLean, VA 22102                 (703)761-1163

2. How to print from Linux w/HP Deskjets

3. Problem: SCO UNIX SVR3.2 Pentium PCI/ISA

4. Soundblaster 32 AWE

5. SMTP work on SVR3

6. Hercules Stingray 128/3D

7. Portmap problem on SCO Open Server 3.0

8. Problem with Bind 8.1.2 and dial-up PPP connection

9. *** CALL for Help - Urgent *** "Problem with SCO Open Server and Ingres 6.4"

10. Configure dynamic PPP server under SCO Open Server 5.0

11. SCO Open Server Screen Problem

12. Problem with character sets using SCO Open Server 3 and 5

13. Problems with uucico under SCO Open Server V5