Serial Port Question

Post by Steve Ma » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We haven't had an experienced sysadmin for a few months, and I am
limping along without media or manuals (a former employee took every
OS package with him that he could get his hands on).

What's involved in adding another serial port card to an SCO
OpenServer 5.02 system?  I have a need for an additional terminal at
the server location, but I don't want to invest in another terminal
server for just one port.

Alternately, can I remove the mouse and use COM1: for a local
terminal?

TIA

Serial Port Question

Post by David Clayt » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We haven't had an experienced sysadmin for a few months, and I am
>limping along without media or manuals (a former employee took every
>OS package with him that he could get his hands on).

>What's involved in adding another serial port card to an SCO
>OpenServer 5.02 system?  I have a need for an additional terminal at
>the server location, but I don't want to invest in another terminal
>server for just one port.

>Alternately, can I remove the mouse and use COM1: for a local
>terminal?

You can add a "standard" COM2 board to your P.C., and then use "mkdev
serial" to make it available to your system, but don't try to use COM3/4
Dos hardware as you will dissapointed.

You can also use the COM1 port if you wish, and you don't use the mouse
for X-sessions, (use "mkdev mouse" to free up the port).

Apart from these the other options are multi port serial I/O products
such as those made by Digi or Stallion.

There are also many SCO Console terminal emulation products available
that work over a TCP/IP LAN as well as serial links, is this an option
for you?

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it is."

Serial Port Question

Post by Steve Faba » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We haven't had an experienced sysadmin for a few months, and I am
> limping along without media or manuals (a former employee took every
> OS package with him that he could get his hands on).

> What's involved in adding another serial port card to an SCO
> OpenServer 5.02 system?  I have a need for an additional terminal at
> the server location, but I don't want to invest in another terminal
> server for just one port.

> Alternately, can I remove the mouse and use COM1: for a local
> terminal?

> TIA

Making recommendations without knowing your system configuration is
iffy at best.  Please execute hwconfig -h and uname -X and post the
results here.

Yes you can use tty1a for a teriminal but you will lose the use of
the graphical console (if you don't have a PS2 mouse).  Type scologin
disable then enable tty1a for login. Be sure to match the /etc/inittab
speed setting to the terminal m = 9600, n = 19200, o = 38400.

Your system may have a second serial port on the serial adapter but
may not have been configured into your kernel.  When the system boots,
see if the initial hardware screen (displayed by some BIOS) lists
two serial ports. Then watch the UNIX hardware configuration screen
to see if two standard serial ports are listed. If only one then you
must execute mkdev serial to add the second serial adapter to the
kernel.

                                     Steve Fabac
                                      S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                       816/765-1670

Serial Port Question

Post by Roberto Zi » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi !

Quote:

>We haven't had an experienced sysadmin for a few months, and I am
>limping along without media or manuals (a former employee took every
>OS package with him that he could get his hands on).

>What's involved in adding another serial port card to an SCO
>OpenServer 5.02 system?

mkdev serial

Also, remember to check your BIOS machine to see if your serial
post is enable there too.

Quote:>I have a need for an additional terminal at
>the server location, but I don't want to invest in another terminal
>server for just one port.

I think this is a reasonable issue

Quote:

>Alternately, can I remove the mouse and use COM1: for a local
>terminal?

Yes:
        mkdev mouse (and select to remove the mouse)
        enable /dev/tty1a (and check /etc/inittab to see is settings
                           are correct)

Quote:

>TIA

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto

Strhold Sistemi EDP
Reggio Emilia      ITALY
Please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address if you want to reply
"Has anybody seen an aircraft carrier around ?"
        (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

1. nwebie serial port question

hi,
got a piece of code that its output talks to serial PORT A but not to
serial port B. why not?. how to make it?.
jim

--
Sent by   from yahoo included in com

2. Init error while booting

3. Palm pilot and serial port question

4. snd-driv 1.99.8 hassles..

5. Serial port question - I really need help.

6. (none)

7. ip_masq and serial port questions

8. xfree on Debian Linux 2.1 r4

9. Serial port question.

10. Serial Port Question (Log File)

11. serial port question.

12. serial port question

13. Please help with serial port question