How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by Vadim Kostoglodof » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00



Hi!


> I want to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD. But system can not find my
> MITSUMI CDROM wherever it is in primary slave or secondary master.

> The master and slave jumps in HD and CDROM are correct.

Hmm... Looks like your CD-ROM drive isn't full ATAPI compatible :(
I installed UW7 from the Creative CD-ROM drive (primary IDE, slave)
without any problems.
--
SY, Vadim
 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by Lucky Leavel » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00



Quote:> Hi,

> I want to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD. But system can not find my
> MITSUMI CDROM wherever it is in primary slave or secondary master.

If installed as secondary master, you will have to make some changes via
the DCU. There is a Mitsumi driver listed in the DCU; check the settings
out there. Or, as has already been suggested, the CD-ROM is not ATAPI
compliant and therefore cannot be used.

BTW, UnixWare postings belong in comp.unix.unixware.misc. See you there.

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO       OR: (812) 989-0174
1560 Zoar Church Road NE             FAX: (812) 366-3618

WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com  

 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by James MacDonal » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00




Quote:>I installed UW7 from the Creative CD-ROM drive (primary IDE, slave)
>without any problems.

Which make, which model? :)

I've got a Matsushita CR-581 drive labelled 'CREATIVE' on the front, and
OSR doesn't like it as sec. master. It's ATAPI compliant, because I can
install Linux using it, with normal ATAPI drivers.
Is that what your drive is? Is it made by Matsushita, even?

--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.

 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by James MacDonal » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00



scribbled :

Quote:>Hi,

>I want to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD. But system can not find my
>MITSUMI CDROM wherever it is in primary slave or secondary master.

>The master and slave jumps in HD and CDROM are correct.

>Please help me,
>Joss

OK. Are you >sure< that it's an IDE drive, and that it's plugged into
the motherboard?

If it is plugged into a sound card, it might be on the tertiary
interface, which UW7 won't like, because that would make the IRQ used
12. Get hold of a Linux boot disk (from <ftp.redhat.com> or another
distributor) and boot your system using it. If Linux can see your drive
for what it is (an ATAPI unit), it's properly configured, but that
doesn't necessarily mean that UW7 will like it; I've installed Linux
successfully with my CR-581, but OSR hates it.

When I asked Bela about new CD-ROM drives (I was thinking about
replacing my CR-581 which DOESN'T work with OSR 5.0.4), he said that
Mitsumi models had caused a lot of pain for other users, and that if he
were asked for a drive he wouldn't recommend, his answer would be
"Mitsumi drives".

BTW: can you read the >CD< in your current OS?
It could be faulty (it does happen!)

Suggestions, then:

[ ]  Test with Linux
[ ]  Borrow another CD-ROM drive
[ ]  Ask Mitsumi tech. support about any known SCO driver issues
[ ]  Check that the drive is really and truly ATAPI-compliant and on
     an interface that UW7 can 'see'

[ ]  Scan the CD-ROM for defects with TESTCD.EXE or similar
--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.

 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by Vadim Kostoglodof » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00



> >I installed UW7 from the Creative CD-ROM drive (primary IDE, slave)
> >without any problems.
> Which make, which model? :)

CD-ROM is Creative CD2423E NC101
UnixWare KernelID 98/03/05
Quote:> I've got a Matsushita CR-581 drive labelled 'CREATIVE' on the front, and
> OSR doesn't like it as sec. master. It's ATAPI compliant, because I can
> install Linux using it, with normal ATAPI drivers.

Well, please don't compare commercial unixes with free ones. Because commercial unixes have limited
development teams, so their possibilities are reduced...
Quote:> Is that what your drive is? Is it made by Matsushita, even?

Nope, I have native Creative CD-ROM
--
SY, Vadim
 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by James MacDonal » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00




Quote:>Well, please don't compare commercial unixes with free ones. Because commercial
>unixes have limited
>development teams, so their possibilities are reduced...

I'm not. Because my Creative CD-ROM drive works with Linux under its
ATAPI driver in its current setting, it must be ATAPI compliant. I would
expect SCO operating systems therefore to recognise my device as an
ATAPI compliant CD-ROM drive; if others work, why doesn't mine?

(Perhaps it could be the fact that it is sec. master with no pri. slave
- has anyone else installed OSR 5.0.4 this way?)

BTW: my copy of OSR 5.0.4 is free, but I do see your point; it is
derived from a commercial product.

Quote:>> Is that what your drive is? Is it made by Matsushita, even?
>Nope, I have native Creative CD-ROM

What, so Creative are making their own CD-ROM drives now instead of just
labelling them? Interesting.. what does your BIOS (if ATAPI compliant;
mine is, but can't boot CD-ROM) say about its ID?

My 'Creative' drive claims that it is a 'MATSHITA CR-581' to the BIOS
and OSR v5.0.4. What about yours?
--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.

 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by Vadim Kostoglodof » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00


Hi!


> BTW: my copy of OSR 5.0.4 is free, but I do see your point; it is
> derived from a commercial product.

Heh, do you have source code of your unix? :)
Quote:> >> Is that what your drive is? Is it made by Matsushita, even?
> >Nope, I have native Creative CD-ROM

> What, so Creative are making their own CD-ROM drives now instead of just
> labelling them? Interesting.. what does your BIOS (if ATAPI compliant;
> mine is, but can't boot CD-ROM) say about its ID?

> My 'Creative' drive claims that it is a 'MATSHITA CR-581' to the BIOS
> and OSR v5.0.4. What about yours?

Well :) I wrote ID of my CD-ROM at start of previous message :)
My BIOS and UW7 tell that my CD-ROM is: Creative CD2423E
--
SY, Vadim
P.S. Did you try install UW7 with uw700rs supplement?
 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by Daniel T » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00


I tried installing OSR 5.0.4 from a Creative CD2423E NC101 24X.
Altough it works fine in Linux and DOS, during OSR 5.0.4 I keep receiving
the messages:

NOTICE: Srom : MODESENSE writing SCSI CD-ROM 0 dev 51/0 ( ha=0 id=1 lun=0 )
block=0
  Drive not ready : Being loaded
  Status : host=01 target=01, Key= 02 04 01 , block=0
NOTICE: Srom : MODESENSE writing SCSI CD-ROM 0 dev 51/0 ( ha=0 id=1 lun=0 )
block=0
  Drive not ready : Being loaded
  Status : host=01 target=01, Key= 02 04 01 , block=0
NOTICE: Srom : MODESENSE writing SCSI CD-ROM 0 dev 51/0 ( ha=0 id=1 lun=0 )
block=0
  Drive not ready : Being loaded
  Status : host=01 target=01, Key= 02 04 01 , block = 64
System Error 22:
  while getting fs type

I tried the primary-slave, secondary-master and secondary-slave with same
results.
The same things happen with the older SCO Unix 386 + the new wd driver from
SCO.

I am about to order the free Unixware because I noticed that Vadim
Kostoglodoff
said that he made it  using the same CDROM model.

Please provide me your experince related to installing  OSR or UW7 and
Creative CDROM.

Thank you,

 Daniel T.


>Hi!

>> BTW: my copy of OSR 5.0.4 is free, but I do see your point; it is
>> derived from a commercial product.
>Heh, do you have source code of your unix? :)
>> >> Is that what your drive is? Is it made by Matsushita, even?
>> >Nope, I have native Creative CD-ROM

>> What, so Creative are making their own CD-ROM drives now instead of just
>> labelling them? Interesting.. what does your BIOS (if ATAPI compliant;
>> mine is, but can't boot CD-ROM) say about its ID?

>> My 'Creative' drive claims that it is a 'MATSHITA CR-581' to the BIOS
>> and OSR v5.0.4. What about yours?
>Well :) I wrote ID of my CD-ROM at start of previous message :)
>My BIOS and UW7 tell that my CD-ROM is: Creative CD2423E
>--
>SY, Vadim
>P.S. Did you try install UW7 with uw700rs supplement?

 
 
 

How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

Post by Vadim Kostoglodof » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00


Hi!


> Please provide me your experince related to installing  OSR or UW7 and
> Creative CDROM.

I've replied You by email. If anyone interested about it I can post my story
here...
--
SY, Vadim
 
 
 

1. E-IDE HD and E-IDE CD-ROM on Toshiba

Hello,

we have to setup OSE 5 on a Toshiba Notebook CDT 410. I had asked in
this group if it is possible and someone answered that there will be
no problem.

But now there is a problem:
The System has a 1.2 MB HD and the build in Toshiba CD-ROM. I am using the
Release Supplement Disk with ATAPI which was included to our distribution.
Then I follow the steps described in the Release Notes to install from
an IDE CD-ROM.

I am using this bootstring:
defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI

It works fine until I have to choose the installation media. In the Notes
step 6 describes that I have to choose "SCSI CD-ROM".

When I do so the only answer is that I do not have a SCSI adapter!

What can I do??? It is very urgent.

Thanks!

Knut

2. more NFS woes

3. IDE CD-Rom + IDE HD, same controller?

4. Using Freetype in Gnome 1

5. Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

6. Is this GA 686BX motherboard probelm?

7. Problems with 2nd IDE i/f and IDE CD-ROM on Compaq Presario CDS 972

8. Netsite config: making home page a CGI

9. IDE CD Writer and IDE CD-ROM

10. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

11. replacing IDE CD-ROM with IDE CD-RW - kernel panic!

12. 2nd IDE / IDE CD-ROM / maplay wanted. Help!

13. NEC IDE CD-ROM + new IDE/CDROM driver