What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by WhoCar » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00



I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
programs on it or not?

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00


WhoCares (WhoCares) propounded certain bytes, to wit:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <== Please fix your posting software; this is not a
                        usable return address!

| I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
| want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
| Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
| programs on it or not?

It's the identical 5.0.2 release that is currently shipping, except that
you are limited to educational or non-commercial use, and may only have a
couple of simultaneous logins running.

--


 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Chad Jos » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00



(WhoCares)Fri, 11 Oct 1996 00:44:42 GMT writes:
:>
:>I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
:>want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
:>Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
:>programs on it or not?
:>
:>

I ordered mine a few weeks ago, still waiting :-(  I don't know a whole lot
about it, but I do know that the Free version is a single user version.  Now
this confused me for a while, but what I've found out that it means is that
you can only have one person logged in on your keyboard (this can be 20
different IDs in 20 Xterms and 20 consoles) and one person from outside (which
I take as telnet or rlogin, etc but I'm not sure about that).  As far as I
know, this is right.  As far as running SCO programs, I 'think' you can run
any SCO commercial app on Free SCO BUT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT!   If anybody
can correct me, PLEASE do, cause I wouldn't mind knowing if I'm correct :-)
Well, I hope I'm not telling you lies, and that this helps you :-)  Later.

        Chad

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
More useless drivil taking up valuable bandwidth....
         blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.......

Chad Josey

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Dave Dickers » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Previously, WhoCares said...

Quote:

>I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
>want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
>Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
>programs on it or not?

  There are no significant differences other than the licensing and the
  ramifications thereof (it's a single-user license and not upgradeable
  to more users or to a commercial-use system).

  No, it is not limited in its funtionality as a Desktop system. That is,
  freeSCO is not a server nor can it be upgraded to one.

  Yes, you can run regular SCO programs on it subject to the above.

  I suggest you read about it on SCO's web page (www.sco.com). Most
  if not all your questions are answered there.

  Enjoy.

DD in AZ

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by John R. Harri » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00



Quote:> Previously, WhoCares said...

> >I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
> >want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
> >Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
> >programs on it or not?

>   There are no significant differences other than the licensing and the
>   ramifications thereof (it's a single-user license and not upgradeable
>   to more users or to a commercial-use system).

Well, no.  It's actually a two-user license, as has been pointed out a
number of times here.

Quote:

>   No, it is not limited in its funtionality as a Desktop system. That is,
>   freeSCO is not a server nor can it be upgraded to one.

I suppose that depends upon what you consider the definition of a server
to be.  It can certainly be a web server.  It can be an NFS server.  It
can be an smb server.  In fact, it can 'serve' any functions that do not
invoke 'login' more than twice.

Quote:

>   Yes, you can run regular SCO programs on it subject to the above.

/__/__/\/__/_____/_____/_____/__/_____/\ * Principal Analyst, ARINC
\  \  \ \  \  __ \  __ \  __ \  \  ___\/_ * 410.266.2936 or 800.533.8982
 \  \  \_\  \ \_\ \ \_\ \ \_\ \  \ \____/\ *
 _\  \   __  \  __ \    /_    /_  \____ \ \ * SYSTEM ERROR: Clue Buffer Empty
/__\  \  \ \  \ \ \ \  __ \  __ \  \/__\ \ \ *

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Brian A. Lewi » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00



> I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
> want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
> Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
> programs on it or not?

The cd is the same as the commercial cd, the only difference is the
licenst that limits it. All the commercial programs will run on it the
same as the FULL SCO VER.
--

*************************************

* HTTP://WWW.SOVRAN.COM            
* Trainer ( SCO )PSIA              
* 612-686-0515                      
* 2535 Pilot Knob Road Suite 101  
* Mendota Heights, MN 55120        
*************************************

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Dave Dickers » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Ya got me on the server part but I've been told by SCO that a single-user
license is changing from two users to one. When this goes into effect and
its implications are unknown to me.

DD in AZ

Previously, John R. Harris said...


>> Previously, WhoCares said...

>> >I Just got a free copy of Free SCO OpenServer 5 from UNIX expo and
>> >want to know if there are significant differences between FreeSCO and
>> >Retail one. Is it limited in some way or what? Can you run regular sco
>> >programs on it or not?

>>   There are no significant differences other than the licensing and the
>>   ramifications thereof (it's a single-user license and not upgradeable
>>   to more users or to a commercial-use system).

>Well, no.  It's actually a two-user license, as has been pointed out a
>number of times here.

>>   No, it is not limited in its funtionality as a Desktop system. That
is,
>>   freeSCO is not a server nor can it be upgraded to one.

>I suppose that depends upon what you consider the definition of a server
>to be.  It can certainly be a web server.  It can be an NFS server.  It
>can be an smb server.  In fact, it can 'serve' any functions that do not
>invoke 'login' more than twice.

>>   Yes, you can run regular SCO programs on it subject to the above.

>/__/__/\/__/_____/_____/_____/__/_____/\ * Principal Analyst, ARINC
>\  \  \ \  \  __ \  __ \  __ \  \  ___\/_ * 410.266.2936 or 800.533.8982
> \  \  \_\  \ \_\ \ \_\ \ \_\ \  \ \____/\ *
> _\  \   __  \  __ \    /_    /_  \____ \ \ * SYSTEM ERROR: Clue Buffer
Empty
>/__\  \  \ \  \ \ \ \  __ \  __ \  \/__\ \ \ *


 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Bela Lubki » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00



> Ya got me on the server part but I've been told by SCO that a single-user
> license is changing from two users to one. When this goes into effect and
> its implications are unknown to me.

What exactly were you told?  I very much doubt we will change the
implementation of the license to prevent more than a single login.
There is some question about the underlying *intent* of the license; the
workstation/desktop products are really intended for a single user, with
the second login provided for various sorts of maintenance and emergency
purposes.
Quote:>Bela<

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Dave Dickers » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Previously, Bela Lubkin said...

Quote:

>What exactly were you told?  I very much doubt we will change the
>implementation of the license to prevent more than a single login.
>There is some question about the underlying *intent* of the license; the
>workstation/desktop products are really intended for a single user, with
>the second login provided for various sorts of maintenance and emergency
>purposes.

>>Bela<

The relevant part of the conversation over the phone:

  Me:  "...and I have the single-user license for 5.0.2 Desktop, which
       is really a two-user license."

  SCO: "That's changing.  The single-user license is going to be a
       license for one-user."

This was a tangent from the main subject of the phone call and I didn't
pursue it.  Wish I had.

--
DD in AZ

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by James R. DiGiacom » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Since there has been many posts on the FreeSCO Openserver CD.
I wont ask the same silly questions or tell you of my installation
woes.

Though I want to point out that that I did receive my CD at the UNIX
expo. I was happy to get a chance to see how this version of unix
function and judge for myself whether its good or bad. I read a lot of
posts in other un*x related newsgroups giving SCO a bad reputation.

Anyways I read the little CD liner and it states that the OpenServer
Development system is included(along with a bunch of demo applications)
on it. I cant seem to find it anywhere on the CD. As soon as the
installation successfuly completed I naturally want to compile some
of my C programs I developed on my Unix servers from work.
Low and behold when I tried to use cc? Its not there!

Is the c compiler named something different in this version of SCO.
Or has SCO decided to leave the C compiler out of this version of
SCO OpenServer.

Any replies would be appreciated,

James

SCO newbie

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00


James R. DiGiacomo propounded certain bytes, to wit:
|
| Anyways I read the little CD liner and it states that the OpenServer
| Development system is included(along with a bunch of demo applications)
| on it. I cant seem to find it anywhere on the CD. As soon as the
| installation successfuly completed I naturally want to compile some
| of my C programs I developed on my Unix servers from work.
| Low and behold when I tried to use cc? Its not there!
|
| Is the c compiler named something different in this version of SCO.
| Or has SCO decided to leave the C compiler out of this version of
| SCO OpenServer.

When you got your licenses you should have had one for the DevSys
as well.  It's on the CD-ROM, now you have to install it.

Slow, normal way:
  Click on Software Manager, ask to install new stuff from the CD-ROM.

A bit faster:
  mount -r /dev/cd0 /mnt
  Click on Software Manager, ask to install new stuff from media images,
   which you specify as /mnt/opt/archives.

In either case, select the full Development System.

If you want to do this from a shell prompt in character mode
instead of clicking on the S/M icon on the desktop, run 'custom'.

--

 
 
 

What is the difference between FreeSCO and Retail Version except $ and manuals

Post by Dave Dickers » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00


Previously, James R. Sullivan said...


>> Previously, Bela Lubkin said...
>> >What exactly were you told?  I very much doubt we will change the
>> >implementation of the license to prevent more than a single login.
>> >There is some question about the underlying *intent* of the license;
the
>> >workstation/desktop products are really intended for a single user,
with
>> >the second login provided for various sorts of maintenance and
emergency
>> >purposes.

>> The relevant part of the conversation over the phone:

>>   Me:  "...and I have the single-user license for 5.0.2 Desktop, which
>>        is really a two-user license."

>>   SCO: "That's changing.  The single-user license is going to be a
>>        license for one-user."

>Of course, we have no idea who the "SCO" person could have been.

>OpenServer Release 5 Desktop systems are intended as single user systems,
as
>indicted in their license agreement.  Bela's previous comment is, in my
opinion,
>the correct statement.  I'd love to know who you were talking to when you
had
>the reported conversation.  Sometimes it's better to not restrict the
technology
>needlessly, since it only causes grief.  Not that this issue isn't
causing grief :-)

>----
>Jim Sullivan            "Don't plant your bad days.  They grow into bad
>SMB Segment Marketing    weeks and then bad months and before you know it

>416 216 4611

Ask Bela.  He has the name and I'll leave the decision up to him about
releasing it.

--
DD in AZ