Allowing root a rsh

Post by Daniel Haagma » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

I wish to allow access to my SCO box on our internal network from
another machine to do some backing up. However, only root should be
allowed in and no other user, whilst no prompting for password should
occur (so that my backup script can access the various directories -
read only - to back them up). However, I wish to confine this to only
one machine too for obvious security reasons so that it can use CPIO for
copying (I assume that same privaleges apply to rsh).

The file hosts.equiv seems to allow all but root in as trusted users and
prompts for password.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel
--
Without Prejudice

Daniel Haagman
Project Manager
Commercial Colour Press Plc.

http://www.ccpress.co.uk

1. Allowing root to rsh

I put all the ttyps in /etc/securetty and root can now rsh in.
However, the first time it asks for the password, the login
fails.  Then it asks for the username and password again, like
this:

Password:
login: root
Password:
Last login: Thu Feb 12 01:51:08 from cervesa.home-net
You have new mail.

This is on Red Hat, 4.2 and 5.0. Does anyone know how to fix this?

--
Larry D. Pyeatt                     All standard disclaimers apply.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~pyeatt

2. Accessing ATA Subdisks after kernel compile

3. allowing root of another machine to rsh in ?

4. SCO Merge / Win32s

5. Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??

6. Disabling CPUs -- at runtime?

7. allowing root to rsh in

8. RH 7.2 kernel recompile problems

9. How do you allow root to rsh/rcp/rlogin/etc?

10. allowing root to rsh

11. Allowing root rsh

12. rsh as root - no password - /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts doesn't work?

13. rsh root but no root remote login...