Multiple OS Partitions

Post by Doug Amdu » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

Thanks,
Doug Amdur

Post by Ron Badou » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
> and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
> systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
> and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
> was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
> now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

> Thanks,
> Doug Amdur

Most, but not all, systems have to be loaded to a primary partition.
Partition Magic will create three primary and one extended partition.
Invest the $50/60 in PM--great product.  For more partition info, go
here:  http://www.webdev.net/orca/
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP-DTS
Web Site:  http://lonestar.texas.net/~rwbadour/index.html/
Knowledge Base Info:  http://support.microsoft.com/support/a.asp?M=S

Multiple OS Partitions

Post by Torgny Jonsso » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I would like to run multiple operating systems Any thoughts on the best
approach to take?

>Thanks,
>Doug Amdur

Try System Commander. Excellent, simple and effective multiboot-program.

Torgny Jonsson
?stersund
Sweden

Multiple OS Partitions

Post by Tom Pfeife » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Doug,

How much additional software you need would depend a lot on the built-in
requirements and capabilities of the OS mix that you're using. Some can
boot from a logical partition and/or from the 2nd drive - some can't.
Some also come with their own boot managers, so you may not need an
extra one.

I run a 3 different OS's (Win95, WinNT, Linux) and have found that the
combination of Partition Magic and Power Boot can answer any requirement
I've had. But I could also run all of them using either NT's or Linux's
boot loaders. It's just more convenient and flexible with Power Boot.

http://www.blueskyinnovations.com/pboot.html

http://www.powerquest.com/

Tom

> I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
> and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
> systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
> and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
> was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
> now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

> Thanks,
> Doug Amdur

Multiple OS Partitions

Post by God Radhakrishna » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
>and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
>systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
>and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
>was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
>now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

>Thanks,
>Doug Amdur

I use the following OSs:

WIN NT 4.0
WIN 98
WIN 95 OSR2
SCO OS 5.0.4
DOS 6.22

To multiboot different OSs System Commander (by V-communications) is VERY
useful. Also, since the above deals with a lot of disk partitions (FAT,
FAT32, NTFS, Unix), I also use PartitionMagic by PowerQuest (which allows
you to repartition your primary dirve and lots more without loosing data).
These two
utilities are worth every penny.

Regards,

GR

Multiple OS Partitions

Post by Robert Stro » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

I very much prefer to keep all operating systems totally separate from each
other. This means that they do not even know each other exist. this is done
by using software that has the ability to hide and unhide partitions. You
can use Partition Magic to do this (it is almost totally necessary to use
this to do the original setup of the OS's). By keeping the Op systems
hidden from each other I feel that there is no way that one can mess up the
other / stomp on any system files, etc.

Once this is done I HIGHLY recommend that you check out this shareware
multiboot utility

Need a boot manager?  Take a look at mine (DocsBoot+) --
          http://www.docsware.com/docsboot

I use this program at home and at work and find it to be the best, fastest
and least expensive solution. The key to this program is that it can hide
and unhide the partitions on the fly as you booting up your system.

If you are constructing a multi boot system I recommend that you place your
FAT partitions first. E.G. I have a DOS partition as the first primary
partition and then a FAT 16 WinNT boot partition, and then a FAT 32 WIN 95
partition. After some trial and error I have found this to work best.

Hope that this helps,

Robert Strom
Microsoft Certified Professional
Edge Technologies
314 E. 26th Street
Tacoma, WA. 98421
(253)383-9181 Voice
(253)272-0429 Fax
www.profit-plus.com

>I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
>and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
>systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
>and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
>was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
>now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

>Thanks,
>Doug Amdur

Multiple OS Partitions

Post by Robert Stro » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

I very much prefer to keep all operating systems totally separate from each
other. This means that they do not even know each other exist. this is done
by using software that has the ability to hide and unhide partitions. You
can use Partition Magic to do this (it is almost totally necessary to use
this to do the original setup of the OS's). By keeping the Op systems
hidden from each other I feel that there is no way that one can mess up the
other / stomp on any system files, etc.

Once this is done I HIGHLY recommend that you check out this shareware
multiboot utility

Need a boot manager?  Take a look at mine (DocsBoot+) --
          http://www.docsware.com/docsboot

I use this program at home and at work and find it to be the best, fastest
and least expensive solution. The key to this program is that it can hide
and unhide the partitions on the fly as you booting up your system.

If you are constructing a multi boot system I recommend that you place your
FAT partitions first. E.G. I have a DOS partition as the first primary
partition and then a FAT 16 WinNT boot partition, and then a FAT 32 WIN 95
partition. After some trial and error I have found this to work best.

Hope that this helps,

Robert Strom
Microsoft Certified Professional
Edge Technologies
314 E. 26th Street
Tacoma, WA. 98421
(253)383-9181 Voice
(253)272-0429 Fax
www.profit-plus.com

>I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
>and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
>systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
>and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
>was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
>now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

>Thanks,
>Doug Amdur

Multiple OS Partitions

Post by Fred Vander Werf » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

To follow up on Robert's recommendations, there is a document on our website
(www.powerquest.com/support/multios.html) that covers setting up a multi-OS
system in quite some detail.  You might find this to be helpful information as
well.

Fred Vander Werff
PowerQuest Corporation

> I very much prefer to keep all operating systems totally separate from each
> other. This means that they do not even know each other exist. this is done
> by using software that has the ability to hide and unhide partitions. You
> can use Partition Magic to do this (it is almost totally necessary to use
> this to do the original setup of the OS's). By keeping the Op systems
> hidden from each other I feel that there is no way that one can mess up the
> other / stomp on any system files, etc.

> Once this is done I HIGHLY recommend that you check out this shareware
> multiboot utility

> Need a boot manager?  Take a look at mine (DocsBoot+) --
>           http://www.docsware.com/docsboot

> I use this program at home and at work and find it to be the best, fastest
> and least expensive solution. The key to this program is that it can hide
> and unhide the partitions on the fly as you booting up your system.

> If you are constructing a multi boot system I recommend that you place your
> FAT partitions first. E.G. I have a DOS partition as the first primary
> partition and then a FAT 16 WinNT boot partition, and then a FAT 32 WIN 95
> partition. After some trial and error I have found this to work best.

> Hope that this helps,

> Robert Strom
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Edge Technologies
> 314 E. 26th Street
> Tacoma, WA. 98421
> (253)383-9181 Voice
> (253)272-0429 Fax
> www.profit-plus.com

> >I would like to run multiple operating systems (Open Server, UnixWare
> >and Windows 95) on my system.  Ideally, I would like to run the Unix
> >systems on one drive and Windows 95 on another.  I currently run Win95
> >and Open Server on one drive with no extra partition/boot software, but
> >was wondering if I needed additional software to do the extra stuff I am
> >now considering.  Any thoughts on the best approach to take?

> >Thanks,
> >Doug Amdur

1. More Multiple os partition questions

I have linux (redhat with kernel 2.0.23) on one partition, win31/95 dual
boot on another partition (so far, so good) can I now install os/2 4 on
yet another partition, boot from a floppy and re-install lilo from linux
and add the os/2 partition to lilo.conf, thereby removing the os/2 boot
loader from the mbr? Will everything then work or will I screw the lot up?

Kennric

2. Permission question

3. multiple OS's on multiple partitions

4. Strange network problem (TCP/UDP only)

5. Multiple Operating Systems w/ Boot Manager (OS/2 2.1) [partition NIGHTMARE]

6. login script error

7. HD partitioning for multiple OS's

8. How many users?

9. boot manager for multiple OS (XP and FreeBSD) on multiple drives

10. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

11. LIMIT of partitions per disk (fdisk, kernel, partition, NT, OS/2, Windows, 95)

12. alt.os.linux, comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.misc

13. comp.os.linux.misccomp.os.linux.misccomp.os.linux.misc