Advice needed on moving email server from NT to SCO

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

>Due to some performance and reliability issues with our current NT e-mail
>server, I have been given the task of replacing the current NT system with
>a SCO UNIX based system.

Great.  One NT server down, a few hundred thousand to go.

Quote:> - I plan to use LDAP slapd for internal e-mail directory service or I may
>just have a the e-mail directory in a file that is read-only exported.

LDAP doesn't make much sense with only one email server.  The
idea is to allow users to move around the world and have their
email environment follow.  The mail will always come from the
same place.  Since the SCO Unix box will probably not have any
shell logins and only store passwords for picking up POP3 mail,
there's no environment to propogate.  Since passwords are
imbedded in the POP3 mailer, there's no benifit to a single login
scheme.  I don't think you'll need LDAP.  Keep it simple.

Also, the email directory cannot be read-only as users are
expected to clean out the messages they have read.  The files in
the mail spool directory are readable and writeable only by the
user (and the MTA).

Quote:> - I plan to use popper which comes with v5.0.4

One small problem.  The default Windoze 95 POP3 polling script
does not work.  You need to use the Windoze 95 scripting tool to
create suitable login script.  See:
        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/w95ppp.txt
I vaguely recall having some problems with the " " marks in
different versions of Windoze 95.  2am is not the time for
testing.

Quote:> - *the bad news is that the DNS server is still a WinNT server.*

Setup the DNS on the SCO Unix box as a secondary domain
controller for the NT server and have the NT box propogate DNS
updates.  When that NT server finally blows up, you'll still have
a working DNS system.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home

Post by David Gur » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

> Due to some performance and reliability issues with our current NT e-mail
> server, I have been given the task of replacing the current NT system with
> a SCO UNIX based system.

Note that in addition to using it as a mail server, you'll also have the
option of using the SCO system as a File & Print server to your Windows
desktops. SCO VisionFS now comes as standard for this very purpose.

Quote:> What I would like is ANY and ALL advice about using SCO UNIX as an e-mail
> server, as well as any problems and issues might exist with this
> configuration.
> (Admittedly, I still have a lot to learn about the subject of e-mail)

> I'm in the estimation stage, so some of the following info is only general:
>  - plan to use SCO OS v5.0.4
>  - between 8 and 11 DNS domains but only 8 or 9 mail domains
>  - a total of 140 or so users (in all of those mail domains)
>  - only one e-mail server
>  - some users are remote but they will not access the system directly
>  - I plan to use LDAP slapd for internal e-mail directory service or I may
> just have a the e-mail directory in a file that is read-only exported.
>  - this will be a normal POP3 & SMTP system (like the one it replaces; NT &
> SLmail)
>  - I plan to use popper which comes with v5.0.4
>  - I have not chosen a MTA but it will probably be sendmail, but I would
> appreciate advice on that too. (I presume using v8.8 of sendmail is the best)
>  - *the bad news is that the DNS server is still a WinNT server.*

You may also want to consider using the Netscape Mail Server with SCO
OpenServer Release 5. Benefits over the standard SCO email services are
in IMAP support, and in scalability of performance and administration.
If you choose Netscape Communicator as your User Agent, it integrates
particularly well.

More details at:

        http://www.sco.com/products/internet/products/sco_mail.htm

Quote:> Related to this I have a question about whether to use SCO OS 5.0.4(+ patches)
>  or Unixware 7? Is UW 7 that much better than OS 5.0.4 as far as networking is
>  concerned? (Currently, I'm leaning toward OS 5.0.4 since it's been out longer
>  and those who will take over the daily admin know OS 5.0.4 and not UW 7).

Given the existing skill set, you're probably better off with
OpenServer.

David Gurr                                 WWW: http://www.emeia.sco.com
Products Marketing Manager
SCO Europe, Middle East, India & Africa

Post by Tony Earnsha » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

> You may also want to consider using the Netscape Mail Server with SCO
> OpenServer Release 5. Benefits over the standard SCO email services are
> in IMAP support, and in scalability of performance and administration.
> If you choose Netscape Communicator as your User Agent, it integrates
> particularly well.

IMHO (and having used it for around 4 months) this is probably the worst
MTA on the market, beating Windows' worst hands down. I don't want to go
into a lot of details here, but the gentleman would be very advised to
try it at arms' length, preferably using a barge pole.

IMAP support for the standard SCO-supplied MTAs (also works with Exim,
Smail and Qmail) can be got from the latest WU (Washington University)
IMAP toolkit that also includes a newer popper (pop2 and pop3) than SCO
supplies. And be very careful with IMAP: all but the very latest
versions (we use the April 98 version) have a huge security hole (easy
root access) that very many hackers on the Internet seem to know about.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw
Systems Manager

**** What's next for the axe after tobacco? ****
**** (Hint: It often crashes) ****

1. Email server advice - UNIX, NT?

Hotmail. I'm trying to set up something like hotmail.

The goal here is set set up a site at which users can sign up for the
service (enter a UID and password) and immediately have an email
account at mydomain.com via a web interface.

Of course there are hundreds of sites that already do this... which is
why I'm optimistic that someone who has done this will read my post.

I supposed I'll need an email server that has some soft of programming
interface to it ( MailServer.Accounts.CreateNew = bsmith ) or
something like that. So that as soon as the user signs up an email
account is created dynamically for them.

The email server doesn't have to include a web interface. I've seen
several stand alone web interfaces for POP3 /SMTP servers available.

I've done a tad bit of ASP VBScript and would prefer to stick with NT
but am not at all against using UNIX.

Regards,
Joe

2. A beginner's question....

3. Moving mail from SCO Unix to Win NT help needed

4. Dell Monitor question.

5. Linux Email & File Server ?? Need advice

6. Printcap settings?

7. Need arguments, Unix vs NT for www/email server

8. Array - getopt problem

9. Moving SCO files to NT

10. Moving to iptables from ipchains - need advice

11. HELP! Need advice on moving to Unix platform.

12. Linux versus SCO versus NT advice.

13. HELP! Need advice on moving to Unix platform.