Installation problem: SCO OpenServer 5.0 + Toshiba notebook + CD-ROM

Installation problem: SCO OpenServer 5.0 + Toshiba notebook + CD-ROM

Post by Krivovyaz Vladimir K » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

    Dear SCO users !

    I am russian engineer trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0
I have a problem with installation procedure but SCO tech. support
can not help me. SCO Hardware Compatibility Handbook does not
describe my case.

    I have to use Toshiba T2130CT notebook and quad speed Panasonic
CD-ROM (KXL-D740). This CD-ROM is connected to notebook with SCSI
cable and PC Card (PCMCIA). It works fine with Windows-95 but
when I try to install SCO OpenServer I always have "No SCSI host
adapter was found..." I already tryed different  bootstrins but
have got no result.

    According to Hardware Compatibility Handbook it is possible
to install SCO on Toshiba notebooks but there were no any instructions
how to do it.

    Could you please help me to solve the problem.

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    Nick Safronov

Installation problem: SCO OpenServer 5.0 + Toshiba notebook + CD-ROM

Post by Jeremiah Lyd » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>    Dear SCO users !

>    I am russian engineer trying to install SCO OpenServer
5.0
>I have a problem with installation procedure but SCO tech.
support
>can not help me. SCO Hardware Compatibility Handbook does
not
>describe my case.

>    I have to use Toshiba T2130CT notebook and quad speed
Panasonic
>CD-ROM (KXL-D740). This CD-ROM is connected to notebook
with SCSI
>cable and PC Card (PCMCIA). It works fine with Windows-95
but
>when I try to install SCO OpenServer I always have "No SCSI
host
>adapter was found..." I already tryed different  bootstrins
but
>have got no result.

>    According to Hardware Compatibility Handbook it is
possible
>to install SCO on Toshiba notebooks but there were no any
instructions
>how to do it.

>    Could you please help me to solve the problem.

>    Thanks in advance for any information.

>    Nick Safronov

Toshiba's can be tricky to install to Nick, however, it is
possible to do.

I just finished installing SCO OS5 on a Tecra w/ Win95 as
a separate boot OS.

I need some additional info from you such as what are you
typing at the "boot:" prompt and secondly while booting,
what does the line starting with "%Adapter..." read.

Regards,

Jeremiah Lydia                    |   Tel: (502) 267-8629
JLTech                (U.S.A)     |      : (502) 267-2080
8915 Gutenburg Road               |   Fax: (502) 267-2080

1. Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

Hello,

I'am trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0 on a PC
(DELL Optiplex GXL 5133), using an IDE cd-rom.

The hard disk (Western Digital caviar 31600) and
the cd-rom (Nec Corp. CDR-273) are on the same (primary)
IDE controler (Master and Slave).

No problems with the boot sequence (loading BTLD ATAPI
driver with the defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI)

I 'Identify the installation media device' as
'SCSI CD-ROM' with these parameters :
host adaptater type : wd
host adaptater number : 0
SCSI-ID : 1
SCSI-LUN : 0
SCSI bus number : 0

I have the first graphics screens, but the PC stop
when I have the (graphic) message :
'testing media installation device...'

did I do something wrong ?

I don't know if the problem is the ATAPI driver or
the hard disk driver...

I see something strange (?) in the system hardware report
The %adaptater and %disk have the same address...
(The %adaptater parameters seems to be OK when I read
the 'Release note')

I have already check the hard disk jumpers and the cd-rom
jumpers...

Should I add something like this at the boot prompt (?) :
defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI hd=... Sdsk=...(0,0,0,0)

I searched some informations on the Western Digital WEB server :
they say that NOVELL NetWare and UNIX do not work with the
translating BIOS feature (LBA : Logical Block Addressing (?))

Is it true for SCO unix ?

Should I disable this in the CMOS setup ?

Did someone have the same problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome MILAZZO.

PS: I hope there is no mistake in this text, I'am French...!

2. Pentium II and SCO

3. drivers for a cd-rom changer for SCO OpenServer 5.0

4. Environment variables and C

5. (E)IDE CD-ROM problems with SCO OpenServer

6. How secure is "mt erase" ?

7. SCO Free OpenServer and Creative CD-Blaster 2x CD-ROM

8. YP timeout printing in libc

9. Problem with Toshiba Cd-rom during installation

10. Installation problem: Toshiba + CD-ROM + OS 5.0.0

11. SCO OpenServer 5.0 installation on SCSI2 system problem

12. RedHat 5.0 Installation Problem NEC CD-ROM?

13. Installing Free SCO Openserver; CD-ROM not recognised