Setting up OS5 for Internet dial-up workstation WITHOUT Internet Fast Start HOW ?

Setting up OS5 for Internet dial-up workstation WITHOUT Internet Fast Start HOW ?

Post by Robert Hic » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I posted this question a few weeks ago without any response.  I am sure SOMEONE
out there KNOWS how to do this, so I will ask again.

I will be using a OpenServer 5 with X as a workstation.  I need to be able to
make this workstation call out and connect via PPP to an ISP.   The IP
addressing will be dynamic until we get our own connection at work, then it
will be static.

How do I go about setting up the workstation for internet communications ?

I would like to be able to use mail, news, and DNS services.

Thanks,

Robert

Post by Marty D. Cudmor » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
> Subject: Setting up OS5 for Internet dial-up workstation WITHOUT Internet

Fast Start     HOW ?

> Date: 25 Aug 1996 02:38:21 GMT

> make this workstation call out and connect via PPP to an ISP.   The IP
> addressing will be dynamic until we get our own connection at work, then it
> will be static.

> How do I go about setting up the workstation for internet communications ?

> I would like to be able to use mail, news, and DNS services.

> Thanks,

> Robert

Basically, you need to set up a dynamic outgoing ppp connection using the
netconfig utility.  This can be a little tricky but usually isn't too bad.

You need to be familiar with setting up your modem and such.

Once you get your connection working you can set up the DNS stuff in
your '/etc/resolv.conf' file that points you to your DNS server.  You
also want your system to check it's local '/etc/hosts' file since you
won't always be on the net to do your address resolution.  There's also a
file in '/etc/default' I think it is called inet or tcp or something that
you need to edit to get your ppp connection to forward IP packets across it's
interface to any network cards you might be using.  On top of that, if you
are not using a router you may need to turn on your routing daemon.

Sheesh, you are in for a long week if you haven't ever done any of this!
Pop me an email if you need more guidance!

Regards,
Marty D. Cudmore