Emulating a term in cron

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 03 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Keith A. Clay writes:

[You can also use 'v' to view or save this part.]

Quote:> I am trying to run IQ (Intelligent Query Report Writer) scripts from
> cron so that reports can do processing at night.  The problem is that
> they bomb.  They run fine from a prompt and run fine from 'at'.  Is
> there a way to trick IQ into thinking that it is actually running on a
> terminal?

> example command line:
>   % iq3 -Q -dddmst3.dat -pparameter_file DATABASE_PROCEDURE_NAME

> where -Q - tells it it is a batch and use iqbatch.err for errors
>       -d - tells it which data dictionary
>       -p - is basically the search criteria

> Does anyone use IQ in this way, or know a way around the problem?

There is no trick at all, just use the standard Bourne shell grammar for
putting variables into the environment of a command:
        A=a_value S=something command
or in your case
        TERM=wy50 iq3 -Q -dddmst3.dat -pparameter_file DATABASE_PROCEDURE_NAME
noting that probably ANY valid value for TERM will probably work.

--

Tony Lawrence writes:

> : I am trying to run IQ (Intelligent Query Report Writer) scripts from
> : cron so that reports can do processing at night.  The problem is that
> : they bomb.  They run fine from a prompt and run fine from 'at'.  Is
> : there a way to trick IQ into thinking that it is actually running on a
> : terminal?

> Sure.  You simply need to preface it with something like

> TERM=wy60; export TERM

On that line, the semicolon is NOT required.

And even
        TERM=wy60 export TERM
        command
can in turn be written even more simply on one line as
        TERM=wy60 command

--

Emulating a term in cron

Post by Sam Liddico » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    TERM=wy60 export TERM
>    command
>    TERM=wy60 command

Beware here.
The first example works, due to the nature of export;
The second example only sets TERM for COMMAND, for the rest of the script
TERM has its old value, which in this case is nothing.

Sam Liddicott                  |   Nothing I say is to be attributed as
Campbell Scientific Ltd.       | a company statement or representation.
14-20 Field Street, Shepshed,  *----------------------------------------

1. terms emulating terms? help!

        Hi! I'm wondering if there is a unix utility out there
that will emulate a terminal so I can test software settings.
I want to test software's  terminal modes but I don't have
the model I want..so while I'm in xterm, I'd like
to be able to emulate odd things like a wyse50 and talk to
software that treats me like a wyse50 and see what a wyse50 would
see, even though i'm on xterm (or vt100). Is there such a simple
thing out there? please point me to it! thanks!
-Mark

2. Can't compile kernel under Slackware 2.0

3. Emulating cron (processing at certain time periods)

4. Password Problems

5. Emulating SLIP with TERM

6. -lthread and -lpthread

7. WANTED: Software to emulate virtual terminals on VT220 and 3151 Terms

8. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

9. UNIX QUESTION: HOW SHOULD I EMULATE A TERM SO I CAN GET ACCENTS

10. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management

11. FoxBase job from cron wants TERM string

12. running term from a cron job

13. cron and visual cron