URGENT, HELP NEEDED!!!!

Post by Skylight Box Offic » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I HAVE to get this system back up and running!!  It runs all of our
ticket sales!!

I had a hardrive failure and was given a new drive.  I am trying to
reinstall SCO Unix ver 5.0 and have some problems.

The first time I installed it, it installed fine but the open server did
not work.  I got no mouse control, nor could I use ALT to access any of
the tool bars.  I was fine if I accessed it directly from unix (text
based).  I thought the problem was in the pointer devise I selected and
tried to (from unix) use mkdev mouse to remove the old definition files,
then select the proper devise (a low res keyboard mouse).  I rebuilt the
kernel and set it to the default kernel.  When I rebooted, it crashed.
I thought that I must have made a mistake and tried a new install of
Unix.  This time I selected the proper mouse right from the start.  The
install went fine (except the error message posted earlier about network
drivers).  When I rebooted, the system crashed again.....HARD!   The
following is an approximation of the screen:

                                                    Kernel ID
devise                    address            .......
the usual stuff...

Warning:  SCSI Adapter: cannot install int vecno=12, type=4, IPL=5
                Vector 12 is private
Warning:  alad:  Poll command failed on drive ID:0

Warning: hd: no root disk controller
H iinit
Panic: srmountfun -Error19 mounting rootdev (1/42)
trying to dump 8095 pages to dumpdev (1/41) at blocl 0, 102 pages per
'.'
Error 19 opening dumpdev (1/41)

Dump not complete

** Safe to power off **
                -OR-
** Press any key to Reboot **

What can I do??  I know the new hd was working!!  It is a SCSI drive,
different than the one I origonally had.

I am NOT well versed in this type of thing.  I am a good casual user of
Unix but this is my first install.

P.S.  During the install, I partioned the drive.  I recieved an error
that the boot sector was exceeding the 1024 cylindar, or something like
that.  It allowed me to continue though....

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!  Please send to my email as well to
assure I get your response as soon as posible.  It is imparitive that I
get this back up NOW!!!

URGENT, HELP NEEDED!!!!

Post by David Clayt » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I had a hardrive failure and was given a new drive.  I am trying to
>reinstall SCO Unix ver 5.0 and have some problems.

>The first time I installed it, it installed fine but the open server did
>not work.  I got no mouse control, nor could I use ALT to access any of
>the tool bars.  I was fine if I accessed it directly from unix (text
>based).  I thought the problem was in the pointer devise I selected and
>tried to (from unix) use mkdev mouse to remove the old definition files,
>then select the proper devise (a low res keyboard mouse).  I rebuilt the
>kernel and set it to the default kernel.  When I rebooted, it crashed.
>I thought that I must have made a mistake and tried a new install of
>Unix.  This time I selected the proper mouse right from the start.  The
>install went fine (except the error message posted earlier about network
>drivers).  When I rebooted, the system crashed again.....HARD!   The
>following is an approximation of the screen:

>                                                    Kernel ID
>devise                    address            .......
>the usual stuff...

>Warning:  SCSI Adapter: cannot install int vecno=12, type=4, IPL=5
>                Vector 12 is private

Okey dokey, you have probably used "mkdev mouse" to install a High res
or Low res keyboard mouse.

This is a PS/2 mouse and uses IRQ 12, which your SCSI card is also
trying to use, that's your problem.

You will have to re-boot, go into your P.C.'s BIOS and force it to not
allocate IRQ 12 to the SCSI card, or use the SCSI card setup to use
another vacant IRQ, like 11 or 10.

If this doesn't work reboot and enter "unix.old" at the "Boot:" prompt.

Then you can remove the mouse and get it back to where it was
previously.

Regards, David.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"I refuse to short-change the 20th century to only allow it 99 years, the 21st century begins with the year 2001, not 2000.", check this URL for details:
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/faq2.html