Atapi IDE CD-ROM does not work

Post by arch harr » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am running OSR.5-0-2 on a Dell 233 Mhz system.
I have installed OSS451B.
The system came with
an EIDE ATAPI NEC 1800A CDrom which works fine.  I took out the NEC-1800a
cdrom and replaced it with a NewCom 16x cdrom (which in fact was
made by Wearnes, model CDD-1620).  The claim is this is also
an ATAPI EIDE CD-ROM.  Win-95, Win-NT and Linux have all recognized it
as such, and it works fine for them.  But not OSR.5-0-2.  Any process
hangs if it tries to read from the CD-rom (that is the process goes
into a state where it cannot be killed, even with kill -9).

Anyone have any ideas.  I was under the impression OSR should work
with ANY atapi EIDE CD-ROM.  If that is true, then either OSR has a bug,
or the CD-ROM has a bug.  Is it common to find atapi CD-roms which
do NOT work with OSR?

I am confident the cabling and switch settings are not the problem.
Not only have I checked them twice, the CDrom does work with the
other OSes.  Some*details (same for the NEC which worked and the
Wearnes which did not).  The CDrom is the master on the secondary IDE channel.
There is a hard disk which is slave on the secondary channel.  The hard
disk is jumpered to be slave (it does not support cable select).
The CDROM is jumpered to use cable select and I have a cable which supports
cable selection (I did try jumpering the CDROM as master, it
had no effect). The primary ide channel has a hard disk on it.

--
----
Arch

| (540) 568 - 2774        Harrisonburg, VA 22807    |

Atapi IDE CD-ROM does not work

Post by ECSta » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

<SNIP>

Quote:>The CDrom is the master on the secondary IDE channel.
>There is a hard disk which is slave on the secondary channel.  The hard
>disk is jumpered to be slave (it does not support cable select).
>The CDROM is jumpered to use cable select and I have a cable which supports
>cable selection (I did try jumpering the CDROM as master, it
>had no effect). The primary ide channel has a hard disk on it.

I finally moved my ATAPI EIDE CD to the primary IDE channel, and all was well.
How annoying!

Eric Stahl

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I am running OSR.5-0-2 on a Dell 233 Mhz system.
> I have installed OSS451B.
> The system came with
> an EIDE ATAPI NEC 1800A CDrom which works fine.  I took out the NEC-1800a
> cdrom and replaced it with a NewCom 16x cdrom (which in fact was
> made by Wearnes, model CDD-1620).  The claim is this is also
> an ATAPI EIDE CD-ROM.  Win-95, Win-NT and Linux have all recognized it
> as such, and it works fine for them.  But not OSR.5-0-2.  Any process
> hangs if it tries to read from the CD-rom (that is the process goes
> into a state where it cannot be killed, even with kill -9).

> Anyone have any ideas.  I was under the impression OSR should work
> with ANY atapi EIDE CD-ROM.  If that is true, then either OSR has a bug,
> or the CD-ROM has a bug.  Is it common to find atapi CD-roms which
> do NOT work with OSR?

Newer releases of OpenServer get progressively better at dealing with
the manifold quirks of ATAPI CD-ROMs.  Neither 5.0.2 nor even oss451b is
absolutely the newest "wd" driver.

Quote:> I am confident the cabling and switch settings are not the problem.
> Not only have I checked them twice, the CDrom does work with the
> other OSes.  Some*details (same for the NEC which worked and the
> Wearnes which did not).  The CDrom is the master on the secondary IDE channel.
> There is a hard disk which is slave on the secondary channel.  The hard
> disk is jumpered to be slave (it does not support cable select).
> The CDROM is jumpered to use cable select and I have a cable which supports
> cable selection (I did try jumpering the CDROM as master, it
> had no effect). The primary ide channel has a hard disk on it.

Here are some probes you can try:

  1. Boot your 5.0.2 N00 and enter "tools" at the Boot: prompt.  Does it
     access the CD correctly?

  2. Same, but BTLD oss451b.  I believe you would enter "tools link=wd".

  3. Add "Srom=wd(1,0,0)" (i.e. secondary, master) to either of the
     above.

  4. Try OSR5.0.4 N00 (optionally with "Srom=wd(1,0,0) wd.noscan").

  5. Check ftp://ftp.sco.com/SLS for even newer 5.0.4-based N00 disks or
     "wd" BTLDs, I've lost track of whether there is one.

Also a possible solution:

  6. In BIOS setup, see whether you can tune "PIO modes" (might have a
     different name -- should be a per-position speed setting for each
     IDE device).  Set it to the lowest supported speed.  Cause: Windows
     & Linux IDE drivers will program the controller to an appropriate
     PIO mode, overriding the BIOS.  OSR5 "wd" driver relies on BIOS
     having set it correctly.  BIOS may have set it to a speed that the
     drive cannot handle.  Seems unlikely, for a supposedly 16x drive,
     but still possible.

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Telecommuting
from Benburb, N.Ireland; Munich, Germany next.    +Please don't Cc me on news

Post by arch harr » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[...]

My thanks to Eric Stohl for his response.  I moved the CD-ROM to
be the secondary device on the primary channel and it worked!
I then tried making it the slave device on the secondary channel
and again it worked.  It appears that CD-ROM and OSR5.0.2 just have
the problem with the CD-ROM being master on the secondary channel
(I did not test hat would happen if it was master on the
primary channel).

--
----
Arch
| Dr. J. Archer Harris    Dept of Computer Science  |

| (540) 568 - 2774        Harrisonburg, VA 22807    |

Atapi IDE CD-ROM does not work

Post by arch harr » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: My thanks to Eric Stohl for his response.

Oops, that should be Stahl.  Sorry.

--
----
Arch
| Dr. J. Archer Harris    Dept of Computer Science  |

| (540) 568 - 2774        Harrisonburg, VA 22807    |

1. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

Okay, I have been out of this group for some time, and now am
getting setup as a ISP (Internet Service Provider).  I was going to
use Windows/NT but decided that linux offered just a much with very
little start-up cost, as far as server software goes.
I was wondering if someone could spend a couple of minutes to save
me some time.  I read the CD-ROM howto, and am somewhat perplexed
on getting my "Que" Special Editon-Using Linux CD-ROM to be
accepted for installation.  I used the "fips" to make a partition
(250meg) just for the swap/native part of linxu.  But can't get the
setup utility to recognize my cd-rom, it's a "ACER"
Quad/600kb/250ms and uses the IDE/ATAPI interface (connects to the
motherboard, not the Sound-Card).  Is there some way to install off
of the cd-rom or am I going to be forced to do it with floppies?
Thanks for any info.
I'll scan this group for a reply, or if you want, send info on
e-mail.

--

   A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.

2. multicast forwarding

3. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

4. Performance? Linux/386/ppp W/ 4 Internal Modems

5. IDE ATAPI Mitsumi CD-ROM works !!!

6. Kaffe & AWT ( & BISS )

7. Mitsumi IDE ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized

8. installing patches in autoinstall area?

9. ATAPI IDE CD-ROM (Mitsumi) Not Being Recognised

10. atapi ide cd-rom not detected when using idecd boot disk????!!!!

11. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

12. Q: IDE Hitachi 8X ATAPI-BUS IDE (CDR-7930) CD-ROM

13. 4 ide drives & Mitsumi (IDE/ATAPI) CD-ROM via SB