FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

Post by Mark L. Wis » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Jeff.  I tried the commands and they work fine.  I wish that there
was a way to spy on the port 110 conversations (log the sessions) so that I
could see if Outlook is issuing a command that the POP3 server cannot
handle....

BTW, I downloaded an IMAP server from SCO skunkware and I'm trying that
now.....

--
Mark L. Wise
Alpha II Service, Inc.
614 868 5033 (Voice)
614 868 1060 (Fax)

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 4:06 PM

Subject: Re: Win98 and POP3 mail services

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:41:38 GMT, "Mark L. Wise"

>I have just added a Win98 client machine to my network.

Oh-0h.

>Now I can send messages just fine, but I am unable to receive messages that
>originate from the SCO box and I get 'Mailbox is not in the expected
format'
>messages after I retrieve mail via the POP server.

The first step to solving such problems is to assign the blame.
The list of contestants are:
1.  3.2v4.2 popper
2.  Windoze 98
3.  Outlook 98
4.  Operator Error.

Fire up your Windoze 98 telenet and run:

=>> telnet comix 110
Trying 192.168.111.1...
Connected to comix.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK SCO POP3 server (version 2.1.4-R3) at
comix.comix.santa-cruz.ca.us starting
user jeffl
+OK Password required for jeffl.
pass xxxxxx
+OK jeffl has 39 message(s) (48888 octets).
retr 1
(lots of junk deleted)
quit
+OK Pop server at comixs.comix.santa-cruz.ca.us signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.

If that works, then popper and Unix are fine.

My guess is that you're using some of the POP3 extensions and the
3.2v4.2 popper incantation is failing.  I don't have Windoze 98
or Outlook 98 so I can't tell you how to control this.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list
--

150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA  95060
408-699-0483 pager   408-429-1240 fax

FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

Post by Mark L. Wis » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Outlook has options to set how to send and receive mail (as well as user
names and passwords for login).

I have applied the unencrypted password option on Win98 and I am able to
mount files on a SCO 5.0.4 VisionFS box without trouble.  I am using SMTP
for outgoing mail with no errors, it is only the incoming mail which gives
me trouble and only local mail at that.

I was thinking that the only difference in incoming mail is that local mail
has a From:<username> only whereas mail from outside has

--
Mark L. Wise
Alpha II Service, Inc.