User account defaults in OS5

Post by Rob D » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

  Previously, under 3.2v4.2, whenever I configured a new installation,
I always chose /u as the default home directory and ksh as the default
shell for new accounts, making these changes by editing the file
/etc/default/authsh.

  Now, under OS5, I assumed that I could make the same changes thru
the accounts manager with "Options" -> "User defaults".  Sure
enough, changing these values changed the default values that now
come up when I create a new user thru the accounts manager, but the
initial values in /etc/default/authsh are unchanged (from /usr and
sh).

  Is this file no longer consulted?  Is there a priority?  Is
this a dumb question?

rday

Post by Louis D. Imershe » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

|>   Previously, under 3.2v4.2, whenever I configured a new installation,
|> I always chose /u as the default home directory and ksh as the default
|> shell for new accounts, making these changes by editing the file
|> /etc/default/authsh.
|>
|>   Now, under OS5, I assumed that I could make the same changes thru
|> the accounts manager with "Options" -> "User defaults".  Sure
|> enough, changing these values changed the default values that now
|> come up when I create a new user thru the accounts manager, but the
|> initial values in /etc/default/authsh are unchanged (from /usr and
|> sh).
|>
|>   Is this file no longer consulted?  Is there a priority?  Is
|> this a dumb question?
|>
|> rday
Its not a dumb question.  Its a perfectly good question.
The file /etc/default/authsh remains on the system for backwards compatability.
The SCOAdmin Accounts Manager uses the file /etc/default/accounts which is in
a slightly different format.

Louis Imershein
Distributed Objects & Systems Management Engineering
SCO Product Development
Chair, IEEE POSIX 1387.3: Systems Management: User/Group Account Management

Post by Rob D » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: |>   Previously, under 3.2v4.2, whenever I configured a new installation,
: |> I always chose /u as the default home directory and ksh as the default
: |> shell for new accounts, making these changes by editing the file
: |> /etc/default/authsh.
: |>
: |>   Now, under OS5, I assumed that I could make the same changes thru
: |> the accounts manager with "Options" -> "User defaults".  Sure
: |> enough, changing these values changed the default values that now
: |> come up when I create a new user thru the accounts manager, but the
: |> initial values in /etc/default/authsh are unchanged (from /usr and
: |> sh).
: |>
: |>   Is this file no longer consulted?  Is there a priority?  Is
: |> this a dumb question?
: |>
: |> rday

: The file /etc/default/authsh remains on the system for backwards compatability.

By backward compatibility, do you mean that it is now ignored?  Since making
editing changes in /etc/default/authsh have no effect, this is the assumption
I'm making.

: The SCOAdmin Accounts Manager uses the file /etc/default/accounts which is in
: a slightly different format.

While we're on the topic of user accounts, another fine point.  My
/etc/default/accounts file has the value MIN_ADMIN_UID=200.  I've created
a test account with UID=999 just for fun, but now when I went to create
another account, I was given the next UID of 1000, obviously selected to
follow 999.  Does the accounts manager not check to see that UID=200 is
available and is valid?  Just curious.

rday

: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>   Previously, under 3.2v4.2, whenever I configured a new installation,
> I always chose /u as the default home directory and ksh as the default
> shell for new accounts, making these changes by editing the file
> /etc/default/authsh.

>   Now, under OS5, I assumed that I could make the same changes thru
> the accounts manager with "Options" -> "User defaults".  Sure
> enough, changing these values changed the default values that now
> come up when I create a new user thru the accounts manager, but the
> initial values in /etc/default/authsh are unchanged (from /usr and
> sh).

>   Is this file no longer consulted?  Is there a priority?  Is
> this a dumb question?

As Louis said, the Scoadmin Accounts Manager uses a diffferent file;
/etc/default/authsh remains for backwards compatibility.  But it mainly
remains for the use of sysadmsh (authsh).  The old sysadmsh still exists
in Release 5, but you have to explicitly install it.  It can be found in
custom(ADM) under:

  SCO OpenServer Enterprise System
  -> SCO OpenServer Enterprise System UNIX
    -> SCO OpenServer Enterprise System Utilities
      -> Extended Utilities
        -> sysadmsh

You'll also find two other "legacy" packages hidden down there which
don't get installed by default:

        -> System V Layers         (which is the support package for
                                    AT&T tty5620 terminals, also known
                                    as "DMD" or "Blit")
        -> Tplot, Graph and Spline

Quote:>Bela<

1. Use WinNT User Accounts on Linux -- Centralize User Accounts

Dear there,
All my user accounts are on my Windows NT 4.0 server. But my ftp and email
servers are Linux. Is it possible to use the WinNT accounts onto my Linux
servers so that each user only has one username/password on my network? How
can I configure it if possible?
Any help would be appreciated.
Ross

2. Help - SOCKS almost working but not quite

3. setting defaults for new user accounts

4. Q: Odd tape-drive problem...

5. Default user accounts

6. net management tools

7. Default User Accounts

8. My Subnet can't see the world, help:

9. user accounts & default desktop

10. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

11. AliasMatch from ~/account to /users/account

12. Sendmail: giving user accounts an e-mail account