V3.2.4.1 Hard Disk Compatibility Problem

V3.2.4.1 Hard Disk Compatibility Problem

Post by Jim Darle » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Help!

What 2 GB SCSI-Narrow Hard Drive is currently available to meet the
following criteria?

1.  To be installed in a 486 computer as the second drive replacing a
Fujitsu M2622 330MB SCSI hard drive.

2.  Must be listed in the SCO Hardware Compatibility Handbook as being
compatible with SCO UNIX 3.2.4.1.

3.  Must be compatible with an Adaptec 1742 SCSI adapter (32-bit, EISA).

Also...

Is there anyone out there in the Toronto/Barrie Ontario area who is
qualified (hardware installation and SCO UNIX knowledge) to help me
install this baby?  For money, of course.

*** Jim Darley ***

V3.2.4.1 Hard Disk Compatibility Problem

Post by Jim Kot » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

blessed us with his opinion of the following..

Quote:

>Help!

>What 2 GB SCSI-Narrow Hard Drive is currently available to meet the
>following criteria?

Do a Seagate. Stay away from Quantum
[ SNIP ]

>Also...

>Is there anyone out there in the Toronto/Barrie Ontario area who is
>qualified (hardware installation and SCO UNIX knowledge) to help me
>install this baby?  For money, of course.

>*** Jim Darley ***

I'm not in your area (am in US), but I can work with you over the phone. I
walk customers and technicians through it all the time. Wouldn't take too
terribly long.

E-mail me back if you'd like to discuss it more (make sure you remove the *
from the end of my email address before replying).

--
Jim Kotan

In an attempt to foil bulk-emailers, my "reply-to" address has been
altered.To reply to this message, remove the asterisk from the end
of my email address.
                ----- Disclaimer -----
All comments, statements, recommendations and/or opinions are mine
alone and not to be construed as being affiliated with any past,
present or future employers, employees, affiliates, associates,
associations, contractors, customers, magazines/newsletters I
do/have written for and/or anyone else in the universe, living or
dead, real or fictional.

1. Red Hat 6.2 Hardware compatibility with Hard Disk Drives

Hello Linux Gurus,

I bought a Dell Dimenstion XPST700r PC recently that came with Windows 98
SE. I also bought a book Special Edition of Using Red Hat Linux from Que
which included a Red Hat 6.2 CD-ROM.

My PC came with a big 20GB hard disk on a single drive (C:). I used FIPS
from a bootable DOS floppy to create a new partition (at cylinder 1965) of
about 4GB (D:). I was planning to install Linux on D drive.

When I booted my PC from Red Hat 6.2 CD-ROM, the graphics installer started
properly. I went through the steps as prompted on the screen (selecting
language, keyboard, mouse etc.) and also as documented in the book. However
the book said that I will be asked to choose where I am loading Linux from
(CD-ROM, Hard Disk etc...) before the graphics installer asks me to choose
Mouse Configuration. It did not ask me to choose where I am loading Linux
from, but took me striaght to the Mouse Configuraion. After that it took me
to Installation Type Screen and I chose the defaults of New Installation (as
opposed to Upgrade) with GNOME workstation (as opposed to KDE Workstation).
I did not choose "Use FDISK" as it was not the default. When I click <Next>
on this screen I get the following error message -
"An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new
filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

I am not sure I understand this message. My hard-disk is a Maxtor New
DiamondMax Plus 40 Series 20.4 GB IDE 52049U4 Ultra DMA 66 hard drive with a
Promise Technology's Ultra66 IDE Controller.

Currently the first partition of about 15.4GB is assigned to C drive where
Win98 resides happily. The other partition created with the help of FIPS
(which seemed to work fine) is about 4 GB starting at cylinder 1965.

According to the book, the graphics installer should have taken me to the
"Auto Partitioning" screen right after the "Installation Type" screen but
instead I get the above error message.

Any help will be greatly appreciated by this first time Linux Installer.

Thanks,
Nitin.

PS: The Dell rep thought that all the hardware on my PC should be compatible
with Linux !!

2. SAMBA problem

3. Sun ultra 5 hard disk compatibility

4. VVR vs SRDF

5. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

6. Trouble reading CF cards with Uno card reader

7. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

8. problem with persistent /var/tmp/.pop files

9. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

10. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

11. man problems - nfs from V3.2 to V3.1 machine

12. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?