xenix to unix file conversion FROM XENIX TAPE

xenix to unix file conversion FROM XENIX TAPE

Post by BATYG » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have a few file on a 600a tape in xenix format that I need to get onto my
unix hd. I have installed the tape drive but cannot get it to extract I have
read all the stuff on the sco web sight it doesn't help. can anyone tell me how
to do this !!!! THANKS IF YOU CAN!!

Post by Eric Hansso » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have a few file on a 600a tape in xenix format that I need to get onto my
> unix hd. I have installed the tape drive but cannot get it to extract I have
> read all the stuff on the sco web sight it doesn't help. can anyone tell me how
> to do this !!!! THANKS IF YOU CAN!!

THANKS YOURSELF FOR NOT SPECIFYING YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM.
That way you have practically guaranteed less answers than you whould get
if you did.

man xrestor

--
eric
I'm an excellent driver.                        "Dustin Hoffman

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have a few file on a 600a tape in xenix format that I need to get onto my
> unix hd. I have installed the tape drive but cannot get it to extract I have
> read all the stuff on the sco web sight it doesn't help. can anyone tell me how
> to do this !!!! THANKS IF YOU CAN!!

Well, do you mean that you can't access the tape drive or that
you can't get data off?

If the tape is just not being seen, more information about
the tape, the controller, and "uname -X" would help.

If the tape is working, and you know what's on it (tar, cpio,
or something else), then your problem could be block size
disagreement and could be remedied with setblk (see "man tape").

If you don't know what's on the tape, try dumping some of
it to a file ("dd if=/dev/rct0 of=/tmp/whatisthis count=100"
should work).  Then "file /tmp/whatisthis" might
help you identify what you have.

I suppose you might have an old Xenix dump file.  See "man
xrestore" for that.  It's a pretty awful thing: your only
options would be to bring back a whole filesystem or else
individual files, but unfortunately named with their
inode number!

Let's hope you have a tar or cpio archive :-)

--

SCO ACE
Microsoft MCSE

1. Reading multi-volume xenix tar files on non xenix systems

I am in the process of migrating some old software from a 386
running xenix onto a 486 running Linux (Please, no flames about
OS choice. I'm not interested.)

With the old software monthly archival data was written out to floppies
using Xenix multi-volume tar files. Now, I'd like to be able to read
those multi-volume tar files on the new Linux installation.
The problem is that the floppies contain large files that span
more than one disk.

Xenix tar recognizes that the next disk is a continuation of the
file on the previous disk, but if I untar the disks on linux this,
of course, does not work. The second or subsequence volumes just
get interpreted as a new file with the same name as an existing file,
and the existing file gets overwritten.

As a kludge I can read in the different volumes into separate directories
and append the resulting files with the same name by hand, but this is no
solution for the end user who wants to be able to get at his archival data.
Does anyone have source code for a version of tar that will read these Xenix
multi-volume tar files?

Thanks,

-- eric

Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

2. UNIX mail / Microsoft Mail

3. Wanted: Xenix 2.3.4 or Xenix 2.3.4 GT

4. Which Kernel???

5. Mount xenix /u system under SCO 5.02 and WD network card with Xenix

6. how to enable ssh logins?

7. diff. XENIX problems: need SCSI-Support, move XENIX to another HD, ...

8. which video card for 24 bit at 1024x768 or more?

9. Parallel port devices (SCSI, Tape, Ethernet adapter) on Xenix/Unix

10. Utility to aid Unix/Xenix/DOS file copying

11. Xenix tar to DOS data conversion