Why are AWK and SED slower on OS5?

Post by David T McGra » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I've just upgraded from ODT 3.0 to OS5 and was slightly shocked to find
some of my server scripts running slower. In fact one script was 4-5 time
slower on OS5!

I wrote a few scripts using 'time' to test the speed of a simple AWK
program and ran it on identical machines. One with OS5, one with ODT 3.0.

time awk '{print $0}' datafile.txt >/dev/null
was 5.3 times slower on OS5

time sed -e "s/this if fast/this is slow/" datafile.txt >/dev/null
was 2 times slower on OS5

My solution was to copy the release 4 versions of AWK and SED in place of
the OS5 version. Performance is now identical on both boxes.

Any ideas?

Dave

David McGrath               SkiCentral
WebSmith Developments Inc   http://ski.websmith.ca/ski/

Why are AWK and SED slower on OS5?

Post by Roger Corneli » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've just upgraded from ODT 3.0 to OS5 and was slightly shocked to find
>some of my server scripts running slower. In fact one script was 4-5 time
>slower on OS5!

For a real shock, copy any SCO XENIX sort binary (286 or 386) to any SCO
UNIX system and test it against the UNIX sort.  Even the 286 version
will beat the UNIX one.  I was told at one time this was because of all
the locale stuff in the UNIX sort.

Sorry this wasn't an actual "helpful" post.
--

Why are AWK and SED slower on OS5?

Post by San Sano » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: >
: >I've just upgraded from ODT 3.0 to OS5 and was slightly shocked to find
: >some of my server scripts running slower. In fact one script was 4-5 time
: >slower on OS5!

That's right...  Try any ls on /etc. It sorts too slow!!

: For a real shock, copy any SCO XENIX sort binary (286 or 386) to any SCO
: UNIX system and test it against the UNIX sort.  Even the 286 version
: will beat the UNIX one.  I was told at one time this was because of all
: the locale stuff in the UNIX sort.

I was told about ls was written in asm in the beginning...

--
Sincerely Yours,
                                Sanny Sanoff

1. Server getting slower and slower. Why?

I have a web site (Apache, PHP, MySql) with a considerable amount of
traffic (1 Million Hits daily / 50'000 Pageimpressions daily) running
on a Red Hat Linux/PIII-1GHz/1.5GB RAM-Server.

When we set up the server, 100 concurrent Sessions created a load of
about 5 and the server was quite fast. Right now the same number of
sessions results in a load of 30. What's the reason? The table have
grown by maybe 20%, but indexes are set correctly. The disk is quite
full (about 90% full). Could the disc activity be the reason?

Thanks for your answers!

Silvan
tilllate.com

2. netscape crashes ??? !!!

3. Any idea, why this awk/sed combination isn't working?

4. Help w/Carbon Copy & AT&T 3B2

5. Am I using old-AWK or new-AWK?

6. selection, gpm problem

7. sed/awk - generating Makefiles (Re: awk processing of Makefile macros)

8. Apache 2.0.36, Tomcat 4.0.3, RedHat 7.3

9. PPP gets slower and slower

10. telnet logins running slower and slower...

11. awk behaves different on ODT3 and OS5

12. Workshop 4.2 -> 5.0 -> 6.0 slower and slower...

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.