MS-Windows 3.x running on ODT 2.0/3.0

Post by Edward Hooper » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

I guess the subject says it all, except: how do I do this?  I have a few X
terminals on my net (NCD 17c's), and my boss would like the users to have
applications that may not exist for X.  Basic office management stuff like
rolodex, scratch pad, etc.

Also, how much disk space, above and beyond what MS-Windows needs, will I
need to do this?  There is nothing in the manual about Windows, just DOS...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Edward Hooper
--

"Where connectors come from!"

MS-Windows 3.x running on ODT 2.0/3.0

Post by Edward Hooper » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

: ... so forget about Windows. There are PD programs including a Rolodex
: and calendar manager for ODT, and if you upgrade the OS you can get
: some extras too.

Where can I find these pd programs for ODT?

I am upgrading the OD, from ODT 2.0 to ODT 3.0...  What extras do you mean?

Edward Hooper
--

"Where connectors come from!"

Post by Chris Gayl » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

| I guess the subject says it all, except: how do I do this?  I have a few X
| terminals on my net (NCD 17c's), and my boss would like the users to have
| applications that may not exist for X.  Basic office management stuff like
| rolodex, scratch pad, etc.

Well, that stuff exists for X ...

| Also, how much disk space, above and beyond what MS-Windows needs, will I
| need to do this?  There is nothing in the manual about Windows, just DOS...

... so forget about Windows. There are PD programs including a Rolodex
and calendar manager for ODT, and if you upgrade the OS you can get
some extras too.

Chris

Post by Chris Gayl » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

| : ... so forget about Windows. There are PD programs including a Rolodex
| : and calendar manager for ODT, and if you upgrade the OS you can get
| : some extras too.
|
| Where can I find these pd programs for ODT?

"Don't know about calentools, but you may want to take a look at plan-1.4.1,
 which compiles easily under SCO ODT 3.0. Quite impressive.
     plan, developed by Thomas Driemeyer, is a Motif-based calendar and
     group scheduler application.
     The latest version, is available for ftp at:
     ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/unix/graphics/plan
"

I haven't tried it myself. Also there are several versions of rolodex
under comp.sources.X - xrolo, mrolo, prolo. I've never compiled them
under SCO .. it might be compiled somewhere on one of the popular
SCO ftp sites.

There are commercial programs such as Synchronize - some like it, some
don't. I wasn't impressed - but I didn't give it much time either.

| I am upgrading the OD, from ODT 2.0 to ODT 3.0...  What extras do you mean?

If you upgrade to OSE 5.0 I understand there are some additional
desktop accessories - perhaps someone who has it can address this ..
and it does support WABI if you're really stuck on some Windows app.
IOW you have more options if you upgrade to the latest version.

I'm floundering around a bit here because there really isn't much there
for the SCO desktop - which is why I use desktops on different UNIX hosts
such as Solaris. I was trying to say that using MS Windows in most cases
should be a last resort - after you've exhausted all X window possibilities
and buying an additional server with a better desktop is not an option.

Chris

Post by Keith Obo » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|> I guess the subject says it all, except: how do I do this?  I have a few X
|> terminals on my net (NCD 17c's), and my boss would like the users to have
|> applications that may not exist for X.  Basic office management stuff like
|> rolodex, scratch pad, etc.
|>
|> Also, how much disk space, above and beyond what MS-Windows needs, will I
|> need to do this?  There is nothing in the manual about Windows, just DOS...
|>
|> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Others may correct me, but I'm not sure you can. You CAN run Windows 3.1 under
Merge on the console, either under X (max 800x600) or a character session
(standard vga resolution), and you CAN run Merge itself and haev it understand
$DISPLAY to point it to another X server. But Windows on the other X server I
don't think is possible. I hope someone can contradict me!

As for disk space: exactly what the windows installation uses. To install
Windows you need to run Merge's winsetup command, which (if you look) just
modifies the DOS session a bit. Then say a: setup to the merge session. Hints:
to run under X you need the virtual display and mouse drivers: tell Windows
Setup the drivers are in c:\usr\lib\merge\windows. And give the machine lots of
memory: this is a 286-emulator and the OS sees the Windows session as a single
process of size = the physical memory of the "virtual" Windows machine, which
of course must be enough to run whatever as it has no 386-mode virtual memory.
Results when SCO swaps your Windows session out are non-destructive but pretty
slow--.

Post by Richard Petkiewi » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>|> I guess the subject says it all, except: how do I do this?  I have a few X
>|> terminals on my net (NCD 17c's), and my boss would like the users to have
>|> applications that may not exist for X.  Basic office management stuff like
>|> rolodex, scratch pad, etc.

>Others may correct me, but I'm not sure you can. You CAN run Windows 3.1 under
>Merge on the console, either under X (max 800x600) or a character session
>(standard vga resolution), and you CAN run Merge itself and haev it understand
>$DISPLAY to point it to another X server. But Windows on the other X server I
>don't think is possible. I hope someone can contradict me!

Windows under Merge works remotely to other X servers and X terminals
as well as locally.
-----

Locus Computing Corporation     UUCP:          ...!uunet!lcc!rick

Inglewood, CA  90301            Phone:         (310) 337-5246

MS-Windows 3.x running on ODT 2.0/3.0

Post by Mark Dav » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

In comp.unix.sco.misc you write:

>>Others may correct me, but I'm not sure you can. You CAN run Windows 3.1 under
>>Merge on the console, either under X (max 800x600) or a character session
>>(standard vga resolution), and you CAN run Merge itself and haev it understand
>>$DISPLAY to point it to another X server. But Windows on the other X server I
>>don't think is possible. I hope someone can contradict me!
>Windows under Merge works remotely to other X servers and X terminals

But is going to be an aweful idea in multi-user environments, since the
MS-Windows window will be nothing more than a pixmap with TONS of raster
data being sent from Merge to the Xterminals.  This will reduce performance,
and clog the network.  Although, it is still an option.  The better way (but
far more complex way) to approach the problem is with tools which convert
MS-Windows primatives to Xwindow primatives, like WABI or Win-DD.

  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

Post by Chris Gayl » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

| >Others may correct me, but I'm not sure you can. You CAN run Windows 3.1 under
| >Merge on the console, either under X (max 800x600) or a character session
                                            ^^^^^^^
Don't know what the real max is, but it runs at 1024x768 when my X terminal
is running at 1280x1024.

Chris

1. DOSEMU running MS Windows 3.0 ?

Hi, I've read somewhere that DOSEMU once ran MS Windows 3.0 in protected mode,
is that true? If so, great. I got some apps that are happy with MSWin 3.0 and
don't need 3.1 necessarily...

I read the DOSEMU HOWTO and it does not list Windows 3.0 as either supported
or unsupported.

Thank's
-Andrej

Oh, email preferred ...

2. openbsd or netbsd for sun classic

3. X windows vs MS-windows 3.1 (MS wins)

4. ppp-2.2.0e and Linux 1.3.80 (it works)

5. ODT 3.0 Device Drivers with ODT 5.0?

6. Dial in connects How?

7. Printing via Samba running on SCO 3.0 ODT Server Enterprise

8. Benchmarks? (speeds vs BSD/Sparcs)

9. MS-Word for windows under SCO ODT (Problem)

10. Windows in SCO ODT 3.0 and SCO 5

11. 800x600 resolution in Windows on ODT 3.0

12. Installing Windows & DOS Under SCO ODT 3.0

13. X-window slower then MS-Windows