I am changing M/B and scsi controller from VLB to PCI

I am changing M/B and scsi controller from VLB to PCI

Post by nobod » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 When I reboot the system with the new hardware, at the boot prompt I will
type:

         Boot: disable arad link

 where arad is the driver for the VL Adaptec2840 scsi controller

         Then it will ask me to name the package to link to the system in
which I type alad(the name of the PCI Adaptec 2940 driver).
         Then, when in to the system, I use custom to actially install the
package to the system and relink the kernel,  then I reboot(using "disable
arad") and the system should boot with my new alad driver then I use custom
again to remove the old VL arad driver and reboot.

         Is this correct and is there anything else I should be doing so that
SCO knows that the hard drive and tape backup is on the new adapter?

 thanx
 Dan.

1. Am I wasting my time gettting a VLB SCSI-2 controller?

Hi:

I am about to get a 1 gig SCSI disk, and since I have no SCSI devices
at the moment, I need a controller too.  I am thinking BUSLOGIC 445C,
since that seems to keep Linux happy.  I have one VLB slot left, and
at least three ISA slots free.  I have heard that the controller can't
send more bits down the bus than can be sent on the ISA anyway, so a
VLB may be a waste.  What is the consensus?  I don't have any plans
for the free VLB if not for the controller, but since I only have one
free and several ISA, why waste it.  I am interested in your opinions
(facts would be even better!).

MJG

These  neural nuggets are mine, all mine.  I wouldn't let my company take
credit for them even if they _wanted_ to.

2. Bill Gates Is A Baby-Eater

3. drivers for Adaptec SCSI VLB and PCI controllers

4. Seyon won't or can't open /dev/modem. Why?

5. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

6. ipfwadm logging rules don't log!

7. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card

8. JOB AVAILABLE

9. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

10. Universal PCI SCSI-III Controller for Wide & Narrow SCSI

11. I am trying to find a driver for a Tekram 690CD PCI IDE caching controller....

12. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive

13. SCSI ID changed after adding SCSI Controller