Register of SCO OSR 5

Post by Deng Min » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
We've just bought one SCO package of Open Server 5. After we installed
it, the system asked us to register it with the license number and
system id. The problem is we don't know if the system id has some
relation to the machine hardware. Because the machine we installed is
just a test machine. We will shift to an online machine after we have
run and tested our applications.
It will be very preciate if someone give me a hint.

Best Regards,
Deng Ming

Register of SCO OSR 5

Post by Stephen M. Du » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

$We've just bought one SCO package of Open Server 5. After we installed
$it, the system asked us to register it with the license number and
$system id. The problem is we don't know if the system id has some
$relation to the machine hardware. Because the machine we installed is
$just a test machine. We will shift to an online machine after we have
$run and tested our applications.

   The system ID is created somehow when you install the system.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think technically it has something to do
with the point at which the root filesystem is created - I'm sure
someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

   If you do register your present system, you shouldn't get a hassle
from SCO when you have to re-register it; they do expect that once
in a while someone will have to re-register a system.  For example,
if your system crashes and you have to recreate your filesystems
from your emergency diskettes and restore your backup, that's a
perfectly legitimate activity, and I'm told it will change your system
ID and require a re-registration.  Ditto for an upgrade which moves
your system from one machine to another.

   But if you can't be bothered registering it, nothing will blow up.
The notices will become more frequent after a while, but the system
will continue to work indefinitely.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. SCO Unixware vs. SCO OSR?

Greetings.

We are an Oracle VAR that runs Oracle 7.3.3 on SCO OSR 5.0.4.  We have
heard rumors that Unixware "works better" than SCO OSR.

Which operating system to you recommend--Unixware or OSR?  Why?  Do you
run Oracle?

Thanks.
Jeff
--
Jeffery C. Cann
Senior Software Engineer

2. ENV and non-login process

3. PPP from Win95 to SCO OSR 5

4. Advice needed for linux Installation

5. Sco Professional(2.0.1) and OSR 5.0

6. solaris cert

7. SCO OSR 5.0.2 - X11 License Manager problem (Part 2)

8. wanted: list of unix virtual hosting optioins for reseller

9. Filesystem for SCO OSR and RedHat Linux

10. mv SCO osr /dev/null

11. Xfree86 on SCO OSR 5.0.2

12. SCO OSR 5.0.2 - "Staircase" effect problem in remote laser printing

13. How stable is SCO.OSR 5