OpenServer 5 Adaptec AHA-1522A support?

Post by Robert Matte » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I received my free OpenServer package and am in the process of
upgrading a machine to run it on.

The other night I tried to access the online SCO hardware compatibility
handbook but the server was down or something.  So, based on the spec
sheet (attached below) provided by Computer Discount Warehouse (which
says it supports SCO UNIX V3.2.4 AND NEWER), I ordered this card.

Tonight when I got through to the SCO hardware compatibility web page, I
noticed that the AHA-1522A is keyed as "O" (Other) for bus type and
except for Unixware, there are dashes across the compatibility row for
the other SCO products.

Anyway, can anyone reconcile these contradictions?  It is an ISA bus
card (SCO says it is not) and CDW says it is compatible with SCO UNIX
but SCO (apparently) says it is not!

I am probably just going to use this to attach an NEC 4X SCSI drive and
a SyQuest EZ-135 drive.  I plan on using an IDE hard drive partitioned
for Win95, SCO, and maybe Linux with System Commander and a Boca IDE
HD/FD controller.

Thanks,

-Bob

---begin---

ADAPTEC FAST SCSI 16BIT W/FLOPPY
AHA-1522A SINGLE BOOTABLE SCSI2 16BIT WITH FLOPPY SUPPORT

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
=>ISA SLOT; THIS IS A 16 BIT HOST ADAPTER

FEATURES:
=>16 BIT PROGRAMMED I/O TRANSFERS
=>ON BOARD FLOPPY SUPPORT (NO 2.88 SUPPORT)
=>BOOTABLE CONTROLLER
=>SUPPORTS MANY SCSI DEVICES:
-HARD DISKS WITH ON BOARD BIOS
-OTHER SCSI DEVICES WITH EZ-SCSI AND/OR 3RD PARTY ASPI SOFTWARE
(AVAILABLE SEPARATELY)
=>SCSI2 HOST ADAPTER SUPPORTING SCSI1, SCSI2, AND FAST SCSI2 DEVICES
SIMULTANEOUSLY
=>TRANSFER RATES: UP TO 3 MBYTES/SEC SUSTAINED RATE ON THE ISA BUS,10
MBYTES/SEC SYNCHRONOUS BURST ON THE SCSI BUS, 2 MBYTES/SEC SYNCHRONOUS
BURST ON THE SCSI BUS
=>SUPPORTS UP TO 7 SCSI DEVICES
=>EMBEDDED DRIVER SUPPORT AVAILABLE IN
-NETWARE 386 V3.12, V4.0X
-WINDOWS NT
-SCO UNIX V3.2.4 AND NEWER
-IBM OS/2 V2.0 AND NEWER
-MS OS/2 V1.30.1
-BANYAN VINES
=>OTHER DRIVERS/UTILITIES ON THE ADAPTEC BBS (408-945-7727, 14400 BAUD)

OPTIONS AND ACCESSORIES:
50 PIN CENTRONICS TO 50 PIN CENTRONICS
50 PIN CENTRONICS TO 50 PIN HIGH DENSITY
5 POSITION CABLE

NOTE : THE 1522A SUPPORTS DRIVES OVER1 GB IN CAPACITY.  IF A CUSTOMER
SEEMS TO HAVE A PROBLEM, ADAPTEC CAN SEND THEM AN UPDATED BIOS TO
CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

---end---

Post by Toby L. Kra » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>...IS 1522A SUPPORTED...

Yes,

Original OS5 kernel supports this board with the spad driver.  You may
need a bootstring if the board is at a non-default address/irq.
The latest driver for this family of boards is the smad driver which
was in AHS 5.1 I believe.

Toby L. Kraft, Kraft Enterprises, Inc., Evansville. IN USA

Post by Robert Matte » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >...IS 1522A SUPPORTED...

> Yes,

> Original OS5 kernel supports this board with the spad driver.  You may
> need a bootstring if the board is at a non-default address/irq.
> The latest driver for this family of boards is the smad driver which
> was in AHS 5.1 I believe.

Tom Parsons said in a private e-mail that the 1522 series host adapters
have been supported (for over 1 gig drives) since 3.2v4.0, circa 1991-2
and that in AHS 5-2, the spad driver was replaced by the smad driver to
add support for the newer Adaptec chip set.  So, I should be ok.  I
haven't received the card yet.  I am just going to use it for my CD-ROM
drive and a SyQuest EZ-135.  I will be using the onboard IDE controller
and a Maxtor 2.1 Gb drive for everything else.

Some of the terminology is still Klingon to me but I think I will
understand once all my components arrive and I get my machine put
together.  I assume "AHS" means some kind of update service pack or
revision.  All I know is that on my Free SCO floppies the release
numbers are 5.2.0 for the boot-time loadable drivers and 5.0.2 for the
boot disk.

Quote:> Toby L. Kraft, Kraft Enterprises, Inc., Evansville. IN USA                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, a fellow Hoosier!  I live up north in Hammond.  I love southern
Indiana and visit friends in the Bloomington area often.  Been up to
gamble on the shiny new boats yet?

-Bob
--
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rjmatter

OpenServer 5 Adaptec AHA-1522A support?

Post by Bjorn Ihla » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I do belive the adapter got the same chipset as 1505 and 1515 and they work
with the "spad" driver without any additional packages.

1. Adaptec AHA-1522A and AHA-2940 SCSI adapters well supported?

Please excuse my ignorance, but the following SCSI adapters,
ISA:    Adaptec 1522A,
PCI:    Adaptec 2940,
are these well supported in latest and actual releases of Linux?

-------------------\

ME Technology      |              Fax ++49 +6741 7126
SCSI  *  Backup    \-----------   Databases  *  Tools
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

2. Linux Switch Commercials

3. Adaptec AHA-1522A problems

4. Sparcprinter model QA-6

5. Adaptec AHA-1522A - ARRRRGHH

6. Problems configuring ATI-Busmouse & SK-G16 Ethernet NIC

7. Need help with Adaptec AHA-1522A

8. Disk space used/free

9. Slackware version 3.1.0 and Adaptec AHA-1522A

10. HELP >>> Adaptec AHA-1522A and Red Hat Linux 5.0

11. Adaptec AHA-1522A - ARGGGHH!!!!

12. Adaptec AHA 1522A

13. AHA-1522A and SCSI hangs