OSR5.0.0 TImeout on fixed disk

Post by andy » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm installing OpenServer 5.0.0 on approx 1 gb of a EIDE 4.2 gb hard-drive.
The remaining containing windows.

I'm using the following oss451b btld and the boot-string :

biosgeom restart ahslink=wd disable=dptr

Everything works fine, including a thorough, destructive scan of unix
partition, however, having created the filesystem table, the system goes
off to make the filesytem, the hard-drive light goes on, and after a delay
of a minute or so, I'm presented with the following :

warning : wd0 : Timeout on fixed disk dev 1/42

The continues to occur until eventually i'm provided with a reboot message.

I've hunted for a solution everywhere, but no luck so far, I believe the
disk is LBA enabled though, I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Thanks in advance

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I'm installing OpenServer 5.0.0 on approx 1 gb of a EIDE 4.2 gb hard-drive.
> The remaining containing windows.

> I'm using the following oss451b btld and the boot-string :

> biosgeom restart ahslink=wd disable=dptr

> Everything works fine, including a thorough, destructive scan of unix
> partition, however, having created the filesystem table, the system goes
> off to make the filesytem, the hard-drive light goes on, and after a delay
> of a minute or so, I'm presented with the following :

> warning : wd0 : Timeout on fixed disk dev 1/42

> The continues to occur until eventually i'm provided with a reboot message.

> I've hunted for a solution everywhere, but no luck so far, I believe the
> disk is LBA enabled though, I'm not sure if that's relevant.

oss451b contains fixes both for the "wd" driver and for `badtrk` (the
bad track scanning program).  Its cover letter insists that you *must
not* allow the install to scan for bad tracks, because the new version
of `badtrk` isn't available until later, when you manually install
oss451b.  Using it as a BTLD only loads the updated driver.

I don't know what actual problem is avoided by following the cover
letter's advice, but the above problem description sounds like a
candidate...

So try again, and turn off the bad track scanning option.  (This also
makes the install run a lot more quickly...)

As I said before, you could avoid a lot of anguish by using OpenServer
5.0.4.

Quote:>Bela<