Considering Switching to SCO from Linux

Post by Grey Clo » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am consider getting the $20 cd of SCO and swapping over from Linux.
The primary reason, is that it suppose to be a better Unix system with
better security. From a SCO system admin who is a respected friend

I do have some questions that I would like information on.

First my system is:
AMD 133 Pentium. 16 meg ram (No money to upgrade), 500meg Hard-disk.

I run from console mostly, only use Netscape to browse occasional Web page,
relying on lynx for bulk web page work.

I also run majordomo, emacs editing, vi, sendmail aliasing, *X irc client.
pine, procmail, Telnet, umsdos (For running the draw), pppd, zgv, slrn.

What problems should I expect, other then filemap. Also is SCO able to support
my SB16 Sound Card, APATA CD-Rom? I am assuming yes on the CD-Rom.

I currently run a crontab to poll my ISP for email while not at keyboard. I am
assuming that I can set it up the same. With chat and /etc/ppp/foo

I will need to transfer about 5 users account, Will SCO support the /home/user
set up? So I can just tar the home and untar on Sco?

--
Grey Cloak

  .###########.   Change spamtrap to grycloak, to email me.
 ##'___   ___`##   Wizard.FAQ v2.0 send blank Email to:

 ### ) | | ( ###    For other documents served

   #  ~!!!~  #

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/~grycloak/dreams/dream.htm

Post by Mark A. Davi » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am consider getting the $20 cd of SCO and swapping over from Linux.
> The primary reason, is that it suppose to be a better Unix system with
> better security. From a SCO system admin who is a respected friend

If your friend has SCO Unix installed, then after you register on the
web for a free home, non-commercial license, you can borrow his disk and
install the OS without paying the $20 s/h.

Quote:> I do have some questions that I would like information on.

> First my system is:
> AMD 133 Pentium. 16 meg ram (No money to upgrade),

16 MB is weak.... even for linux.  You might want 32MB if you plan on
running X.  Memory is fairly cheap now.  16MB should cost less than
$140.

Quote:> I currently run a crontab to poll my ISP for email while not at keyboard. I am
> assuming that I can set it up the same.

Should work fine

Quote:> With chat and /etc/ppp/foo

> I will need to transfer about 5 users account, Will SCO support the /home/user
> set up? So I can just tar the home and untar on Sco?

That should work also.

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |

|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy." |

Post by Okeefe » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

<<16MB should cost less than $140.>>

About $50 if you can use non-parity SIMMS.

1. Considering switching to Linux

I consider switching from DOS to Linux. I mainly use my computer for
TeX, C programming and a few DOS games. What, if any, advantages will
I see?

Will TeX and gcc run faster? Slower?

Will my DOS games still work under dosemu?

My computer has an Intel 486/DX2 66 and 8 MB of RAM.

What about X? Will it run fast enough to be usable? Will it run faster
than Windows 3.11?

2. HELP xvgr doesn`t work !!!!!

3. considering a switch from linux to openbsd for ISP

4. Linux very slow for me

5. Considering switch to OpenBSD

6. tape drives

7. Strange KDE problems, considering switching KDE for desktop from Win2k

8. Connecting with c108 Terminalprog. under PCSIM to AIX

9. Can you give me any reasons to consider switching OS ?

10. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

11. Linux Network down work with 1000 MBit Switch but with old 100 MBit Switch

12. routers vs switches: how do I convince my Linux box that its a switch?

13. Answer to, "Should I use Linux?" (for those considering Linux)