Problems using IP port 10061? HELP!

Post by James F. Goul » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am having problems when using port number 10061.  I have a client process
and a server process that uses port number 10061, but the client is
connecting to something when the server is not running.  If the server is
NOT running, and I start the client, the client thinks its connected to
something.  I did a netstat and I see a couple entries dealing with port
10061 when the server is not running.  If I change the port (i.e. 9101)
everything works as planned.  Another strange thing is that this only
happens in the loopback.  If I have the server running on port 10061 on a
remote machine, the client, server works just fine.  There is only a
problem when the client and server are running on the same machine.  Does
anyone now what service is using port number 10061 that does not have an
entry in /etc/services or is there something wrong with using port number
10061?

JG

This message was created and sent using the *dog Mail System

Post by Roberto Zi » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I am having problems when using port number 10061.  I have a client process
>and a server process that uses port number 10061, but the client is
>connecting to something when the server is not running.  If the server is
>NOT running, and I start the client, the client thinks its connected to
>something.  I did a netstat and I see a couple entries dealing with port
>10061 when the server is not running.  If I change the port (i.e. 9101)
>everything works as planned.  Another strange thing is that this only
>happens in the loopback.  If I have the server running on port 10061 on a
>remote machine, the client, server works just fine.  There is only a
>problem when the client and server are running on the same machine.  Does
>anyone now what service is using port number 10061 that does not have an
>entry in /etc/services or is there something wrong with using port number
>10061?

>JG

Hi !

Only a suggestion; grab lsof from ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof
and, once installed and compiled, issue the following command:

You'll get a list similar to the following, indicating the pathname of
the program which is holding the connection on.

COMMAND     PID     USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE   SIZE/OFF      INODE NAME
ns-httpd  19041   nouser    9u  inet 0xf08a3c00          0        TCP drake:www-
http

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto
--
P.S. : please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address
       if you want to reply.

Strhold Sistemi EDP                           Reggio Emilia      ITALY

"Has anybody seen an aircraft carrier around ?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)