Broken symbolic link to /tmp in SCO OpenServer v5.0.0

Broken symbolic link to /tmp in SCO OpenServer v5.0.0

Post by Ed Belche » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

In OpenServer v5.0.0, as root, I have created a link with
the following command:
   ln -s /u/qs /tmp/qs
Sometimes this link gets broken; however, I don't know the
circumstances.  I have powered down the machine, rebooted, and
watched the system for days without determining the cause of
the break in the link.
Any suggestions?

Ed Belcher

Post by Bela Lubki » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> In OpenServer v5.0.0, as root, I have created a link with
> the following command:
>    ln -s /u/qs /tmp/qs
> Sometimes this link gets broken; however, I don't know the
> circumstances.  I have powered down the machine, rebooted, and
> watched the system for days without determining the cause of
> the break in the link.

cleantmp(ADM) does it.

Edit /usr/lib/cleantmp.  Change this line:

       /bin/find $i ! -type p ! -type d -atime +$days -exec /bin/rm -f {} \;

to:

       /bin/find $i -type f -atime +$days -exec /bin/rm -f {} \;

(Actually, I completely disable cleantmp on my systems; I hand-prune
/tmp and /usr/tmp when I feel the need, which isn't often.  But then I
don't have users.)

Quote:>Bela<

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Ed Belcher writes:
> In OpenServer v5.0.0, as root, I have created a link with
> the following command:
>    ln -s /u/qs /tmp/qs
> Sometimes this link gets broken; however, I don't know the
> circumstances.  I have powered down the machine, rebooted, and
> watched the system for days without determining the cause of
> the break in the link.
> Any suggestions?

Does it tend to break on Sundays?

--

1. FS: SCO Unix OpenServer Enterprise v5.0.0 5 user

SCO Unix OpenServer Enterprise v5.0.0   5 user boxed with manuals,
media and license certificate.

Retails for approx $1200; yours for $600 OBO

If interested email me and we can arrange payment and shipment.

Prefer to deal in COD cash or money order transactions.  Prepay also
OK.

You won't find any cheaper than this.  I have lots of SCO products
available.  If you need a specific item let me know.

Nathan Shlanta

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy ;*)

2. Problem with tar (?)

3. SCO Open Server v5.0.0 Help - Missing boot disks.

4. xfs in RH6.0 how to???

5. Too many symbolic links, Symbolic link loop

6. What's up with Zsh

7. Value question: SCO Open Server V5.0.0 5 User

8. *Not getting right partition size

9. MacBSD symbolic links in /tmp

10. Re-Install SCO OpenServer Rel3.2v5.0.0 on new system - serial mouse problem - Help Please

11. SCO OpenServer 3.2v5.0.0/3.2v5.0.2 - rdist - Parses filenames for syntax !!!

12. SCO OpenServer v5 Keyboard hangs

13. SCO V5 (OpenServer) and PC Server 310 PCI/ISA