Dual boot OSR5.0.4 & NT 4.0

Post by Brent Boli » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Can NT 4.0 & SCO 5.0.4 be setup as dual boot?.

I have been running win95 SCO 4.2/5.2/5.4 with no problem.

I have tried installing unix first, and NT first with no luck.

Currently using bootos options -

:bootos nt

The system starts to boot the NT loader, but I then get the big bad blue
screen saying it can't access the drive.

Does it matter with either FAT32, or NTFS?.  I would like to use NTFS.

Using A Quantum ultra scsi wide drive, and embedded adaptec 7880 chipset
adapter.  I have limited the drive partiions to:

unix root 800mb
NT NTFS   400mb

If I don't limit the drive partions I get an error message from the bios
"CYL OVERFL".  I would expect this.

Questions:

1. Can this be done?
2. What o/s should be loaded first?
3. Can I run either FAT, or NTFS?

Any Ideas

Cheers...

Dual boot OSR5.0.4 & NT 4.0

Post by sigm » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Can NT 4.0 & SCO 5.0.4 be setup as dual boot?.

>I have been running win95 SCO 4.2/5.2/5.4 with no problem.

>I have tried installing unix first, and NT first with no luck.

>Currently using bootos options -

>:bootos nt

>The system starts to boot the NT loader, but I then get the big bad blue
>screen saying it can't access the drive.

>Does it matter with either FAT32, or NTFS?.  I would like to use NTFS.

>Using A Quantum ultra scsi wide drive, and embedded adaptec 7880 chipset
>adapter.  I have limited the drive partiions to:

>unix root 800mb
>NT NTFS   400mb

>If I don't limit the drive partions I get an error message from the bios
>"CYL OVERFL".  I would expect this.

>Questions:

>1. Can this be done?
>2. What o/s should be loaded first?
>3. Can I run either FAT, or NTFS?

>Any Ideas

>Cheers...

Had the problem myself,

Had NT installed, then installed SCO....
result: SCO works ok, NT crashes with blue screen of death

what i did:
make the partition which contains NT and Win95 active.
then boot again and try fdisk /mbr

normally the loader from NT is removed....
NOT .....

make SCO partition active again.....
try

Boot: dos

you get the loader ???suprised...
and select NT ...... no screen off death anymore ...

cheers to you

Jeroen

Dual boot OSR5.0.4 & NT 4.0

Post by Scott McKa » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>unix root 800mb
>>NT NTFS   400mb

>>If I don't limit the drive partions I get an error message from the bios
>>"CYL OVERFL".  I would expect this.

>>Questions:

>>1. Can this be done?
>>2. What o/s should be loaded first?
>>3. Can I run either FAT, or NTFS?
>Had the problem myself,

>Had NT installed, then installed SCO....
>result: SCO works ok, NT crashes with blue screen of death

>what i did:
>make the partition which contains NT and Win95 active.
>then boot again and try fdisk /mbr

>normally the loader from NT is removed....
>NOT .....

>make SCO partition active again.....
>try

>Boot: dos

>you get the loader ???suprised...
>and select NT ...... no screen off death anymore ...

I have alway thought there was some type of rule about primary boot
partitions being configured <1024 cylinders.  I've always configured my
system to use 512 and 512 for either NT/Win 95 and UNIX.  Can you tell I
play with my system alot.

Scott.

Dual boot OSR5.0.4 & NT 4.0

Post by Brent Boli » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >Can NT 4.0 & SCO 5.0.4 be setup as dual boot?.

> >I have been running win95 SCO 4.2/5.2/5.4 with no problem.

> >I have tried installing unix first, and NT first with no luck.

> >Currently using bootos options -

> >:bootos nt

> >The system starts to boot the NT loader, but I then get the big bad blue
> >screen saying it can't access the drive.

> >Does it matter with either FAT32, or NTFS?.  I would like to use NTFS.

> >Using A Quantum ultra scsi wide drive, and embedded adaptec 7880 chipset
> >adapter.  I have limited the drive partiions to:

> >unix root 800mb
> >NT NTFS   400mb

> >If I don't limit the drive partions I get an error message from the bios
> >"CYL OVERFL".  I would expect this.

> >Questions:

> >1. Can this be done?
> >2. What o/s should be loaded first?
> >3. Can I run either FAT, or NTFS?

> >Any Ideas

> >Cheers...

> Had the problem myself,

> Had NT installed, then installed SCO....
> result: SCO works ok, NT crashes with blue screen of death

> what i did:
> make the partition which contains NT and Win95 active.
> then boot again and try fdisk /mbr

> normally the loader from NT is removed....
> NOT .....

> make SCO partition active again.....
> try

> Boot: dos

> you get the loader ???suprised...
> and select NT ...... no screen off death anymore ...

> cheers to you

> Jeroen

This in fact was the fix!.  Don't know what fdisk /mbr does(clean boot
record?), but now it works.

Tku...

Dual boot OSR5.0.4 & NT 4.0

Post by Ben Creagh Brow » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi there, maybe my webpage about how to get 95, NT and SCO all running
together nicely would be of interest.
Or maybe not since you've fixed it already.

http://black.hole-in-the.net/ben/mycomp.html

Cheers, Ben.

Dual boot OSR5.0.4 & NT 4.0

Post by Zbigniew Szmigier » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi.
I propose instalation NT on the first disk and booting SCO OS from another
disk (from diskette)
    Zbigniew Szmigiero

1. Connecting OSR5.0.4 to WIN NT 4.0 using PPP

We have configured a manual outgoing PPP connection to connect to a WIN NT
4.0 workstation running the RAS service enabled to accept incoming calls.
We are using uucp to dial out. When the modem connection is established WIN
NT disconnect the line and report that the authentication has failed. We
monitored the line with a protocol analyzer and we noticed that after the
modem connection there is not traffic at all. SCO seems to wait and so WIN
NT. We have set PAP authentication. Any idea???

        Please, if possible, answer also by mail.

        Thanks in advance......

2. The kppp "missing ppp support" bug

3. OSR5.0.0 ==> OSR5.0.4 UIP Errors

4. diald arguments to script ?

5. Auto Boot fro OSR5.0.4

6. Best CDROM / sound card for Linux

7. OSR5.0.4 & Netscape 3.01gold preference

8. Dial up, network, Debian, eh.

9. Please help: Dual boot NT 4.0 & RedHat 5.0

10. NT Server 4.0 & SCO OPEN SERVER- Dual Boot

11. Missing OSR5 OS after dual boot w/ NT install

12. Dual booting DOS/NT & Installing Linux on PC running NT,

13. OSR5.0.4 PANIC