Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Joel A. Steven » Sun, 01 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello-
I am running SCO 4.2 on an IBM PC 330 server. I have
3 serial terminals already connected to a Digiboard that
is configured at COM2. I need to configure an external
modem to be used for call in on the 4th of the 4 ports
on this Digiboard. I know Digi provides an interface
to add this modem but I am not at the site and have
no docs in front of me. Can someone give a quick
summary of how to add this modem for call in?
TIA

Joel A. Stevens

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Mon, 02 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hello-
> I am running SCO 4.2 on an IBM PC 330 server. I have
> 3 serial terminals already connected to a Digiboard that
> is configured at COM2. I need to configure an external
> modem to be used for call in on the 4th of the 4 ports
> on this Digiboard. I know Digi provides an interface
> to add this modem but I am not at the site and have
> no docs in front of me. Can someone give a quick
> summary of how to add this modem for call in?

No different than adding a modem on any port:
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/modems.html

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Joel A. Steven » Mon, 02 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Tony-
I appreciate the comprehensive info regarding modem setup.
In fact, I followed what was in the white paper but have
ended up with a curious situation. From our HP Pavilion
PC running the latest version of ProComm, we do in
fact get a login prompt but none of our keystrokes that
are then sent to the SCO box are being recognized.
Its as if there is glass wall between ProComm and our
login prompt. I guess I would say whatever it is we do
type at the PC is just not being recognized as that same
keystroke at the SCO. We are enabled on /dev/tty2D
and disabled on /dev/tty2d for our modem setting.
The entries in /etc/inittab entry and the sio file are
set to respawn the /etc/getty process to give us our login.
Yet we don't have a valid handshake to the login process.
This is a 14,400 Practical Peripherals modem and we are
using the "m" setting from gettydefs. Any suggestions?
TIA

Joel A. Stevens

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Tony-
> I appreciate the comprehensive info regarding modem setup.
> In fact, I followed what was in the white paper but have
> ended up with a curious situation. From our HP Pavilion
> PC running the latest version of ProComm, we do in
> fact get a login prompt but none of our keystrokes that
> are then sent to the SCO box are being recognized.
> Its as if there is glass wall between ProComm and our
> login prompt. I guess I would say whatever it is we do
> type at the PC is just not being recognized as that same
> keystroke at the SCO. We are enabled on /dev/tty2D
> and disabled on /dev/tty2d for our modem setting.
> The entries in /etc/inittab entry and the sio file are
> set to respawn the /etc/getty process to give us our login.
> Yet we don't have a valid handshake to the login process.
> This is a 14,400 Practical Peripherals modem and we are
> using the "m" setting from gettydefs. Any suggestions?

Why on earth would you run it at "m"?

This is a 14.4 modem.  As
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/modems.html explained, you need to
set its DTE speed to match your computer, and that should be at
least 19.2k

And why are you running an old piece of junk like that PP modem
anyway?  Brand spanking new Multitech or US Robotic external
(don't ever buy internal!) modems are around $120.00 or less..
Practical Pripheral was never a good choice to start with and
keeping a 14.4 modem now is beyond incredible..

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Joel A. Steven » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:43:55

Tony-
I know what you are saying and basically, we simply wanted
to establish a good login, albeit at a low speed before we upgraded
to a better modem.
Modem speeds aside, I do want to note that currently we are
sitting with the straight through cable from the Digiboard
followed by a Null Modem cable hooked to the modem. Using
these two cables in series was the only way we were able to get
cu in SCO to respond such that we could set S0=2 on the modem.
I know it doesn't sound right and goes against Digi's documentation
but only with the Null Modem were we truly able to talk to the modem
in cu. Now that we are done with cu, we are about to take the
Null modem out of the string and run with the Digi supplied
straight through cable only. It would seem like that should be
enough to have SCO see our keystrokes properly at login. It
seems strange that even with the Null Modem, we still are able
to get the getty to spawn a login for us.
Thanks for your response..

> > Tony-
> > I appreciate the comprehensive info regarding modem setup.
> > In fact, I followed what was in the white paper but have
> > ended up with a curious situation. From our HP Pavilion
> > PC running the latest version of ProComm, we do in
> > fact get a login prompt but none of our keystrokes that
> > are then sent to the SCO box are being recognized.
> > Its as if there is glass wall between ProComm and our
> > login prompt. I guess I would say whatever it is we do
> > type at the PC is just not being recognized as that same
> > keystroke at the SCO. We are enabled on /dev/tty2D
> > and disabled on /dev/tty2d for our modem setting.
> > The entries in /etc/inittab entry and the sio file are
> > set to respawn the /etc/getty process to give us our login.
> > Yet we don't have a valid handshake to the login process.
> > This is a 14,400 Practical Peripherals modem and we are
> > using the "m" setting from gettydefs. Any suggestions?

> Why on earth would you run it at "m"?

> This is a 14.4 modem.  As
> http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/modems.html explained, you need to
> set its DTE speed to match your computer, and that should be at
> least 19.2k

> And why are you running an old piece of junk like that PP modem
> anyway?  Brand spanking new Multitech or US Robotic external
> (don't ever buy internal!) modems are around $120.00 or less..
> Practical Pripheral was never a good choice to start with and
> keeping a 14.4 modem now is beyond incredible..

> --

> SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
> job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

--

Joel A. Stevens

(281) 336-2525

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Scott Neugrosch » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Are you using ttyaxx or ttyAxx.  It's been a while since I used a
digiboard,
but IIRC, that's how they number them (to distinguish from standard
comports).
I believe ttyaxx is non-modem control and ttyAxx is modem control.

The second digiboard is tty[bB]xx, etc...

> Tony-
> I know what you are saying and basically, we simply wanted
> to establish a good login, albeit at a low speed before we upgraded
> to a better modem.
> Modem speeds aside, I do want to note that currently we are
> sitting with the straight through cable from the Digiboard
> followed by a Null Modem cable hooked to the modem. Using
> these two cables in series was the only way we were able to get
> cu in SCO to respond such that we could set S0=2 on the modem.
> I know it doesn't sound right and goes against Digi's documentation
> but only with the Null Modem were we truly able to talk to the modem
> in cu. Now that we are done with cu, we are about to take the
> Null modem out of the string and run with the Digi supplied
> straight through cable only. It would seem like that should be
> enough to have SCO see our keystrokes properly at login. It
> seems strange that even with the Null Modem, we still are able
> to get the getty to spawn a login for us.
> Thanks for your response..

> > > Tony-
> > > I appreciate the comprehensive info regarding modem setup.
> > > In fact, I followed what was in the white paper but have
> > > ended up with a curious situation. From our HP Pavilion
> > > PC running the latest version of ProComm, we do in
> > > fact get a login prompt but none of our keystrokes that
> > > are then sent to the SCO box are being recognized.
> > > Its as if there is glass wall between ProComm and our
> > > login prompt. I guess I would say whatever it is we do
> > > type at the PC is just not being recognized as that same
> > > keystroke at the SCO. We are enabled on /dev/tty2D
> > > and disabled on /dev/tty2d for our modem setting.
> > > The entries in /etc/inittab entry and the sio file are
> > > set to respawn the /etc/getty process to give us our login.
> > > Yet we don't have a valid handshake to the login process.
> > > This is a 14,400 Practical Peripherals modem and we are
> > > using the "m" setting from gettydefs. Any suggestions?

> > Why on earth would you run it at "m"?

> > This is a 14.4 modem.  As
> > http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/modems.html explained, you need to
> > set its DTE speed to match your computer, and that should be at
> > least 19.2k

> > And why are you running an old piece of junk like that PP modem
> > anyway?  Brand spanking new Multitech or US Robotic external
> > (don't ever buy internal!) modems are around $120.00 or less..
> > Practical Pripheral was never a good choice to start with and
> > keeping a 14.4 modem now is beyond incredible..

> > --

> > SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
> > job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

> --

> Joel A. Stevens

> (281) 336-2525

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Tony-
> I know what you are saying and basically, we simply wanted
> to establish a good login, albeit at a low speed before we upgraded
> to a better modem.

Cheap modems, especially old cheap modems, might not work at
all.  Why waste time on them?  I won't.  If you hired me to fix
this problem, I wouldn't do a darn thing until you had bought a
proper modem.  It's ridiculous to waste time with junk.

Quote:> Modem speeds aside, I do want to note that currently we are
> sitting with the straight through cable from the Digiboard
> followed by a Null Modem cable hooked to the modem. Using
> these two cables in series was the only way we were able to get
> cu in SCO to respond such that we could set S0=2 on the modem.

And that's NOT all you need to set.  Did you read
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/modems.html ?  You need to set the
DTE rate, and it's quite possible that you can't on that modem,
or if you can, the command is something weird and unknown.  Get a
good modem.

Quote:> I know it doesn't sound right and goes against Digi's documentation
> but only with the Null Modem were we truly able to talk to the modem
> in cu. Now that we are done with cu, we are about to take the
> Null modem out of the string and run with the Digi supplied
> straight through cable only. It would seem like that should be
> enough to have SCO see our keystrokes properly at login. It
> seems strange that even with the Null Modem, we still are able
> to get the getty to spawn a login for us.

Getty doesn't care about anything but opening the device.  If
that device is the modem control version, it can't do that until
the modem answers- which  is why you use the lower case for
direct cu- however, all this assumes that your wiring is correct,
and it sounds to me like it isn't.

If you have a DB25 style Digiboard, it's usually a DTE device ( I
think some of the old octopus type models might have been DCE but
I don't remember).  A DTE device talks to a modem through a
straight through cable.  Therefore, if that's what you have, and
you have TWO cables involved, one of which is known to be a null
modem cable, then you actually have TWO null modem cables, one of
which probably is not passing through all the pins needed.

If, on the other hand, you have RJ45 connections, then the proper
wiring is shown in the manual and (if I remember this correctly),
you are going to need the Alt-pin feature.  Again, if you had
what suppposedly was a straight through cable (in this case,
meaning that it prsented the DB25 end as DTE) then you definitely
could NOT have added a null modem cable and had this work.

Please go to Radio Shack or wherever and buy an led tester, read
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/serial.html and get your wiring
straightened out.  It absolutely drives me nuts when people start
adding null modem cables/adaptors blindly in hopes of fixing
something they don't understand.  The $10.00 tester ($6.00
everywhere but Radio Shack) will show you what you actually have
so you don't have to stumble around guessing.

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Modem speeds aside, I do want to note that currently we are
>sitting with the straight through cable from the Digiboard
>followed by a Null Modem cable hooked to the modem. Using
>these two cables in series was the only way we were able to get
>cu in SCO to respond such that we could set S0=2 on the modem.
>I know it doesn't sound right and goes against Digi's documentation
>but only with the Null Modem were we truly able to talk to the modem
>in cu. Now that we are done with cu, we are about to take the
>Null modem out of the string and run with the Digi supplied
>straight through cable only.

If it worked with a null-modem it will NOT work straight through.

You need to understand that a null-modem can come in many flavors
but at the minimum it will swap the transmit and receive signals.

Putting a straight cable in will connect receive to receive and
transmit to transmit.  That's like trying to communcate with
someone by pressing your ears together.

For communications transmit on one side need to be connected to
receive on the other.

--

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> >Modem speeds aside, I do want to note that currently we are
> >sitting with the straight through cable from the Digiboard
> >followed by a Null Modem cable hooked to the modem. Using
> You need to understand that a null-modem can come in many flavors
> but at the minimum it will swap the transmit and receive signals.

And that was the point I was trying to make before- his "null
modem" may be insufficient for actual use with a modem..

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:09:08

>> >Modem speeds aside, I do want to note that currently we are
>> >sitting with the straight through cable from the Digiboard
>> >followed by a Null Modem cable hooked to the modem. Using

>> You need to understand that a null-modem can come in many flavors
>> but at the minimum it will swap the transmit and receive signals.
>And that was the point I was trying to make before- his "null
>modem" may be insufficient for actual use with a modem..

Well the killer line was that he got cu to work with the null-modem
adaptor and then he was going to replace that null-modem adaptor
with the straight cable.
--

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Well the killer line was that he got cu to work with the null-modem
> adaptor and then he was going to replace that null-modem adaptor
> with the straight cable.

I think the best one I ever heard was the tech dweeb who told me
that he had "tried everything- even put a null modem at BOTH ends
of the connection" :-)

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Joel A. Steven » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Scott-
We are trying to get this working with tty2D and tty2d since
ttyA and a, B and b, and C and c are already in use by dumb
terminals hooked to the Digiboard. For enabling and disabling
ports we are following right out of the SCO manual which says
you should (for call in) disable tty2d and enable tty2D. As was
mentioned, we are getting a login prompt to appear, we just
can't get the SCO box to then recognize our keystrokes.
For the record, we are going to try to use just the Digi
supplied cable that comes with the Digiboard, no other
cables. We are assuming this is a straight through cable
and we should not need any other cables to enable
dial in. We will probably use a more up to date modem
All of this is going on hold till next week when I will
have more to report.
Thanks for your input.

--

Joel A. Stevens

(281) 336-2525

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Scott-
> We are trying to get this working with tty2D and tty2d since
> ttyA and a, B and b, and C and c are already in use by dumb
> terminals hooked to the Digiboard. For enabling and disabling
> ports we are following right out of the SCO manual which says
> you should (for call in) disable tty2d and enable tty2D. As was
> mentioned, we are getting a login prompt to appear, we just
> can't get the SCO box to then recognize our keystrokes.
> For the record, we are going to try to use just the Digi
> supplied cable that comes with the Digiboard, no other
> cables. We are assuming this is a straight through cable
> and we should not need any other cables to enable
> dial in. We will probably use a more up to date modem
> All of this is going on hold till next week when I will
> have more to report.

Oh for crying out loud!

YOU USED A DAMN NULL MODEM TO SET ATS0 !!!!

If that gave you access to the modem, you had a DCE cable, which
would work with a terminal, but not a modem.  You obviously
haven't learned a damn thing from what I and others have been
trying to explain to you.

Go ahead, keep "assuming".  Don't buy a $10.00 LED tester, by all
means don't read http://aplawrence.com/Unicart/serial.html and
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/modems.html - just keep fumbling
around adding connectors to cables and "assuming" your way to
confusion!

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

Adding a modem to Digiboard

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Oh for crying out loud!

What remarkable restraint :_)

Quote:>YOU USED A DAMN NULL MODEM TO SET ATS0 !!!!
>If that gave you access to the modem, you had a DCE cable, which
>would work with a terminal, but not a modem.  You obviously
>haven't learned a damn thing from what I and others have been
>trying to explain to you.

I keep seeing more and more clueless posts here right along the
lines of Joel's posts.  How did people like this get involved with
computers anyway.

He certainly has no head for logic.

I'd have not been as patient.

Bill

--

1. Help - I need to add Digiboard C/X cards but have no room!

Hi everyone,

I have an ALR Pentium 100 with six ISA slots (one shared with PCI).  I am
adding my sixth Digiboard C/X
card (ISA) soon, but will need an additional card after that.  Also,
Digiboard states that only six of these cards can be used on one machine.

Can I use more cards or will I have to network another machine somehow?

Please help!

John Schomp

2. Differential Fast/Wide SCSI board - Low Speed

3. Hi Everyone using a Digiboard Sync 570i together with a Cisco Digiboard sync570i and cisco

4. 405 Method Not Allowed

5. DIGIBOARD, DIGIBOARD, WHERE ARE YOUR DRIVERS ??

6. pppd died unexpectedly!!!

7. remote digiboards(cx/m), openserver 5.0.2 panic k trap when second cx is added

8. BootP... any docs/faqs/howtos?

9. DIGIBOARD 8em + Modems

10. need: dial-in modem config for 2.4 x86 & Digiboard Xem

11. digiboard portserver sco smp and modem control

12. Digiboard - Modem - No Password prompt

13. Problem with DigiBoard PC/8e and dial-in modems