Uname System Name vs Node Name are equal? [SCO 3.2v4.2]

Uname System Name vs Node Name are equal? [SCO 3.2v4.2]

Post by Kevin W. Re » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

After looking at the SOS database at www.sco.com, I don't understand
why SCO treats the System Name = Node Name.

It appears that you cannot have them different from each other.

Thus when software goes to report the version of OS it is running on,
you get:

System info: telesys 3.2

Which is the NODE name of my system, not the Operating System of my system.
It should be   SCO 3.2

Whats the point of having two ways of asking for the same thing from uname
uname -s  always equals  uname -n

Is there a way to have a System Name report differently than the
Node Name with uname??

Kevin W. Reed (KWR10)                   TeleSys Development Systems (TNET)

WEB: http://www.tnet.com                  MAILBOT.COM - TNET.COM - DIMENET

Post by David Clayt » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>After looking at the SOS database at www.sco.com, I don't understand
>why SCO treats the System Name = Node Name.

>It appears that you cannot have them different from each other.

>Thus when software goes to report the version of OS it is running on,
>you get:

>System info: telesys 3.2

>Which is the NODE name of my system, not the Operating System of my system.
>It should be   SCO 3.2

I've seen that problem, know bug in 3.2v4.x, fixed in 3.2v5.0.

Regards, David.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it is."

1. ? setting node name for uname -n

Im trying to get slip running with dip and when
i enter dip -t, I just get "(none): Host name lookup failure"

I think that gethostname in dip calls uname so this
is where it gets "none".  I have /etc/hosts entries.
How do I get uname to report the name of this machine.
Executing hostname xxxxx does not do it either.

Thanks for quick answer.

2. What dir to patch kernel from ?

3. m/c name and node name

4. optical mouse (SUN) at PC ?

5. changing system name (uname -S not valid)

6. XFree exit to text mode S3 problem : solution (summary)

7. system name (uname)

8. xprop usage (again)

9. uname -S does not change system name permanently

10. Node name of a SCO UNIX machine?

11. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

12. Which named ?...Solaris 2.5 in.named or Berkley named ?

13. named.boot vs named.conf