Q: DNS keeps trying 'invalid' address

Post by Simon Hobs » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

System is SCO Openserver 5.0.2, connected to private network with 3 routers
and two kilostream links, plus ISDN dial-up to internet with NAT.

I have what (to me at least) seems to be a strange problem. I recently
added internet access to our network, using the ISDN and NAT capabilities
of one of our routers. The only incoming connection allowed is for SMTP
mail. To allow for DNS to work properley, I have set up our internal DNS
with pointers to Demons name servers.

The problem is, the internet link started opening every 15 minutes, regular
as clockwork. Looking at the NAT entries in the router I found that the
cause was TCP packets from the openserver machine on port 53 (DNS)
addressed to 194.62.129.112. I have checked everything I can think of
(including dumping the DNS database with sigint) and cannot find any
reference to this address.

The only hint I do have is that a maintainer temporarily used this address
on one of the remote routers when setting up another link. However, this
address has been removed, all the routers have been restarted, the OS5
machine has been restarted - but the problem persists.

As a temporary measure, I configured the router to block these packets
(which seem to come in groups of nine) - and after a day or so they
stopped. But after re-booting the OS5 machine, they started again and then
stopped after a day or two.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause, or hints at where to look ?

TIA, Simon

1. Try to keep Unix Qs is Unix newsgroups (was: chroot a user's account)

No offense, but CHILL!  :-) :-)

The original poster was using as Unix clone, he wanted to know how to
solve a Unix problem, and therefore it IS a Unix question.  The fact
that it happens to be on a Linux system is irrelavant.  You encourage
duplication of effort between the Linux newsgroups and the generic
Unix ones and at the same time seek to isolate the Linux community
from the wider Unix community.  If we want Linux to become a standard,
we CANNOT hold the insular attitude that your post seems to suggest
you have....

2. REQUEST: a script to create a lot of accounts

3. 3c900, 3c59x on RH5.2 - trying to install @home - can't 'Ping' DNS

4. Iomega Ditto Max Parallel

5. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

6. ATI Radeon: Module installation

7. Where is 'nodename' & 'hostname' kept

8. How to check how much disk space is left?

9. about remove 'LF' but keep 'CR/LF'

10. What're '!'and'%' in email address

11. 3 Qs: sio0 overflows, "unknown class 'root'", identd

12. if 'cannot execute' then try 'cd'?

13. diald, chat log error 'Can't get terminal parameters: Invalid argument'