UNIX 5.0.4 & FAT32

Post by Michae » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Can these be married on same hard disk.  Seems after 4 installations with
win95 FAT32 partition(2gig)  Unix hangs at hz=100, i/o buff and freezes
there.
After reinstalling and using the entire disk for unix it is fine.  I wonder
if it is partition size issue (which 5.0.0 on another system w/ fat32 lives
very happily with (3 gig win95 1 gig unix). or should I go back to fat16.
Oh boy am I tired.  Going to try and install again with a small partition
(fat32) just for grins...I will probably have my own answer soon but would
love a reference from someone to interrupt this experiment.

"Never Get To Busy Making A Living
                                    That You Forget To Make A Life"

UNIX 5.0.4 & FAT32

Post by David Clayt » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Can these be married on same hard disk.  Seems after 4 installations with
>win95 FAT32 partition(2gig)  Unix hangs at hz=100, i/o buff and freezes
>there.
>After reinstalling and using the entire disk for unix it is fine.  I wonder
>if it is partition size issue (which 5.0.0 on another system w/ fat32 lives
>very happily with (3 gig win95 1 gig unix). or should I go back to fat16.
>Oh boy am I tired.  Going to try and install again with a small partition
>(fat32) just for grins...I will probably have my own answer soon but would
>love a reference from someone to interrupt this experiment.

I installed a Win95 FAT32 & OSR 5.0.4. on a Toshiba Laptop without
toooooo many problems.

The only thing is to boot Win 95 I have to use "bootos 4" to access the
partition directly, and OSR5 *CANNOT* doscp etc. to the Win partition.

All in all I'd use FAT16 next time......

Regards, David.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"Virtual Reality - Give it a rest, Actual Reality has me stressed enough as it is."