Making a boot floppy -- /unix too big

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

   Many of the SuperTar products come with recovery programs which
will do whatever they can to help here.  These are highly recommended,
both for backups and for emergency diskettes.

   One thing you can try is running strip against your kernel (if
you have strip ... I'm not sure if it's in the base package or
the dev sys).  You do NOT want your kernel stripped during normal
operation, as many useful commands like ps use the symbol table
in /unix (or whatever they think your kernel is) to allow them to
dig around in the kernel's data structures, but for an emergency
boot diskette a stripped kernel is way better than no kernel.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. Making a boot floppy -- /unix too big

   It's been a while since I messed with SCO.  I seem to recall earlier
   versions created a compact version of the kernel to fit on a floppy,
   but I'm not seeing it on Open Server 5.  When I ran mkdev fd it
   punted saying that unix was too big.  Am I remembering something that
   seemed like a good idea?  Or am I thinking of another OS?

   How should I go about creating a small enough unix file to fit on the
   boot floppy?

   Sorry if this is an FAQ, but I didn't see it in the file and if there
   was anything about it in the documentation, I missed it.

See OS Handbook P.73 paragraph 13. ".. you have two options for the
boot floppy disk ...". Maybe you check that again and save a generic
kernel.

BTW: didn't test it, my kernel's still small enough, but: comes time
come bytes.

Roman

--
Roman Fietze (Mail Code 5023)              Kodak AG Stuttgart/Germany

2. rz 1000 blues

3. making boot floppies from unix

4. AMD automounter and UFS

5. Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

6. Mailing to the masses

7. Making Boot floppy to boot in single

8. shared libs under HP-UX 10.20

9. making a boot/root disk- >libraries too big!!

10. boot directly with floppies into unix without boot mngr?

11. Making boot floppy with non-default kernel

12. making a boot/root floppy.....help.....

13. making freeBSD boot floppy