ASUS P2B-DS & SCO 5.0.5

Post by Steve Kaerche » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

Does anyone have information on making the onboard 7890 Adaptec secondary
with a Mylex DAC960 Raid controller as primary?

I have disabled the adaptec via CMOS as well as <CTRL-A> at boot time.  The
problem is that Unix sees the adaptec controller first and loads the 'blad'
driver as 'ha0', then proceeds to find the Mylex, loads the 'mdac' driver as
'ha0' too !!  Panic then sets in and all is hosed.

Thanks for any info...

Steve
======================

ASUS P2B-DS & SCO 5.0.5

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On 25 Oct 1998 17:08:08 GMT, "Steve Kaercher"

>Does anyone have information on making the onboard 7890 Adaptec secondary
>with a Mylex DAC960 Raid controller as primary?

>I have disabled the adaptec via CMOS as well as <CTRL-A> at boot time.  The
>problem is that Unix sees the adaptec controller first and loads the 'blad'
>driver as 'ha0', then proceeds to find the Mylex, loads the 'mdac' driver as
>'ha0' too !!  Panic then sets in and all is hosed.

I don't think that Unix "sees" an adapter that isn't there.  Does the
Adaptec copyright string appear on boot?  If so, it's not disabled in
CMOS.  It's also difficult to advise on how to "make the MDAC...
primary" when I have no clue how your system is currently configured or
what you've done to create a panic situation.

Try some boot: command line incantations such as:
        boot: defbootstr disable=blad
and see if it disables loading the blad BTLD (boot time loadable device
driver).  It should.

I have to do some guesswork as I can't tell if you are having problems
during an installation or problems running the system.  My *GUESS* is
that you somehow linked in both SCSI adapters and they both claim to be
hd0a.  Try booting with:
        boot: unix.safe
which should boot the original kernel with only what was there when you
installed the system.  Then, look in
        /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
for your current derrangement.  Also run:
        hwconfig -hc
and see if there are any conflicts.

Try again, this time supplying something about what you're working with
and how it's configured.

[ ]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list
--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)699-0483 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home

ASUS P2B-DS & SCO 5.0.5

Post by Steve Kaerche » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi Jeff and thanks for the reply.  This was getting the best of me, so I
took another crack at it.
This installation is a new (fresh) install.  No previous os loaded.   Hard
drives on the Mylex,  a DAT tape drive on the Adaptec. Here is what I have
found:

I was attempting to use the bootable CD for the installation (CD connected
to the Mylex, channel 0, id #5).  However, each time the error "fd(44)unix
Bad magic number" would appear after pressing enter at Boot:.  (Note that
'defbootstr' does not appear to work off of the CD).  So I tried the floppy
route with better success.

SCO osr 5.0.5 does indeed attempt to install the 'blad' driver even though
the adaptec is disabled in the ASUS CMOS (strange).  The installation was
* on the 'blad' init, so I changed the CMOS from 'disabled' to 'auto'
and set the 'Use AHA First' option to 'no',  this let the Mylex bios install
first on boot and then the adaptec bios.

Using the defaults at Boot:, the adaptec 'blad' driver loaded, then the
Mylex (mdac) driver attempted to load and panicked the system.  So I decided
to use the older 'mdac' drivers that came with the board using the boot
command:  'ahslink', then 'mdac' as the driver name and 'r'eplaced the
original driver when prompted.  The system booted just fine.  Both
controllers are setup as 'ha0' each with their own driver.

The system has been running for a couple of hours now without any errors.
So for now all is right with the world.

Steve
==================

>On 25 Oct 1998 17:08:08 GMT, "Steve Kaercher"

>>Does anyone have information on making the onboard 7890 Adaptec secondary
>>with a Mylex DAC960 Raid controller as primary?

>>I have disabled the adaptec via CMOS as well as <CTRL-A> at boot time.
The
>>problem is that Unix sees the adaptec controller first and loads the
'blad'
>>driver as 'ha0', then proceeds to find the Mylex, loads the 'mdac' driver
as
>>'ha0' too !!  Panic then sets in and all is hosed.

>I don't think that Unix "sees" an adapter that isn't there.  Does the
>Adaptec copyright string appear on boot?  If so, it's not disabled in
>CMOS.  It's also difficult to advise on how to "make the MDAC...
>primary" when I have no clue how your system is currently configured or
>what you've done to create a panic situation.

>Try some boot: command line incantations such as:
> boot: defbootstr disable=blad
>and see if it disables loading the blad BTLD (boot time loadable device
>driver).  It should.

ASUS P2B-DS & SCO 5.0.5

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On 26 Oct 1998 06:01:16 GMT, "Steve Kaercher"

>SCO osr 5.0.5 does indeed attempt to install the 'blad' driver even though
>the adaptec is disabled in the ASUS CMOS (strange).

Wierd.  I guess the motherboard isn't really disabling the SCSI adapters
or OSR5 is smarter than I've given it credit for being.

Quote:>Using the defaults at Boot:, the adaptec 'blad' driver loaded, then the
>Mylex (mdac) driver attempted to load and panicked the system.  So I decided
>to use the older 'mdac' drivers that came with the board using the boot
>command:  'ahslink', then 'mdac' as the driver name and 'r'eplaced the
>original driver when prompted.  The system booted just fine.

Ahem.  "ahslink" died with 3.2v5.0.0 or possibly 3.2v5.0.2.  The new
incantation is just "link".  See:
        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_getmanpage?link+HW+OS5+link
for details.

Do you have any version numbers on the Mylex MDAC drivers involved?
The Mylex version are at:
        ftp://ftp.mylex.com/pub/dac960/sco5_108.exe
which requires MSDOS to extract.

Quote:>Both
>controllers are setup as 'ha0' each with their own driver.

BOTH the adaptec and the Mylex SCSI adapters are called ha0?  Huh?

Quote:>The system has been running for a couple of hours now without any errors.
>So for now all is right with the world.

Well, ok and congrats, but methinks there are too many strange things
happening to feel safe.  That which one does not understand will
eventually bite.

--

Post by Steve Kaerche » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>On 26 Oct 1998 06:01:16 GMT, "Steve Kaercher"

>>SCO osr 5.0.5 does indeed attempt to install the 'blad' driver even though
>>the adaptec is disabled in the ASUS CMOS (strange).

>Wierd.  I guess the motherboard isn't really disabling the SCSI adapters
>or OSR5 is smarter than I've given it credit for being.

From what I can gather the ASUS is not fully disabling the adapter
eventhough the adapter bios message does not appear at boot, SCO still finds
it.

Quote:>>Using the defaults at Boot:, the adaptec 'blad' driver loaded, then the
>>Mylex (mdac) driver attempted to load and panicked the system.  So I
decided
>>to use the older 'mdac' drivers that came with the board using the boot
>>command:  'ahslink', then 'mdac' as the driver name and 'r'eplaced the
>>original driver when prompted.  The system booted just fine.

>Ahem.  "ahslink" died with 3.2v5.0.0 or possibly 3.2v5.0.2.  The new
>incantation is just "link".  See:
> http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_getmanpage?link+HW+OS5+link
>for details.

Ok, for what it is worth, 'ahslink' worked.  'ahslink' linked to 'link' ?

Quote:>Do you have any version numbers on the Mylex MDAC drivers involved?
>The Mylex version are at:
> ftp://ftp.mylex.com/pub/dac960/sco5_108.exe
>which requires MSDOS to extract.

Yes- version 1.08 was on the Mylex SCO driver disk.  However, I am not sure
which version comes on the SCO CD.

Quote:>>Both
>>controllers are setup as 'ha0' each with their own driver.

>BOTH the adaptec and the Mylex SCSI adapters are called ha0?  Huh?

Strange to me as well, however, I have spent some of the day installing and
uninstalling DAT tape drives and CD roms without a single glitch.  'mkdev
tape' ask with controller (defaults to blad).

Quote:>>The system has been running for a couple of hours now without any errors.
>>So for now all is right with the world.

>Well, ok and congrats, but methinks there are too many strange things
>happening to feel safe.  That which one does not understand will
>eventually bite.

I fully agree.   Further testing and performing system test is in order now.
We will see how it goes.

Steve
===================

1. Linux on dual PPro motherbords, ASUS P2B-DS/P2B-D2 ?

I'm thinking of buying a dual processor motherboard for a database
server.
I have good experience with ASUS P2B boards so I was thinking of
the P2B-DS board, but I also saw a new board on ASUS web page,
P2B-D2 with I2O and an Intel i960 I/O processor.
Does anyone have experience of running Linux on these boards ?

-leif

Leif Thuresson               Tel:    +46-18-4713860
Uppsala University           Fax:    +46-18-4713833

P.O.Box 533
S-751 21 Uppsala
Sweden

2. XF86 4.2 and GeForce ti 4400 recompile

3. Solaris x86/2.6 reboot problem (ASUS P2B-D/P2B-DS Board)

4. Thanks & Need more Recommendations

5. Solaris 7 & ASUS P2B-DS motherboard

6. Imagine 128 8MB video card problems?

7. Asus P2B-DS & 3.0-RELEASE: Will it work?

8. Is there a way to limit the number of concurrent connection in Apache???

9. Asus P2B-DS vs SuperMicro P6DGU

11. linux asus p2b-ds problem installing linux

12. Help Asus P2B-DS owners!

13. : APIC routing broken on ASUS P2B-DS