The death of OpenServer, not by SCO/Cal

Post by Jim Pazaren » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

 >Subject: Re: The death of OpenServer, not by SCO/Caldera
 >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:53:15 -0500

 >Database is DataFlex.
 >Now, I may be way off base, but for a very small intranet and an
 >internal/external web server, it seems like much too much work for no
 >gain.  I guess I will be forced to move to Linix.

 >thoughts ?
 >--

I started a small ISP using SCO 5.0.4 w/SCO native c compiler & Informix.
Then I discovered software I desired had trouble compiling with SCO compiler
and I switched to the GNU c compiler.

I decided to peel my DNS off of the SCO system and had to pick a platform.
I tried UnixWare 7, but found that it's 'c' compiler had similar
problems compiling software. I finally chose FreeBSD.

Then I decided to move mail services to a FreeBSD box.
Informix isn't directly ported to FreeBSD, so I installed the latest
SleepyCat Berkeley DB. I've abandoned Informix to the _free_ Berkeley DB,
and soon web services will be moved to FreeBSD.

Now I hear this talk that OpenServer is being phased out. Seems that my
decision to 'try' FreeBSD was worthwhile. I hate to jump ship and leave SCO
however I'm glad that I have performed the move before _they_ dessert ME.

--

                 http://www.qcislands.net/paz

Post by Thomas Dicke » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:07:53

>  >Subject: Re: The death of OpenServer, not by SCO/Caldera
>  >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:53:15 -0500

>  >Database is DataFlex.
>  >Now, I may be way off base, but for a very small intranet and an
>  >internal/external web server, it seems like much too much work for no
>  >gain.  I guess I will be forced to move to Linix.
>  >thoughts ?
>  >--
> I started a small ISP using SCO 5.0.4 w/SCO native c compiler & Informix.
> Then I discovered software I desired had trouble compiling with SCO compiler
> and I switched to the GNU c compiler.
> I decided to peel my DNS off of the SCO system and had to pick a platform.
> I tried UnixWare 7, but found that it's 'c' compiler had similar
> problems compiling software. I finally chose FreeBSD.

actually, that's a bad reflection on the quality of the code you're compiling
rather than the compiler.

(people who don't bother to learn the language properly end up using features
specific to gcc).

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com