SCO 5 License Manager problem

Post by Harryb Brow » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

We've been having a problem with the license manager under OpenServer 5.
It will stop working, and the only way to get it started again (and none
too reliably) is to go into software management and do a thorough check
of the system.
Prior to the last system crash, for instance, syslog comes up with:
bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
(PM_IPC_TIMEOUT) (860)
bert last message repeated 2 times
bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
(PM_IPC_READ_FAILED) (860)
bert last message repeated 20 times
bert ifor_sld: PMDCT: Error receivingt event. (PM_THREAD_IPC_BROKENPIPE) (136)
bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
(PM_IPC_READ_FAILED) (860)
bert sco_cpd: cpd: pmd died
bert syslog: licensing error: ipc write: Broken pipe

and so on and on until:
bert ifor_sld: PMDCT: Error accepting server side connection.
(PM_THREAD_IPC_TIMEOUT)
bert ifor_pmd: GMT: Fatal error - invalid event received. (0xa) (0)
bert ifor_pmd: terminating (core dumped)
bert ifor_pmd: terminated with status 86
bert sco_cpd: cpd: pm died

---------------------------------
Rebooting, soft or cold, would not bring the system up.  After running the
full system software check, it came back up, but is still flakey.

This is a system with about 100 users running word processing.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Post by Daniel l Aldh » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: We've been having a problem with the license manager under OpenServer 5.
: It will stop working, and the only way to get it started again (and none
: too reliably) is to go into software management and do a thorough check
: of the system.
: Prior to the last system crash, for instance, syslog comes up with:
: bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
: (PM_IPC_TIMEOUT) (860)
: bert last message repeated 2 times
: bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
: (PM_IPC_READ_FAILED) (860)
: bert last message repeated 20 times

I have this same problem at home if I overload the system,
ie. go 10-15 megs into swap. I think that the Licence Manager
does not like to be kept waiting. I would look for resource
problems.

Danny Aldham

SCO 5 License Manager problem

Post by Harryb Brow » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>: We've been having a problem with the license manager under OpenServer 5.
>: It will stop working, and the only way to get it started again (and none
>: too reliably) is to go into software management and do a thorough check
>: of the system.
>: Prior to the last system crash, for instance, syslog comes up with:
>: bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
>: (PM_IPC_TIMEOUT) (860)
>: bert last message repeated 2 times
>: bert syslog: licensing: Failed to receive the release event reply.
>: (PM_IPC_READ_FAILED) (860)

Here's some more information on the system:

It's an Acer/Altos 17000 with dual 60MHz Pentium processors, 128 MB ram,
9GB Seagate drive, DPT 2122 EISA SCSI controller with 64MB cache,
Racal Interlan 3210 Ethernet controller, Digiboard EPC/CON terminal
server, 512 user license, and about 100 users runing Uniplex 8.0
word processing.  We had to double the TCP connections to 512 in
order to run more than 100 users on the system.  The system does not
appear to be swapping.

Next time they have a problem, we'll try to get more statistics before
the system shuts down.

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Sourcer writes:

> When I reinstalled I excepted all OS 5's defaults as opposed to changing
> anything.

I can't parse that at all. What does it mean to "except a default"?

--

1. SCO OSR5.0.2 - X11 License Manager problem

Hi all. I have been trying to fix a X11 License Manager problem on
OSR 5.0.2, but failing. Here's what I did:

First I opened up the Software Manager in X11 to remove 2 SCO C
development packages I installed (both properly licensed), then
I double clicked on the License Manager icon and I got

        "Brand usage error, check details for correct usage"

and the OK button to quit.

Anyone care to shed some light on this topic, please? Thanks.

--

CSD/FSD IC Software Engineer        Phone: +852 2882 2282 x.172
Asian Electronics Ltd., Hong Kong   Fax  : +852 2577 9493

2. MkLinux install dies

3. SCO OSR 5.0.2 - X11 License Manager problem (Part 2)

4. ?HELP: tty active after logout

5. Problems with License Policy Manager, SCO OS5.0.0d + net100

6. adding a linux partition

7. SCO OSR5.0.2: Unable to open License Manager in X

8. LAN coonection

9. Announce: NCD NC License Manager For SCO

10. SCO 5 License Manager

11. License problem in upgrade SCO 3.2 to SCO Openserver 5

12. LUM (License User Manager) problem

13. cc / license manager problem