Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by com.. » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00



We have installed a SCSI Zip drive on to Open Server Unix with
marginal results.  We have been using the tar and ptar commands
with little success.

We would prefer to use an IDE Zip under SCO, but belive the drivers
are not supported.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Colin Overton
Tasmania, Australia.

 
 
 

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by Art Alzat » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00


You must configure the drive using System V device scheme,
 ej. /dev/dsk/1s0, /dev/dsk/2s0 etc.

then you may manipulate your device as desired using mknod and mirroring
the major and minor device numbers and the device type.

I have not been succesful in mounting a zip drive as a dos disk.

Art Alzate


> We have installed a SCSI Zip drive on to Open Server Unix with
> marginal results.  We have been using the tar and ptar commands
> with little success.

> We would prefer to use an IDE Zip under SCO, but belive the drivers
> are not supported.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Best regards,

> Colin Overton
> Tasmania, Australia.


 
 
 

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by Richard Seede » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Why are you using tar and ptar?  Zip disks mount as file systems; once
mounted you can use copy commands, or, I suppose, tar/ptar to disk files
on the Zip file system.  See the IOMEGA web page for detailed directions
on setting up the Zip drive.

Richard Seeder


> We have installed a SCSI Zip drive on to Open Server Unix with
> marginal results.  We have been using the tar and ptar commands
> with little success.

> We would prefer to use an IDE Zip under SCO, but belive the drivers
> are not supported.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Best regards,

> Colin Overton
> Tasmania, Australia.

 
 
 

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by Donald E. Stidwel » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00


If you have the DOS tools loaded, you can access the Zip drive with a DOS
partition on it.  However, I was only able to do this if I had a small
*real* DOS partition on the hard drive.

Also, access to the ZIP drive with DOS is extremely slow.

Don


> You must configure the drive using System V device scheme,
>  ej. /dev/dsk/1s0, /dev/dsk/2s0 etc.

> then you may manipulate your device as desired using mknod and mirroring
> the major and minor device numbers and the device type.

> I have not been succesful in mounting a zip drive as a dos disk.

> Art Alzate


> > We have installed a SCSI Zip drive on to Open Server Unix with
> > marginal results.  We have been using the tar and ptar commands
> > with little success.

> > We would prefer to use an IDE Zip under SCO, but belive the drivers
> > are not supported.

> > Any help would be appreciated.

> > Best regards,

> > Colin Overton
> > Tasmania, Australia.

 
 
 

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by Dan Sada » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Quote:> If you have the DOS tools loaded, you can access the Zip drive with a
> DOS partition on it.  However, I was only able to do this if I had a
> small *real* DOS partition on the hard drive.

What drive letter did you use?  Or what device file?

TIA

!^NavFont02F00D70008QGABHGD815EE

--
<...\<Dan Sadaka\...........>
<.................Web-Site One, Inc>
<...................................Your Home on the Web>

<...http://www.web-site1.com>

 
 
 

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by Donald E. Stidwel » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00




> > If you have the DOS tools loaded, you can access the Zip drive with a
> > DOS partition on it.  However, I was only able to do this if I had a
> > small *real* DOS partition on the hard drive.

> What drive letter did you use?  Or what device file?

> TIA

Drive D:. Device file on my machine is /dev/1s0.

I used the filesystem manager to mount it into the directory tree at
/mnt/zip as well.

Don

 
 
 

Zip Drive on SCO Unix

Post by Richard Seede » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I use /dev/dsk/1sC, the DOS drive equivalent of /dev/dsk/1s0.  Doesn't
require any DOS partition on the hard drive.

Richard Seeder



> > If you have the DOS tools loaded, you can access the Zip drive with a
> > DOS partition on it.  However, I was only able to do this if I had a
> > small *real* DOS partition on the hard drive.

> What drive letter did you use?  Or what device file?

> TIA

> !^NavFont02F00D70008QGABHGD815EE

> --
> <...\<Dan Sadaka\...........>
> <.................Web-Site One, Inc>
> <...................................Your Home on the Web>

> <...http://www.web-site1.com>