Developement System Questions

Post by us009.. » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I have to question the rationale behind your porting strategy.  You
are
> seriously going to port to the favourite OS of some random people on
> Usenet without even telling them what the applications are?  Come
on!

> I also have to take some exception to the "fiasco" comment--the
> reaction to OpenServer 5 has been overwhelmingly positive,
especially
> from software developers.  If you have any details that might
clarify
> your inflammatory comment, we would be most interested to hear them.

> Having said that, we would hate to lose a customer (even a bellicose
> one), and I hope the following article reduces the frustration you
are
> having with DLLs, and by extension (it would appear) with OpenServer
> 5.

I did not start the quarrel, the OSE5 fiasco did. There are many, many
many bugs.  The one that caused us most customer complaints is the
inability of X clients to work with connections over the network.
(Look in your own Supplement updates). The fiasco is that now we have
to bear the expense of travel and time to each customer site to
install the fixes. This will add a cost about equal the cost of your
inept software and I will probably have to do it all over again when
you finally fix something else. Of course I want to port to an OS that
is reliable. Come on! Are you for real.

The questions regarding shared libraries are prompted by the fact that
even though this appears to be a major difference with the previous
Developement System, you don't provide release notes of any kind when
we purchase the UPDATE version. Un-believable.

Let me guess. You are an SCO employee, have access to all
documentation, sources, other software people at SCO, and get paid by
them. I on the other hand paid SCO for software that dosen't work,
isn't supported unless I pay exhorbitant fees, and is documented only
in the 'man' pages (useless if you DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF THE NEW
FUNCTIONS). Gee, I wonder why there is a difference of opinion.

C. Regalia

Post by Tony Lawren » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Let me guess. You are an SCO employee, have access to all
: documentation, sources, other software people at SCO, and get paid by
: them. I on the other hand paid SCO for software that dosen't work,
: isn't supported unless I pay exhorbitant fees, and is documented only
: in the 'man' pages (useless if you DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF THE NEW
: FUNCTIONS).

Try apropos.

Try scohelp or cm_help.  If, like me, you can't stand reading
html manuals, pony up for the written documentation.

--
Tony