Using fsdb on damaged filesystems

Post by <wry.. » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Can you tell me something more about fsdb that I can find in "man".
I would like to restore information on jaz disk installed on SCO unix
server. fsck CANNOT READ BLK: 1507324.
With fsdb I can see my files and directories but I cant do nothing more.
Thanks,
Wojtek

Post by Radek Tomi » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Sent: Friday, December 17, 1999 2:30 AM
> Can you tell me something more about fsdb that I can find in "man".
> I would like to restore information on jaz disk installed on SCO unix
> server. fsck CANNOT READ BLK: 1507324.

Have you tried mounting the Jaz cartridge with read-only option ?

  mount -r /dev/<JazFileSystem> /mnt

Try this, it usually works.

Alternatively, you may want to try `scsibadblk` command to scan the Jaz
cartridge for bad blocks and remap those blocks, then trying to use `fsck`
again.

Quote:> With fsdb I can see my files and directories but I cant do nothing more.

If you won't be able to mount this Jaz cartridge, download
<http://members.xoom.com/rts101/tmp/fsrd> or
<ftp://ftp.mediumsoft.cz/private/rts/tmp/fsrd> and do this:

  dev="/dev/<Jaz>"
  ./fsrd -e ${dev} dir -ir | ./fsrd -e ${dev} inode -v -dc - |
    ( cd <backup-dir>; cpio -iduvm )

to restore all files/directories.

--
Radek Tomis

1. Docs for fsdb? Filesystem Repair FAQ?

I've been asked to do data recovery on a filesystem that has lost the
first 1100 inodes. I need to get back the other 3,000 files for which
inodes still exist. fsck is no help -- it punts because there's no root --
and it wouldn't help anyway because it wants to put all those inodes in
lost+found which is also gone.

What I really want is something akin to dos's "Convert Lost Chains to
Files?" question. Failing that, I'd love to tell fsck to dump all the
recovered files in another file system (I've got disk space to burn).
What would be best is a "norton for unix" -- I'm using fsdb right now, and
I'd be happy if someone knows some magic to dump an inode and it's file
out to somewhere else.

Any ideas? I'm running ISC V3.0, the dead filesystem is S51K, I'm using
some old SCO manuals because that's all I have.

2. handling quite a few sockets

3. Catastrophe -> fsch damaged totaly the filesystem

4. MultiSerial Card for Linux (Specialix) HELP !!!

5. HELP!! Filesystem damage

6. SUNOS vmstat memory fre - decrease

7. fsck filesystem without damaging it?

8. renice, solaris 2.1, sparccenter2000

9. Ext2 FILESYSTEM BADLY DAMAGED

10. filesystem damaged, maybe by Win32s?

11. MkLinux: damage to HFS filesystem

12. How to reset damaged colormap (damaged by netscape -install)

13. Catastrophe -> fsch damaged totaly the filesystem