100-200 or more Users on a SCO BOX

Post by Brian Keith Smit » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

My company is looking to go with SCO running on a Dual or Quad Pentium Pro
Box. We will have somewhere between 250 and 300 users hitting it at once.
Has anyone else done this? And on what kind of machine? How is your
performance? Does SCO crash or have problems with that many users? My users
would be hitting it hard for 8-10 hrs a day, every day.Also, some of our
users will be using FacetTerm and will have 3 sessions available to them.

Any past experience would be appreciated.
--
Brian Keith Smith
Carolina Handling, LLC

Post by Aris Stathaki » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> My company is looking to go with SCO running on a Dual or Quad Pentium Pro
> Box. We will have somewhere between 250 and 300 users hitting it at once.
> Has anyone else done this? And on what kind of machine? How is your
> performance? Does SCO crash or have problems with that many users? My users
> would be hitting it hard for 8-10 hrs a day, every day.Also, some of our
> users will be using FacetTerm and will have 3 sessions available to them.

> Any past experience would be appreciated.

Several hundred users are not unheard of.  If you visit
http://www.configs.co.za/ - this company regularly does SCO boxes with
several hundred users.  They have MANY sites with 100-200 users, and
quite a few with up to 600 users.  I believe they are working on a site
which will support 1200 simultaneous users.

They use Corollary hardware.

Regards,

Aris

100-200 or more Users on a SCO BOX

Post by John W. Templ » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Several hundred users are not unheard of.  If you visit

Speaking of several hundred users, is there any way to speed up the
boot time of a system with several hundred accounts?  Our main OSR5
server sits for some 10-15 minutes at "checking protected password..."
for 1,500 users while booting.  It's a Compaq P90 Prosignia, 80MB,
Barracuda SCSI drive.
--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

1. 100-200 or more users hitting a SINGLE SCO SERVER from multiple sites

Has any company out there implemented SCO or SCO Openserver on a single
server with 100-200 users hitting the box at once.
I want to implement a SCO system where there would be 100-200 users hitting
the box hard simultaneously all day every day. I'm currently looking into
dual/quad pentium pro servers with SCSI-2FW RAID controllers and drives
with approx 384 MB RAM and around 20 GB disk storage. Our file sizes top
out at around 250MB per file and the file structure used by our RM-COBOL
based application is ISAM based.

Is anyone running a system with this many users hitting a SINGLE SCO
SERVER? Our terminals are running FacetTerm currently, and they will
continue to if we migrate to SCO. Our PC's will connect via Ethernet and
run Advanced File and Print Server to share files and printers.

Anyone with info, please reply... I'm trying to decide if this is the best
way for my company to approach their system's upgrade.
--
Brian Keith Smith
Carolina Handling, LLC

2. network config

3. Netra T1 100 - T1 200 - 120 Differences

4. MacOS filesharing and LinuxPPC 4 Lite

5. cannot get Asante FAST 10/100 PCI card to work in Starmax 4000/200 LINUXPPC 2000

6. Logitech Itouch Keyboard

7. AlphaStation 200 4/100 Sound question

8. Wacom Help?

9. Alpha Station 200/4 100 Sound + Net

10. Linux on AS 200 4/100

11. Dead AlphaStation 200 4/100 or memory troubles

12. Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 200 MMX