3Com 589D pcmcia card and OS 5.02 not working

3Com 589D pcmcia card and OS 5.02 not working

Post by Donald Campbel » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone had any success running a 3C589D PCMCIA network card under
FreeSCO v5.02?

Using the configuration and diagnostic I have confirmed that the card is
configured for IRQ 15 and addr 300. I have installed the builtin SCO
driver for this card on these settings.

On boot-up I get:
    '3Com EtherLink III unit 0 not present in PCMCIA slot 1'

Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards
Donald Campbell

3Com 589D pcmcia card and OS 5.02 not working

Post by David Judic » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Try the drivers from Lynnsoft.  I have a Micron Notebook running SCO OS5
r5.0.2 running with a 3COM 3C589D with the Lynnsoft drives and it works
great!
http://www.lynnsoft.com/
David Judice

Quote:

Post by Donald Campbel » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Try the drivers from Lynnsoft.  I have a Micron Notebook running SCO OS5
>r5.0.2 running with a 3COM 3C589D with the Lynnsoft drives and it works
>great!
>http://www.lynnsoft.com/
>David Judice

>> Has anyone had any success running a 3C589D PCMCIA network card under
>> FreeSCO v5.02?

>> Using the configuration and diagnostic I have confirmed that the card is
>> configured for IRQ 15 and addr 300. I have installed the builtin SCO
>> driver for this card on these settings.

>> On boot-up I get:
>>     '3Com EtherLink III unit 0 not present in PCMCIA slot 1'

>> Has anyone got any ideas?

The Lynsoft soft software may be my only solution. However, at 249 USD a
time its not cheap.

Regards
Donald Campbell

Post by Tony Gerardi » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > Has anyone had any success running a 3C589D PCMCIA network card
> under
> > FreeSCO v5.02?

> > Using the configuration and diagnostic I have confirmed that the
> card is
> > configured for IRQ 15 and addr 300. I have installed the builtin SCO

> > driver for this card on these settings.

> > On boot-up I get:
> >     '3Com EtherLink III unit 0 not present in PCMCIA slot 1'

> OpenServer's built-in 3c589 driver only works on machines with a
> certain
> rather old Intel PCMCIA chipset.  I don't think the chipset has even
> been manufactured for 2-3 years.

> If you want a 3c589 driver that does anything useful, contact LynnSoft

> (www.lynnsoft.com)...

> >Bela<

That is very true... We have tge 589C card at the office.  It worked
fine on our Toshiba Satelite pro 2130CS 486DX4-75, but when we got a new
laptop, An Acernote Lite, we could never get it to work since the ACER
uses a chipset designed by cyrix for the PCMCIA controller.  I haven't
yet tried it on our new Toshiba TECRA 500CDT, but will do so sometime
this week or next, when it is in the office long enough to test :)  One
nice thing about the 500CDT is that the built-in modem is recognized as
a standard tty device.  Just did an mkdev serial, configured /dev/tty2A
(COM2) and some minor tweaking of the TTHOG and NCLIST kernel parameters
to avoid the "Garbage on serial port dev 8, shutting down port"  message
due to the high serial port speed, and it works like a charm.

Any other PCMCIA ethernet cards that work in most laptops?  Any ideas?

Thanks..
-Tony

1. Problem identifying 3COM 589D PCMCIA network card with RedHat Linux

All:

I have installed RedHat Linux 4.2 on Gateway Solo 9100XL.  Everything
is okay except the 3COM 589D PCMCIA card (it is not one of the driver
available with RedHat Linux 4.2.  The error messages from the
/var/log/messages files indicate that the PCMCIA cards are being
identified as memory cards.  The even more strange thing is that I had
2 reboots in which the card identification is correct (i.e., cardmgr
correctly identifies the 3COM 389D card), but then subsequent reboots
all returns memory cards being identified.  From the PCMCIA HOWTO
info, this looks like memory window problem and ROM shadowing.  I
checked the BIOS setup available on the Gateway Solo (with F2 key) and
there is no way to disable ROM shadowing and my few tries with
different memory window do not work.

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

K.C. Ng

2. Mail Problem - Please help!

3. Installing a 3com 3C509B UTP card - OpenServer 5.02

4. IP Masquerading

5. Toshiba 500CS and 3Com 589D PCMCIA Ethernet

6. Shared server, multiple accounts: no domain name differentiation?

7. 3com PCMCIA card not working

8. what OS would you sugest for this computer?

9. HP deskjet 600 not working with SCO openserver 5.02

10. 3com 3C509b install in OpenServer 5.02

11. Changing IP address of SCO OS 5.02....

12. Perl 5.004_04 with dynamic loading under SCO OS 5.02

13. Restricting Multiple FTP Users on OS 5.02 or 5.04 ??